Meaning of date degree "earned"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Fawna

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I have an odd question. I completed all coursework for my degree in year 2010 and that is the date through which I attended that college (end date). However, I did not file for graduation and receive my diploma until year 2014 (strange story and I didn't need my diploma). Oddly, AMCAS will only allow one to earn a degree 1 year after the last coursework was completed. Which scenario do you recommend?

1. I completed coursework in 2010, never attended that college after 2010 and earned the degree in 2010 (even though transcript will say "degree awarded 2014")?
or
2. should I extend the "attended date" through 2014 (even though I didn't attend for 4 years) and then select 2014 as the date the degree was "earned" because that is when it was awarded? (this is what AMCAS helpline suggested) BUT, it makes it look like I took 8 years to complete my degree! I know adcoms can see I never attended classes at that college after 2010, but I did attend classes at other colleges (certificate program and to improve my BCPM) and they may think I needed those to graduate.

Please help.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, thank you both! I wasn't trying to falsify anything, just reading too much into "date earned" and worrying about it looking like it took 8 years for me to finish my degree.
 
I'm trying to say this in the nicest possible way, but do take extra care with the CARS section.
Harsh crowd! I figured your question* might be a shot at my situation, but to me "date earned" =/= "date awarded."

And I didn't want to "falsify" my dates of attendance at a school I quit attending 4 years previously so I could put in the correct degree date awarded/earned.
So, I guess there will be some "falsifying" either way I go.

Thanks again for the quick responses, @Goro and @LizzyM!

*on the old MCAT I got a 95th percentile verbal score, the sciences weren't as great. I thought you were referring to my retake. 🙂