Meaningful difference between 3.43 and 3.48 sGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hubbsbubbs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A few questions:

Over how many semesters did you take those 6 classes?
What classes were they?
Are you applying in June?
You mentioned you don't want to wait another year but what are you doing this semester? I don't think it's absolutely necessary but two other classes this spring could only help...?

Schools tend to be more forgiving of a low gpa /high mcat than the reverse. However, obviously a higher BCPM GPA will help your chances more than anything and you'd be remiss to avoid that improvement. Ideally you'd get that BCPM over a 3.5 to really show you're committed to improvement, the downward trend in UG is gonna hurt you unfortunately, so we need to mitigate that with high grades in recent coursework.

Good job on the MCAT btw!

Here's a handy chart from the AAMC to give you an idea of your chances based on test metrics
https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstablea23.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd take the classes and save learning to code a few months longer until after you've submitted your primary

Reactions: 1 user
I took 1 class last Spring, 1 in the summer, 3 in the Fall, and taking 1 now (spring) all while working full time.
They were all upper-division bio classes, like biostats, neuro, infectious disease.
Yes, applying in June.
This semester, I'm working, taking 1 class, doing volunteerwork. Optional: learning to code and dating.
Since you're working full time are you taking these classes as regularly scheduled lectures or are you taking them as night/online classes? Is this at a community college or State/Private college?

I took 1 class last Spring, 1 in the summer, 3 in the Fall, and taking 1 now (spring) all while working full time.
They were all upper-division bio classes, like biostats, neuro, infectious disease.
Yes, applying in June.
This semester, I'm working, taking 1 class, doing volunteerwork. Optional: learning to code and dating.

I think you'll be ok! Maybe if you don't hear anything by the fall you can sign up for two classes next spring but I don't think you'll need to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I was in the same boat. I took the classes. Sometimes I think it was a pointless bump in gpa that cost me $$ and other times I think it'll be worth it. We'll see next cycle! You're lucky you have your MCAT done. Working full-time + MCAT prep + all of life's normal obstacles has been awful.