Mechanical Pencils Allowed to PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slatenator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This seems like kind of a stupid questions for this forum, but are you allowed to take mechanical #2 pencils into the PCAT or do they have to be the "old school" wooden ones. Man, I hate the old school wooden ones.

Also, for the valid ID I have a driver's license. I don't have a passport. What would be a good for the second form of ID. Maybe a badge with my photo from my job? A social security card?

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes mechanical pencils are allowed since most lead is #2. Just make sure your pencil says HB or #2 and you're fine.

School ID? Yearbook photo?

2nd ID does not require a picture. It can be a credit card.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the June PCAT at Northern Illinois University, the test administrator did not allow mechanical pencils or any special erasers (meaning those not attached to a #2 pencil) to be used. All of those items had to be put up on a table near the front along with all of your personal items. She handed out brand new #2 pencils to a lot of disgruntled test takers. So, realize that you may be allowed to use them but then again you might not.

I had the same experience with the mechanical pencils. We had to put them away and they gave us pencils to use. I like mechanical pencils so I was not happy.

What about a bank card?

A debit card? I think that counts. You might want to take something extra just in case, ie. a school ID or something, for just in case situations one of your IDs don't pan out. Just you know, a bunch of proof that says you are who you are. I had no problems with a credit card and driver's license last year.

I got this from the website:

Acceptable forms of primary valid, unexpired IDs with photograph and signature include:

• Driver’s license
  • Government-issued identification card
  • Passport
Acceptable forms of secondary valid, unexpired IDs include:

• Credit card (with or without photograph)
  • Library card
  • Utility bill (with your name and address appearing exactly the same as on your primary ID)

Alright! I'm going to load my mechanical pencil up with a microfilm of the kaplan book. Or how about a corked wood pencil with a microfilm...

A debit card? I think that counts. You might want to take something extra just in case, ie. a school ID or something, for just in case situations one of your IDs don't pan out. Just you know, a bunch of proof that says you are who you are. I had no problems with a credit card and driver's license last year.

I got this from the website:

Acceptable forms of primary valid, unexpired IDs with photograph and signature include:

• Driver’s license
  • Government-issued identification card
  • Passport
Acceptable forms of secondary valid, unexpired IDs include:

• Credit card (with or without photograph)
  • Library card
  • Utility bill (with your name and address appearing exactly the same as on your primary ID)

I thought all credit cards don't come with a picture.:confused:

Just a heads up: last time I came and showed them my license and credit card (which had no picture), and they asked me if I had another form of secondary ID with a photo so I showed them my school ID which they accepted.

I actually emailed them about this and they told me both times" only HB number regular pencils are allowed"...they were wrong...a lot of people at my test today were using mechanical pencils.

I got to use my mechanical pencil today. Who wants to write an essay with the other big "yellow" ones where you have to keep turning the pencil in your hand every 2 minutes so you get a sharp edge on the damn lead...I DON"T...So it worked out ok I guess, with the mechanical pencil atleast......

all our mechanical pencils were confiscated at the door and two regular ones per person were given out. And we were not allowed to sharpen them at all "because it disturbed the class next to us". Never mind the fact that we had construction workers beating nails into walls above, and a marching band was walking around the building practicing for this afternoon's homecoming...

We were able to use mechanical pencils. The proctors said #2 pencils or HB pencils. My mechanical pencils said #2 on them.

all our mechanical pencils were confiscated at the door and two regular ones per person were given out. And we were not allowed to sharpen them at all "because it disturbed the class next to us". Never mind the fact that we had construction workers beating nails into walls above, and a marching band was walking around the building practicing for this afternoon's homecoming...

that sucks. We were allowed to use mechanical pencils. I like using mechanical ones for the essay (to get a sharp edge). I actually like using normal pencils for bubble sheets though (I like using the blunt edges there).

Can you bring a cheapo small pencil sharpener> If so, a suggestion for people who do don;t like normal pencils for the essays - the essays are at the beginning and after the break. So at the beginning have multiple sharpened pencils and after the first one gets really bad, use the next one. During the break, sharpen the pencils use newly sharp pencils for the essay.

that sucks. We were allowed to use mechanical pencils. I like using mechanical ones for the essay (to get a sharp edge).
I had to pull the wood part from the tip of the pencil during essay because I had nothing left to write with, lol. Talk about legibility! But that's alright. I'll know next time, if there is next time!

For the record, they let everyone use mechanical pencils. Honestly, I don't even know where to buy wood pencils anymore. Use mechanical and save trees!

We had to use old-school pencils. No mechanicals allowed unfortunately (went out and bought 5 the night before in a frenzy). Anyway, school IDs also work as your 2nd form of ID. Worked for me at least

I had a friend who used a mechanical pencil in August and she received 0's (zeroes) on all sections except essay. She concluded the machine must not have been able to read her answers (but the essays are read by humans.)

I had a friend who used a mechanical pencil in August and she received 0's (zeroes) on all sections except essay. She concluded the machine must not have been able to read her answers (but the essays are read by humans.)

That's her problem. She used the wrong type of pencil/lead. If you use a regular pencil with a different type of lead, you'd get the same problem. If you use a mechanical pencil that has No.2, then it's fine.

I've used a mechanical pencil in the past, and I got my scores fine.

I used one for the Oct. 17th exam, and ... since it was the same pencil from the previous test, I think the scores will be fine.

I'd say take a spare pencil just in case your proctor sucks. Even if you don't take an extra pencil, my proctors always had extra pencils on hand.

All this mechanical pencil nonsense exemplifies how the PCAT regulations need to focus less on being strict and more on being consistent.

No mechanical pencils... seriously? Where is the harm? And if that's the way you want to do things, fine. At least make it uniform across the board.

No separate erasers.... !? (i didn't have this problem but I see it mentioned above) People who are forced to use the pink rubber on the ends of their regular pencils are at a huge disadvantage.

1 minute warnings. Some people got them, some people didn't. This is a huge advantage, IMO. Again, do whichever you want but please maintain some consistency.

Proctor leniency.... one test taker in my room was still scribbling away after the allotted time and the proctor saw it and did nothing. Instead, he repeats "Come on everyone, pencils down please". Meanwhile, under other proctors, the test would be (rightfully) voided.