Med Application School list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipressurexd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am trying to put together a list of med schools to send in applications and am hoping for some advice.

I am a California resident and graduated UC Berkeley.

My stats:
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.62
MCAT: 515 (130/129/128/128)

150+ hours of non-clinical volunteering (food distributions for low income families)
150+ of clinical volunteering (ICU)
16 hours per week of research in both 2 years of undergrad and gap year
16+ hours working at the OLAC office and museum guide for Lawrence Hall of Science during undergrad
100 hours of cardiology shadowing
8hrs/week of working as receptionist/medical assistant at a family member's primary care clinic

Expecting one publication by June 2019 (fingers crossed).

Currently, I have:
ALL UCs, except Riverside
U VM
U Toledo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Nova MD
CUSM

I will also be working on DO applications, but have not yet put together a list.

I am wondering if there are other schools I should consider. Also, I am trying to apply to UCSF, but it is a very far reach considering their MCAT and GPA. Should I still consider applying? Should I consider Carribean schools as a backup?

Thank you all very very much!

Members don't see this ad.

this list looks good. You've got a few reach schools but a lot of schools where your numbers fit well in. I'd recommend adding UCR since you're a californian resident.

You don't need to apply Caribbean, your stats are fine, especially if you're applying DO too.

The total number of schools is a little high IMO but if you have the money and the time to prewrite secondaries, that's not a problem.

this list looks good. You've got a few reach schools but a lot of schools where your numbers fit well in. I'd recommend adding UCR since you're a californian resident.

You don't need to apply Caribbean, your stats are fine, especially if you're applying DO too.

The total number of schools is a little high IMO but if you have the money and the time to prewrite secondaries, that's not a problem.

Thank you for the reply. I agree the list is long, but since I am starting out I feel like I should just list as many as I can then narrow down when I do more research into individual schools and advice from others. I heard UCR usually accepts from inland empire which I am not necessarily from O_O... not too sure about that actually.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply. I agree the list is long, but since I am starting out I feel like I should just list as many as I can then narrow down when I do more research into individual schools and advice from others. I heard UCR usually accepts from inland empire which I am not necessarily from O_O... not too sure about that actually.

you're right they do have a strong preference for IE residents. I think it's still worth applying as a California resident though. I did and am not from IE

Hello!

I am trying to put together a list of med schools to send in applications and am hoping for some advice.

I am a California resident and graduated UC Berkeley.

My stats:
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.62
MCAT: 515 (130/129/128/128)

150+ hours of non-clinical volunteering (food distributions for low income families)
150+ of clinical volunteering (ICU)
16 hours per week of research in both 2 years of undergrad and gap year
16+ hours working at the OLAC office and museum guide for Lawrence Hall of Science during undergrad
100 hours of cardiology shadowing
8hrs/week of working as receptionist/medical assistant at a family member's primary care clinic

Expecting one publication by June 2019 (fingers crossed).

Currently, I have:
ALL UCs, except Riverside
U VM
U Toledo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Nova MD
CUSM

I will also be working on DO applications, but have not yet put together a list.

I am wondering if there are other schools I should consider. Also, I am trying to apply to UCSF, but it is a very far reach considering their MCAT and GPA. Should I still consider applying? Should I consider Carribean schools as a backup?

Thank you all very very much!
Carib??? Under NO circumstances should you apply there.

UCSF will be a donation.

Get in some more service to others less fortunate than yourself (unless your 150+ means > 200 hrs in reality)

As much as I'd like to have you at my school, I don't think that you need any DO schools on the list. But add Western and Touro-CA if you really, really want to stay in CA.

Consider adding Kaiser if they're taking apps; Netter, VCU,

I will consider Netter and VCU. I need to look more into Kaiser.

Thank you for the advice!

Last edited: