Med/Peds as a D.O.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

zakinthebox

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have any experience/knowledge/data regarding D.O. grads getting matched in Med/Peds? I am currently wrestling with the idea of applying Med/Peds vs. IM vs. both. If I could have it my way, I would definitely choose Med/Peds over IM, with other things (institution, location, etc...) being equal. However, given the choice of IM in the region I want to be in (New England, ideally CT/MA/RI) vs. Med/Peds elsewhere, things would be less clear.

I guess what I am trying to ascertain is how much worse are my chances of matching at a program in my desired region in Med/Peds vs. categorical IM? Just by sheer numbers of programs and spots in each program, it seems MUCH harder to match Med/Peds. Looking at the current residents at some institutions, it seems some are very "DO friendly," except then all the Med/Peds housestaff are MDs.

I guess what I am trying to say is I really want to be trained in the care of adults and children and have the option of sub-specializing in either or both further down the line, but I don't know if it's worth risking not getting matched...
 
Sorry, disregard this as there is a very similar thread where this is already being discussed. In my defense, it didn't "pop-up" while I was naming mine...