Med/Peds as a D.O.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zakinthebox

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience/knowledge/data regarding D.O. grads getting matched in Med/Peds? I am currently wrestling with the idea of applying Med/Peds vs. IM vs. both. If I could have it my way, I would definitely choose Med/Peds over IM, with other things (institution, location, etc...) being equal. However, given the choice of IM in the region I want to be in (New England, ideally CT/MA/RI) vs. Med/Peds elsewhere, things would be less clear.

I guess what I am trying to ascertain is how much worse are my chances of matching at a program in my desired region in Med/Peds vs. categorical IM? Just by sheer numbers of programs and spots in each program, it seems MUCH harder to match Med/Peds. Looking at the current residents at some institutions, it seems some are very "DO friendly," except then all the Med/Peds housestaff are MDs.

I guess what I am trying to say is I really want to be trained in the care of adults and children and have the option of sub-specializing in either or both further down the line, but I don't know if it's worth risking not getting matched...

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, disregard this as there is a very similar thread where this is already being discussed. In my defense, it didn't "pop-up" while I was naming mine...