Med/Peds Procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Salaam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a current M3 planning on applying Med/Peds this fall. One of the aspects of residency that I'm most nervous about is procedures. I really haven't had a lot of exposure to them in medical school, but would like to use some of my electives this year to gain more experience. Within IM and Peds, what would you say are the procedures you should know how to do before entering residency? What are most common?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll eventually get to do intubations, central lines, alines, thoras, paras, LPs, arthrocentesis, etc, but you don't need to come into residency prepared to do any of them. More exposure never hurts though, so if you can get it go for it

Hi,

I am a current M3 planning on applying Med/Peds this fall. One of the aspects of residency that I'm most nervous about is procedures. I really haven't had a lot of exposure to them in medical school, but would like to use some of my electives this year to gain more experience. Within IM and Peds, what would you say are the procedures you should know how to do before entering residency? What are most common?

Thanks!

I agree with the other poster. If you have done zero procedures, you're fine. I think it would be nice (though, again, totally not necessary) if you knew how to do blood draws, particularly on children. Learning to negotiate with them is a difficult experience.