Med-Peds Program Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrFutureDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting my interviews in Med-Peds next week and then my big Midwestern tour in December. Getting interviews was easier than I thought it would be. Narrowing down the list was the hard part. I think it would help to hear what people think about thier interviews and review of the programs they interview in. Here is my list and I will update as I go along.

SUNY Stony Brook
MetroHealth, Cleveland
U of Michigan
MSU Grand Rapids
MSU Kalamazoo
U of Indiana
Rush
Medical College of Wisconsin
Baylor
Rochester

Members don't see this ad.

Stony - Small program. Run-down facilities and separate medicine and peds clinics. Not very impressed with residents and PD was boring, uninspiring. No international opps. High cost of living.

U of Michigan - Too much tertiary care, not enough bread and butter medicine. Nice facilities with new Children's hospital coming soon. Very nice PD. Smart residents but quirky. They seemed to like to party a lot (maybe too much for my taste). Only a handful of residents showed up for Med morning report vs. 30+ med and med/peds applicants. Not a lot of interest on global health. Tour did not include clinics

Indiana - Big on global health with great opps in Africa but can also go somewhere else. Friendly residents with a variety of interests. 5 different hospitals which provide great diversity of patients. Children's hops adding a new tower soon and building a new county hospital done in a few years. Did not see clinics either.

UNC - Smart friendly residents but also a bit weird. Fairly new PD was also too weird for my taste. Nice hospitals with high level of care. Had to add a couple of community hosp to get the bread and butter but they are over 30 min away. Fairly new combined continuity clinic in shopping strip 10 min away. New offices but not a lot of space for residents.

VCU - Small program. Not very impressed with residents or PD. Nice hospital with new tower. Diversity of patients. Have graduated many combined ID fellows (including PD). Pleasantly surprised by Richmond with great cost of living.

Maryland - New PD this year. Fun residents. Trying to develop Global Health, Research, Advocacy, etc tracks. Nice facilities located in same area of city, although peds floor is small. Separate Med and Peds clinics in Baltimore during 4 years plus combined suburban/rural med/peds clinic starting on second year. Clinic can be as far as 1.5 hours away according to resident. Heavily influenced by categorial programs and I did not feel a strong Med/peds culture. Also, heavy interest in research and fellowship.

Christiana - Great PD, very knowledgable and involved with national Med/Peds organizations. Very nice residents but older. Christiana hosp is fairly new with great facilities, including awesome sim center. Wilmington is adding a new tower by 2012. Plans to have a new Children's hosp in ~5 years. Combined continuity clinic at Wilmington. Not very impressed with med morning report/chiefs. Hoping to create a new Global health track with chance to go abroad during 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year.

I'd like to know what you thought about the programs you've visited...

Hi all,
My fiance and I are trying to match together--I'm doing med-peds and he's doing ophtho. Ophtho is early match so he has to submit his rank list in a couple weeks or less so we're going crazy! Just curious as to what you all think of the following programs and how you would rank them:
UMiss
UTHouston
Tennessee
UAB
UKentucky
ULouisville

Any comments or rank orders would be greatly appreciated!!