Med-Peds Ranks Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cilfaz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know everyone interviewed in different places and even if we did interview in the same places we are not going to rank programs the same way. I am excited to be done with my interviews and working on my rank list. There were no programs I wouldn't be happy to be at. I screened those out before interviews. I know which two I want on top and which I will put on the bottom but the middle seven I am not sure about. So many things to think about (Big program v. small, big city v. small, university v community, name recognition v. quality, location) Here is my starting point. Curious to see what others are doing.

1. U of Rochester
2. Michigan State/Kalamazoo
3. U of Michigan
4. Harvard BW/Childrens
5. Baystate
6. Brown
7. Rush
8. Wright State
9. Albany
10. Michigan State/Grand Rapids
11. LIJ Peds (Dad is an alum but no med-peds there)

Members don't see this ad.

My current list is:

1. U of Minnesota
2. UT Memphis
3. Indiana U
4. U Cincinnati
5. U Rochester
6. OSU
7. MCW
8. Baystate
9. Case Western UH/Rainbow Babies
10. Christiana

The real challenge is 1 and 2 are really 1 and 1a for me at the moment. I interview at Cincy next week so this may change a bit.

Anyone have an opinion on MUSC, Buffalo or Maine? Especially MUSC:)

My very tentative top 5 list.

1. Baystate
2. Albany
3. Rochester
4. Maine
5. UNC

Members don't see this ad :)

1. Baystate
2. Albany
3. Rochester
4. Maine
5. UNC

Looks like we both interviewed at Baystate and Rochester. I put Rochester ahead of Baystate. You did it the other way around. What did you like more about Baystate?

My current list is:

1. U of Minnesota
2. UT Memphis
3. Indiana U
4. U Cincinnati
5. U Rochester
6. OSU
7. MCW
8. Baystate
9. Case Western UH/Rainbow Babies
10. Christiana

The real challenge is 1 and 2 are really 1 and 1a for me at the moment. I interview at Cincy next week so this may change a bit.

Finished interviewing and have decided that Cincinnati will be my #1 so...
1. Cincinnati
2. UT Memphis
3. U Minnesota
4. Indy
5. Rochester
6. MCW
7. OSU
8. Baystate
9. CWRU Rainbow babies
10. Christiana

I ranked Rochester higher because I think the education experience, faculty responsiveness and overall balance is stronger there although they are both good strong programs. The only reason they are lower on my list is distance from family.

1. Baystate
2. Albany
3. Rochester
4. Maine
5. UNC

My thoughts on MUSC: Very strong medicine and peds components, however I felt med/peds gets lost in the shuffle because it is SO small. They have no intentions of expanding the med/peds program. Residents seemed very protective of the small size. Also the Program Director didn't seem to have much passion about strengthening the Med/Peds program....she seemed content to have them just do Medicine and Peds. Charleston is a wonderful town, but a little to small for my tastes.
But those are just my thoughts, so take it with a grain of salt!

My top 5, in no particular order...

Cincy, Indy, UofChicago, Vandy, Yale....

Any thoughts of University of Chicago's program, especially with the recent layoffs? Anyone else considering them and have an opinion?

Lifelong southerner, looking for residency in different part of country before returning to the South.

Stillll sorting through the details

1. MGH
2. Yale
tie for 3. Vanderbilt(in the South, but can't deny the goodness!), Pitt, Penn/Chop (no order)
tie for 6. Ohio State, Michigan, Cincy, Rochester (no order)

The great part about it is that I would be happy at any of the places. Best wishes to all who are working on their rank lists.

Still figuring things out myself but here are my two tiers, both in no particular order:

Tier 1: UCLA, U of Chi, MGH, MN
Tier 2: Loyola, MCW, Mt. Sinai

I am somewhat concerned about U of Chi since the article I read said funding was being cut to some of their outreach programs, which were definitely a resource that stood out. I am also a little worried that a possible emphasis on transferring patients will detract from the educational opportunities. But I loved my interview day and love Chicago. Anyone else have thoughts? Vxr2md? I saw you interviewed their but they didn't make your list??

Yep,

I did interview at U Chi, but didn't have a great experience there. It is a great program and trains great Med Peds doctors, but it is not the place for me. Seemed like one of my interviewers was dismissive of the idea of me wanting to do general med-peds or primary care and not do a fellowship. I just got a bad vibe from the place in general.

After the news in the Chicago Tribune and I am reassured that I made the right choice for me in not ranking them. I would be miserable working in Hyde Park, but unable to care for many of the people around the neighborhood because they are uninsured or underinsured. I know things like this happens at more hospitals, but this is grossly obvious.

Best wishes with your rank list.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1420722,u-of-chicago-job-cuts-020908.article

Check out this article.... it talks about the 450 person layoff at U of C.

It also talks about the closure of 1301A E47th Street Clinic. This is the same address as the Med Peds clinic that the program uses as their resident clinic.

Has anyone spoken to the PD about this? What are they going to be doing about clinic in the upcoming months to years? Will this effect accreditation?

There is a change in clinic location. THe new location is in the DCAM on hospital grounds. It will allow the clinic access to EMR, newer facilities, and closer proximity for residents. It WILL NOT change any GME requirements. The university is closing clinics outside of the campus network to streamline resources that were duplications of things available on campus.

Hi, I am so anxious about the match... Does anybody have any thoughts on my list:

1) BWH/CHB
2) U of Minnesota
3) Case/Rainbow
4) MCW
5) U of Utah
6) Indiana University
7) U Mass
8) Penn State
9) Metrohealth

Thanks!!

After much soul-searching, I returned to my first love (program-wise) my final list is:

1. U MN
2. Cincy
3. UT-Memphis
4. Indy
5. MCW
6. U Rochester
7. Baystate
8. CWRU Rainbow/UH
9. Christiana
10. Ohio State

Hi, I am so anxious about the match... Does anybody have any thoughts on my list:

1) BWH/CHB
2) U of Minnesota
3) Case/Rainbow
4) MCW
5) U of Utah
6) Indiana University
7) U Mass
8) Penn State
9) Metrohealth

Thanks!!

LatinMD, what is your ultimate goal medpeds-wise?

medimission, I have not yet decided my ultimate ultimate goal... at this moment, I think my future will be in primary care med-peds in an academic setting, doing research and teaching.

Thanks for the help! By the way, what attracts you so much from U of MN? I also loved the program there and want to hear other opinions...

Hi... Long-time reader, first-time poster... How would you rank my top 6?
UCLA, UChicago, Mt. Sinai, UMichigan, UCSD, Yale.
And anything anyone can comment about any of the programs is appreciated. Good luck to everyone as the 25th approaches!

My rank top 5 (probably won't change these)...really liked Baystate. Great residents, program director, location (for me at least), clinic and reasonably matched strength in Medicine and Peds. Only concern was potential fellowship opportunities. Any opinions on that?

1) Baystate
2) Brown
3) Rochester
4) UMass
5) UMich

1) BWH/CHB
2) U of Minnesota
3) Case/Rainbow
4) MCW
5) U of Utah
6) Indiana University
7) U Mass
8) Penn State
9) Metrohealth

Thanks!!

Just to comment quickly on a couple programs on your list that I interviewed at:

U of MN - Loved this program. The PD is awesome, the support for international training is as good as anywhere in the country if not the best, the Twin Cities are a great place to live (if you can get over the cold), and all of their sites provide excellent training with the added bonus of having the "Quadfecta": a freestanding community children's hospital, a VA, a county hospital and an academic center. My main conern is that with so many sites you don't get the greatest connection with your fellow MedPeds residents/interns.

MCW - I liked this program a lot. However I just can not see myself happier in Milwaukee than any other city I interviewed at, so I ranked it, but not high. Their PD was my 2nd favorite one to talk to (after Loyola's) on the trail and I felt I would be very supported there and get an excellent clinical training.

Indiana - I was going to interview here but heard that it was very similar to MN so I cancelled as I could not justify living in Indy over Minny for personal reasons. I've heard nothing but good things about it though.

I know everyone interviewed in different places and even if we did interview in the same places we are not going to rank programs the same way. I am excited to be done with my interviews and working on my rank list. There were no programs I wouldn't be happy to be at. I screened those out before interviews. I know which two I want on top and which I will put on the bottom but the middle seven I am not sure about. So many things to think about (Big program v. small, big city v. small, university v community, name recognition v. quality, location) Here is my starting point. Curious to see what others are doing.

1. U of Rochester
3. U of Michigan
4. Harvard BW/Childrens
5. Baystate
6. Brown
7. Rush
8. Wright State
9. Albany
11. LIJ Peds (Dad is an alum but no med-peds there)

After thinking about career goals, family proximity, location I rearranged my list. This is my final list.

1. Baystate
3. U of Rochester
4. Harvard BW/Childrens
5. U of Michigan
6. Brown
7. Rush
8. Wright State
9. Albany
11. LIJ Peds

I loved both Baystate and Kalamazoo but was reluctant because I thought I might want to do a fellowship. Right now I am thinking primary care. In any case these programs have not had a problem getting grads into fellowships so that is still an option. I see these are not really the top programs of other lists mentioned here which tend to be the big name research places but for me these two are the top. Overall it came down to all the programs would give me great training but I think I would just fit in these two programs better than the others.

Good luck in the match everyone!!