Med School Attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sng33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an entering first year and my class starts in a couple weeks. I want to get some cloths but not sure what you wear in med school? Do you wear khakis (dockers) pretty much everyday with a button down or a polo shirt? What do you usually wear to classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Cut off denim shorts, a straw hat, and suspenders.

Some schools have a specific dress code where they require you to wear a ceratin style of dress, scrubs, or a white coat.

If none of this applied to your school, there is nothing wrong with slacks and a nice shirt, although I have seen some less "appropriate" dress from some people and no one seems to care.

Members don't see this ad :)
my class wears pretty much what is worn in college jeans tshirts sweatshirts shorts whatever. unless you are seeing patients that day ie preceptorship or guest in class then you have do dress nice for guys button down shirt tie and nice pants

Attire should be just like undergrad unless you're in clinical setting.

We have already started at my medical school, and most people just wear shorts and a tshirt or polo. I would take it easy and relax. Studying this much sucks.

one should only wear brand name clothes in med school, like jcrew or banana, polo and hilfiger. A&F should prob be left behind as that's for college aged ppl.

one should only wear brand name clothes in med school, like jcrew or banana, polo and hilfiger. A&F should prob be left behind as that's for college aged ppl.

kill me.

Originally posted by jot

kill me.

y is that>? i mean med school ppl should portray a certain level of sophistication in their dress. they shouldn't wear bad clothes like from gap anymore. of course if u can afford things from boss or armani, that's even better.

I buy my clothes in Walmart. They look the same to me as the ones are sold everywhere else.

Originally posted by dr kevin40

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

How 'bout you wear my @$$ as a hat? HA HA HA HARDEE HAR!

one thing that's kinda disappointing is that they changed all the structure stores back to express. wtf is that about?

never going shopping there again.

I know it!!! There is no way I'm wearing a shirt that is the same brand that a 13 yr old girl wears.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've searched far and wide for a faded blue T-shirt to wear under my scrubs, just like the guy on the TV show Scrubs. All the cool residents and students are wearing them. Not at Banana Republic, not at AF. Not even at the Gap. Help! I feel so uncool.

It really depends on your school. Find out if there is a dress code before you go out buying a whole new closet. In my school we have a dress code because in the med school building there are patient clinics so we dress casual. Most people wear nice pants, guys wear khakis, some (few) wear t-shirts, most wear button down shirts.

Clothes! Clothes !

Crap I knew I forgot something.

AK

At USC it's clothing optional.

At my school, the OD and DDS students have a dress code (khakis and a golf shirt as a minimum) for the basic sciences. We don't. The administration must be trying to jump-start the professional jealosy thing :).

I wore shorts, t-shirt, sandals (jeans/flannel/docs when it was cold) for the 1st 2 yrs.

wear whatever you feel like. nobody cares about style when you're studying.

bud

At UPR Med Sci there is a dress code. From what I've gathered so far, only the ICS course coordinator is serious about it since we have to take part of the course off campus at other hospitals.

It's the third day of class now. First day, everyone was in khakis, nice long sleeved shirts, nice shoes. Right now, everyone I can see is in jeans, some are wearing t-shirts. Most have nice shirts.

Gotta go, histology conference comming up.

anamarylee

Originally posted by BradMcC17
I know it!!! There is no way I'm wearing a shirt that is the same brand that a 13 yr old girl wears.

oh, come o n, LOT of college aged "girls" wear express.

Throughout my school years I wore jeans and t's, sneakers or sandals. During clinicals, we don't have a dress code, but I've noticed that patients look at you differently if you're wearing jeans. My Ob/Gyn Coordinator requested we wear more formal attire, but that's just him. I'll just go with khakis, chinos, dress pants, short-sleeved shirts, t's and loafers. It's kind of my uniform.

Right now, since I'm doing my social rotation in a different town (hate the commute), I can get away with wearing yoga pants and t's. I just have to do interviews and statistics. Not very glamourous.

You're going to be a doctor. Dress like the upper-class citizen that you are about to become. Make sure whatever you're wearing intimidates your patients and for god sakes belittle whatever they are wearing every chance you get.

Originally posted by WakeMedHeel
You're going to be a doctor. Dress like the upper-class citizen that you are about to become. Make sure whatever you're wearing intimidates your patients and for god sakes belittle whatever they are wearing every chance you get.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by WakeMedHeel

I second that laughter ;) :clap: :clap: :clap:

They actually told us to dress casual and bring food to lectures at my school.:clap:

Here at Pikeville SOM, we have a dress code. Dress pants and ties on M,W,F, and scrubs on Tu,Th. Even in orientation. A few of the guys weren't wearing ties on the first day of orientation and during the student intros, after they said where they were from, the dean stood up and said, "And do they sell ties there?" It was pretty funny. Being a small town, the med students are treated like heroes here. Most restaurants will give you a discount, and the Ford dealership owner was so impressed with the fact that we have a dress code that if we break down, he'll give us a free tow and a free ride to school until they get you're car fixed. It's pretty sweet.

That's acutally kind of odd. I know it would me really uncomfortable.

dang, boonies.

Flip flops and carpri's for me:clap: