Med school in Canada or US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medasez

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm having a real hard time making a multifaceted decision and hope this is a good place to look into good pointers on how to make a decision. Just finished a gap year working as a clinical research assistant in Canada- I'm a Canadian citizen. Applied to US and Canada this cycle with no IIs. No interviews for the US due to applying late (complete end of July), Canada cause my CARS is low and its competitive af. My ECs/research/GPA are stellar based on other people's feedback, just my third MCAT (513/125 CARS) holds me down to getting into any top tier/mid tier schools in the US as an international. I'm dead set on doing a surgery residency, but I don't know if going to a low tier school (thinking of Wayne state EDP) will hold me down to get in US surg residencies. If I get in a Canadian school my chances of getting into a competitive residency are much much higher. Could I get a surg residency as a international AMG? (heard visa problems are the biggest issues for me).

Another thing to consider is my whole family will be moving to the US in the next 5 years, so I might-ish want to stay in the US too. Not sure if that's worth the $340k USD debt for tuition I will rack up. If I stay in Canada, I'll literally have $50k USD debt by the time I graduate.

Also my work supervisor is letting me do a 2 years research masters with him (he usually lets residents/IMGs do them) that I will gain 2+ good pubs from really high quality journals (impact factor 14+). Should I maybe take the masters and then apply to the US to increase my chances of gaining a competitive residency? I would still be going to Wayne or similar tier afterwards, but would this drastically increase my chance of getting into surg to do the masters? Thinking of my $340k+ USD debt and 1 year loss to do masters (instead of doing the extra gap year).

I guess I'm thinking ahead but same time don't want to do medical school in the wrong country in the wrong residency haha. Anyone know how competitive it is for surg residencies, or will be with p/f step 1, for a foreign AMG?

Members don't see this ad.