Med school in Germany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C. Ronaldo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thinking about going over to Germany. I have searched the old threads and read a little bit about it. Anyone know anything else about studying medicine in Germany. Its apparently very cheap, but Im wondering if I can get a loan to help for living expenses, or can you work part-time? Im already an EU being from England, but England is crap and wants to charge me as an international student. Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

C. Ronaldo said:
Thinking about going over to Germany. I have searched the old threads and read a little bit about it. Anyone know anything else about studying medicine in Germany. Its apparently very cheap, but Im wondering if I can get a loan to help for living expenses, or can you work part-time? Im already an EU being from England, but England is crap and wants to charge me as an international student. Any help is appreciated.

Unfortunately, I understand that US federally guaranteed loans are not available to US citizens/residents for Germany.

C. Ronaldo said:

I mentioned this (I think) once a while ago on SDN, but I'm not a med student here. No fed loans are available now to US students in Germany (I'm assuming you're orginally from the US?), but you can get some US private loans to help out. Key Bank Grad Loans are good, but the interest is higher than fed loans. You can work as a student the equivalent of three months of full-time work per year as a non-EU citizen, but you can spread the hours out over longer if you do part-time. If you have an EU passport, you can work whenever you like. You do have to prove your finances though when you register, so you have to technically have enough to live on though for the year.

Other things worth mentioning is that it is very difficult to get into med school in Germany, and you have to pass a German language exam kinda like to TOEFL for English. Plus, it will take you 6-7 years here to finish. But there are NO tuition fees and only around 150 euros for student registration, which usually includes a student ticket for transportation. I'd say around 700 euros/mo will be ok for most students for living expenses unless you go to Munich or Hamburg, but Berlin and smaller towns are pretty cheap.

If you need to know anything specific, I can ask my med student friends. I hope this was a little helpful. Sorry if it wasn't.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, Im originally from England and I have an English passport. Currently I am pretty much totally illegal in the USA. In England they will not let me study medicine as an EU citizen because I have been out of the country for 3 years, which is absolutely absurd and Im appalled with England for that. I do not think learning German would be too hard, but I am desperate to become a doctor like most people on here. On another message board I was told that getting into a German med school was actually very easy, so I will just have to see. I am not eligible for any US federal loans, I will need ones from either the UK or Germany.

C. Ronaldo said:
No, Im originally from England and I have an English passport. Currently I am pretty much totally illegal in the USA. In England they will not let me study medicine as an EU citizen because I have been out of the country for 3 years, which is absolutely absurd and Im appalled with England for that. I do not think learning German would be too hard, but I am desperate to become a doctor like most people on here. On another message board I was told that getting into a German med school was actually very easy, so I will just have to see. I am not eligible for any US federal loans, I will need ones from either the UK or Germany.

I think that you may be misinformed.

German is not the simplest language to learn, unless you speak a closely related language such as Dutch or a more distant one like Danish, Norwegian, or Swedish. The Goethe examination which is required of foreign students is nothing like the TOEFL; it is quite challenging.

Regarding admission, that depends on your academic background. My understanding is that admission to med school is still restricted ("numerus clausus") which means that you have to meet certain requirements.

I'd recommend that you do a bit more research.

Miklos

I never stated German would be the simplest language to learn, I merely said I do not think it would be too difficult. Perhaps for the average individual, learning German would be hard, but I am far above average, and therefore it will pose no problems.

According to a German website I visited, apparently because I already have a BS from an American accredited University, I should have no problem getting into a University in Germany. Thank you for your helpful constructive comments.

C. Ronaldo said:
Perhaps for the average individual, learning German would be hard, but I am far above average, and therefore it will pose no problems.

Not to discourage you but learning German will be no breeze. You'll have to speak it very well to make it through medical school.

Take it for what it's worth but it seems like your best options would be to (in descending order):

1: Study in GB. There must be a way around those rules. If nothing else, you'd have to live in Germany/the EU for years while learning German and in that time you would certainly regain your EU residency.

2: Study in the US. Your US bachelor's will be more useful there.

3: Go to Germany

How do you like Copenhagen? I hear its free there also. Is Danish equally as difficult as German to learn or harder? You have to have a greencard to study in the US, and in 3 years I will be 31, which is older than I wanted to start medical school.

BellKicker said:
Not to discourage you but learning German will be no breeze. You'll have to speak it very well to make it through medical school.

Take it for what it's worth but it seems like your best options would be to (in descending order):

1: Study in GB. There must be a way around those rules. If nothing else, you'd have to live in Germany/the EU for years while learning German and in that time you would certainly regain your EU residency.

2: Study in the US. Your US bachelor's will be more useful there.

3: Go to Germany

All good points.

C. Ronaldo: Viel Gl?ck!

C. Ronaldo said:
How do you like Copenhagen? I hear its free there also. Is Danish equally as difficult as German to learn or harder? You have to have a greencard to study in the US, and in 3 years I will be 31, which is older than I wanted to start medical school.

Yeah, medical school is free. It's hard but not impossible to get in and there's no bias against foreign applicants. OTOH, I have never heard of anyone coming here from outside Scandinavia to study medicine. There are just too many hurdles, out of which the language test is by far the worst.

There are quite a few SDNers who are medical students in the US without green cards. I guess it's all about where you want to practice afterwards.

C. Ronaldo said:
I never stated German would be the simplest language to learn, I merely said I do not think it would be too difficult. Perhaps for the average individual, learning German would be hard, but I am far above average, and therefore it will pose no problems.
wow can you smell the pomposity in the air? :rolleyes:

German is, in my opinion harder than spanish and french. It is no where like english and the pronunciation is quite difficult at times. But then again... you are far above the average individual.....

maybe try changing deodrants.

C. Ronaldo said:
maybe try changing deodrants.

and quick at reply too aren't we? You are truly far from the average person. Be sure that write that you are far from the average person in your applications.... i'm sure med school adcoms would be just as envious as me. :wow:

Plus watch out for the immigration office :eek:

hi there
i am a doctor from pakistan and looking for medical specialization in cardiology from EU. my targets were ireland,germany,france etc but due to language barrier and costs effect my struggles vanished now i m looking at romania or poland still they require to complete language course.

i have heared that german residency program is free of cost if you know the language.
now my question from friends that,
if i want to move to germany, do they provide me in campus language course while already inlisted into residency course? because where i am now i cant learn german here i need to be with german speaking person to get expertise and if i move to germany i have to collapse my current status ( as i am earning a handsome amount) so before leaving for germany i want to be very very sure that i am already selected for residency course and now i am in language course for awhile.i hope you understand my point.

secondly how much do i have to pay for language course in germany.

if any one has any idea about other EU residency program information with low entry requirements i'd appreciate for kind help.

regards
riaz a memon dr.

Wow, way to ressurect a dead thread...

Dude, I've seen you post in every medical school forum in existence for years now with this stuff; why don't you just try to get trained in your own country? Maybe try and improve healthcare in your area, etc.... just a novel idea.

Wow, way to ressurect a dead thread...

Dude, I've seen you post in every medical school forum in existence for years now with this stuff; why don't you just try to get trained in your own country? Maybe try and improve healthcare in your area, etc.... just a novel idea.

Yea....I was thinking the same thing. Not the worst case of it but damn

Yea....I was thinking the same thing. Not the worst case of it but damn

Seriously, it's like a full time job for this guy. If you put the same amount of effort into trying to find training in his own country as he does into finding forums to fill with his nonsense, he'd be doing a fellowship by this point.

This is the same thing what happened to me. I have an EU passport, but i've been living the past 3 years in Canada, and now England won't accept me as an EU student, but as an international! I don't even have a canadian passport!

Med study in German is so much cheep but Need First u easily speech and write in German Language. German is not the easy language to learn. If u not familiar with German then u cannot study there. Because there Study system only in German language.