Med School Interviews: Weekday/Weekend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kech611

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do most of the medical school interviews take place?

Weekends? Weekdays?

Is there an option to have them on the weekends?

I just realized this problem.

I may be working full time at a 9-5 job during interview season and I doubt my boss would be very happy with me missing 10+ weekdays for all the different interviews if I get them.

Members don't see this ad.

Weekends? Weekdays?

I may be working full time at a 9-5 job during interview season and I doubt my boss would be very happy with me missing 10+ weekdays for all the different interviews if I get them.

Mostly weekdays. I've heard of the rare exception. The worst part is a lot are in the middle of the weak. So if you're traveling a long way its 2 days off minimum (one to fly out, one to interview and fly back).

You're going to need to talk to your boss now about time off. Hopefully he/she will be understanding and give you flexibility.

You say "may be working" so I assume you don't have the job yet. So what you need to do is be honest when applying and let them know that you will be applying to medical school this year. Which means its a 1-year only job for you and you will occasionally need to take a day or two off for interviews between September and April.

Hopefully you will find a job that works. I was fortunate and turned a part-time gig where I had worked for a while into a full time position. My boss was very aware of my goals and gave me lots of time off (sometimes paid if I had built up sick-leave/vacation). It worked out really well because i turned some of my interviews into vacations which was a lot of fun.

And if you applied early and get an early interview hopefully you can get an early acceptance and can start pickign and choosing which interviews you attend.

Reactions: 1 user
Drexel interviews on Saturdays along with some weekdays. That's the only school I've heard of that interviews on weekends. There are some schools that interview Fridays or Mondays which may allow you to miss less work, but you're definitely going to be missing a few days throughout the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interviewing at Loyola on a Saturday, but they do very few saturdays apparently.

Weekends? Weekdays?

None of the schools I interviewed at had weekend dates.

For the interviews where you have a choice of dates, try to schedule them so you can go to more than one school on the same trip. One way to attempt this is to send an "in the area" email to the second school after you already have an interview scheduled at the first place, asking if they would be willing to grant you an interview around that date. It may or may not work, but you tried.

For some interviews, you won't even have a choice of dates, or it will be a very limited choice. (I had 8 interviews, and I think at least half of them were assigned dates.) In those cases, you can still try the "in the area" tactic with the other schools, but otherwise it's take it or leave it.

Reactions: 1 user
All of the interview invites I've received thus far have been for weekdays, and I don't know of any on weekends. This IS an application for professional school after all; they fully expect you to make it a priority, even ahead of your work/school schedule.

Weekends? Weekdays?

I have 2 Saturday interviews but I still need to fly there on Friday so I'll probably be missing most of my classes on those days anyway. I'm pretty sure that most schools only offer weekday interviews. You should just tell your boss upfront that you might need to miss a few days, and maybe try to space out the interviews so you're not gone for all 10 days in the same month.

The only interview I have so far is at UAMS. It's first 3 dates are all on Saturdays. I hope, if I get any other interviews, that they will be during the week as I work almost exclusively on the weekends AND we schedule a month in advance.