Med School List Help. 3.95 sGPA 510 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

king17887

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I would greatly appreciate it if I could get a critical review of my med school list. I just want to make sure I'm doing well with targeting schools that I will fit best in. Thanks in advance!

Stats: Resident of AL,
cGPA: 3.97, sGPA: 3.95
MCAT: 510
Research: 1600 hrs - 1 Publication
Hospice: 180 hrs
Shadowing: 110 hours; 4 different specialties.
TA: 600 hrs
Community Volunteering: 150 hrs
Children's Hospital Vol.: 30 hrs
WARS: 70

List:

UAB
University of South Alabama

Einstein
Drexel
Emory
Dartmouth
Temple
Medical College of Wisconsin
SUNY - Downstate of NY
University of Illinois
University of Maryland
Wisconsin Madison
West Virginia
UNC - Chapel Hill
Penn State
Rush
Wake Forest
University of Indiana
Toledo
Vermont
Duke

Let me know if you think I should add/remove anything from the list!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I would greatly appreciate it if I could get a critical review of my med school list. I just want to make sure I'm doing well with targeting schools that I will fit best in. Thanks in advance!

Stats: Resident of AL,
cGPA: 3.97, sGPA: 3.95
MCAT: 510
Research: 1600 hrs - 1 Publication
Hospice: 180 hrs
Shadowing: 110 hours; 4 different specialties.
TA: 600 hrs
Community Volunteering: 150 hrs
Children's Hospital Vol.: 30 hrs
WARS: 70

List:

UAB

Einstein
Drexel
Emory
Dartmouth
Temple
SUNY - Downstate of NY
University of Illinois
University of Maryland
Wisconsin Madison
West Virginia
UNC - Chapel Hill
Penn State
Rush
Wake Forest
University of Indiana
Toledo
Vermont
Duke

Let me know if you think I should add/remove anything from the list!

You have a huge number of state schools from states other than your own. Most state schools give a heavy preference to their in state residents. If you exclude those and reaches like Duke and Emory, you have very few match schools on your list.

I suggest trying to target private med schools where your stats fit. Are you applying to all your state medical schools? You should.

You should use this time to do a lot of clinical volunteering. 30 hours is too few. Shadowing is not a substitute for that.

Schools such as U Wisconsin, Illinois, UNC, SUNY Downstate, Maryland, Toledo accept few non residents with no connection to the state or region. Duke, Emory and Dartmouth are reaches. You could add these schools:
Rosalind Franklin
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Schools such as U Wisconsin, Illinois, UNC, SUNY Downstate, Maryland, Toledo accept few non residents with no connection to the state or region. Duke, Emory and Dartmouth are reaches. You could add these schools:
Rosalind Franklin
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont

MSAR shows they're quite OOS friendly, though. Should I still not waste my time? And a lot of schools you listed are low yield and I'm worried about having too many low yield schools on my list. How many is too many? Thanks for your insight.

You have a huge number of state schools from states other than your own. Most state schools give a heavy preference to their in state residents. If you exclude those and reaches like Duke and Emory, you have very few match schools on your list.

I suggest trying to target private med schools where your stats fit. Are you applying to all your state medical schools? You should.

You should use this time to do a lot of clinical volunteering. 30 hours is too few. Shadowing is not a substitute for that.

Noted, thank you! Also, I have 180 hospice hours which counts as clinical. Is the 220 okay?

Noted, thank you! Also, I have 180 hospice hours which counts as clinical. Is the 220 okay?

I think that's slightly above average with average being about 150 clinical volunteering hours for those not taking a gap year.

OOS friendly is relative. Those OOS numbers include those who attended the undergraduate school (all schools give a preference to their own undergraduates), legacies, former residents, veterans, URM. Low yield schools are not low yield for an applicant with a MCAT of 510. If your MCAT was 522 it would be low yield.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS friendly is relative. Those OOS numbers include those who attended the undergraduate school (all schools give a preference to their own undergraduates), legacies, former residents, veterans, URM. Low yield schools are not low yield for an applicant with a MCAT of 510. If your MCAT was 522 it would be low yield.

If I were trying to keep my list below 23 which schools would you remove and add?

Keep these
UAB

Einstein
Drexel
Temple
West Virginia
Penn State
Rush
Wake Forest
University of Indiana