Med school or CRNA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A.p. Cadmus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could use some advice from physicians, students, or CRNAs.

I got my BA in psychology and have done some therapy work over the years, and recently decided to take the plunge and go back to school for either Psychiatry or Anesthesiology.

I'm nearly 30 now, which is why I'm hesitating on going right for Med School. It'll take me 2 years to get the premed courses all finished, study and take the MCAT, and get necessary experience before applying. Then 4 years of med school + 4 years residency = 10 year commitment. So I looked at the CRNA route. I could get my BSN in 2.5 years, then gain 1-2 years ICU experience, then do 3 year doctoral program in anesthesia. So approx 7 years.

My age means less working years ahead of me, and more obligations than when I was 20. CRNA salary in Texas ($240k) is plenty to support the family, so it seems like the choice I should aim for. It's 3 years less, the years are less stressful, and there's less debt.

But what about the prestige of being a MD and seen as top in a field? Would I be lacking adequate training? I know what the AANA says, but would like to know some opinions here. And would you regret not trying for Med School in my shoes? Are there any CRNAs here who wish they did? Or any physicians who wish they went the CRNA route instead?

Can some Anesthesiologists give their opinion on CRNAs and if they are generally trained enough? I would want to be the best I can be for my patients and wouldn't mind learning more indepth from the MD or shadowing them, but would it be seen as bugging?

Thank you

PS move to any appropriate forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should post this in the forum for Anesthesiologists. You’re questions would probably be better answered by actual physicans than a by a bunch of premeds lmaoooo. You did talk about the prestige of being an MD. I think that’s a factor to take in account but IMO not worth all the extra sacrifice. And are MD’s seen as the healthcare professionals who are the top In the field? I’d say that depends on who you ask

Good point, I'll repost this in the other forum. Just found it.

Status
Not open for further replies.