NP School, While Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckycycle

Reaction score
I've practiced as a registered nurse and am ready to pursue medical school. I should have my application ready by next cycle. However, I'm not ignorant of that fact that this is an incredibly competitive process. Due to this, I'd like to pursue both a nurse practitioner degree (2-3 year program) and a medical degree at around the same time. This does not mean that I'm not serious as a medical school applicant, but I do need to realize that I'm older, this is probably going to be my last cycle applying, and I don't want to come out empty handed by spring/summer/fall 2024. I'm not willing to discuss any metrics, activities, or other aspects of my application, but wanted to ask the following question...

If I started nurse practitioner school in fall 2023, after I submitted my AMCAS/AACOMAS application in May, how would I discuss my nurse practitioner classes that I took or are enrolled in either during the interview season or when transcripts are requested before the start of medical school, if by some miracle I got accepted? Some might respond to this saying, if you want to go to medical school, go to medical school, but it isn't just about how much a person wants it. It's a very competitive process. I'm just concerned, because I've heard schools look down on applicants that don't finish their graduate program by the anticipated start of medical school (i.e., fall 2024 for the 2023-2024 medical school application cycle).

Members don't see this ad.

I've practiced as a registered nurse and am ready to pursue medical school. I should have my application ready by next cycle. However, I'm not ignorant of that fact that this is an incredibly competitive process. Due to this, I'd like to pursue both a nurse practitioner degree (2-3 year program) and a medical degree at around the same time. This does not mean that I'm not serious as a medical school applicant, but I do need to realize that I'm older, this is probably going to be my last cycle applying, and I don't want to come out empty handed by spring/summer/fall 2024.
Can this be realistically done? Being older you need to focus on one, and if you intend on not being a reapplicant...

Yes, we will need a bit more information on how prepared you really will be to set up a strong MD application, and you will need to chat with a lot of people about it. Many BSN programs are interprofessional and you will have many opportunities to study and work with medical students. In all likelihood, you will have to do those experiences TWICE if you go BSN and then later MD/DO.

By the way, if you intend to submit a med school application in May 2023, when are you taking the MCAT? Are you prepared for Casper or PREview? Interviews? Do you have all your prereqs to take the MCAT? What are they telling you on reddit?

Your own words betray what you perceive are your chances. Even for well-prepared, strong applicants, getting an offer feels "miraculous."

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You would be completely shut out at my school. We don't poach students currently enrolled in other academic programs that won't complete the degree before our matriculation date. It is a mark against a school that matriculates a student who does not graduate and we don't do that to other programs.

• Hmm
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
If I started nurse practitioner school in fall 2023, after I submitted my AMCAS/AACOMAS application in May

First, I will say feel free to reach out to me privately. I am a current M2 and was a nurse for 5 years prior to beginning medical school.

That being said, I really do not understand your line of thinking. Hypothetically, you could also be accepted to medical school in Fall 2023 if you applied in Spring 2023. Are you just planning on dropping out of NP school at that point? Without knowing your age or application metrics, I think you owe it to yourself to give one application cycle a full swing. Get accepted, go to medical school. Get denied, go to NP school. Life indeed moves quick but I think you are over thinking this a bit.

Reactions: 6 users
Thank you for all of your responses. I'm just coming from the perspective that I could apply broadly next cycle, not get a single acceptance (or interview invite), and then waste potentially up, until potentially August or September, 2024. And I wouldn't mind waiting that long, but because of the increasing amount of highly talented applicants that get rejected (often pre-interview), there seems to be at least a bit of luck that goes into medical school acceptances (as opposed to them strictly being merit-based). So, from that perspective, I would think that schools would want applicants to have backup plans, since they can't possibly accept all of the candidates, who would make incredible physicians. And I apologize, but I don't want to give out any personal information, but I should be ready to submit a completed primary application by next May.

A back-up plan would be applying to medical schools and ___ schools concurrently and taking what you can get. Enrolling in a multi-year program and then applying to start medical school before the other program's graduation date is not a back-up plan.

Reactions: 10 users
Although I definitely see your view point (potential income lost being one of them), I agree with others that you need to go back to the drawing board.

I think you can pretty accurately predict if you are competitive enough for MD or DO schools. If you are, wasting time on NP schools is unwise. If you arent competitive enough so be it, start NP school.

Reactions: 1 user