med school requirements question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most medical schools require students to have ALL their premed requirements completed prior to applying or prior to matriculation? I'm a junior and I'll be applying next summer hopefully. I'll have all my prereq courses out of the way besides 1 bio lab (marine physiology). I plan on taking that bio lab next summer but my AMCAS will already be sent before the class is completed.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do most medical schools require students to have ALL their premed requirements completed prior to applying or prior to matriculation? I'm a junior and I'll be applying next summer hopefully. I'll have all my prereq courses out of the way besides 1 bio lab (marine physiology). I plan on taking that bio lab next summer but my AMCAS will already be sent before the class is completed.

Thanks.

From what I've seen, the vast majority of med schools just require that all requirements be completed prior to matriculation. Sounds like your plan is perfectly fine.

You've pretty much got to have the prereqs out of the way before the mcat, let alone applying to med school; although I have known a few individuals who took it before orgo 2. Regardless, marine physiology isn't a prereq so you should be fine if everything else is completed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting the pre-reqs complete before taking your MCAT would be beneficial to you. All the med schools I know of only require you to complete the pre-reqs before you matriculate. Thats why you list future courses on AMCAS showing the med schools you will take the required courses. Good Luck.

Most med schools (well at least the ones that I've heard of..) require that all your pre-reqs be completed at the time of matriculation. Meaning if you receive an interview and at that time you have all of your pre-reqs out of the way then your fine as long as you complete them when you matriculate the following fall semester. Though, have most if not all of your pre-reqs out of the way when you take your MCATS should help you, but it wont kill you..