Med School Resume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azndrummer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new here, although I've been a reader at SDN for a while now. I'm a sophomore at UC Riverside, and I've been especially busy this year with extracurriculars, and also trying to keep up my grades so I just wanted to know if what I'm doin is on track and lookin good for med school admissions.

Basically my plan is to do the 5 year plan here at UCR, majoring in Medical Biology (not premed, its a biological sciences track) and possibly minoring in Spanish. The GPA range I'll probably be hitting is in the 3.4-3.6 range. In terms of research and clinical hours, I'll be starting work as an EMT, which I plan on doing for the next 3 years. I'll also be doing a year of lab research at my school. As far as extracurriculars go, I'm a Resident Advisor at our University Housing, I'm also the to-be President of my fraternity, and I'll be joining the University Orchestra playing cello. I understand that MCATs play a huge part, but I think its too early to say what I expect on it; my goal, however, is around a 31 (+/- 2). How does all this sound to you guys? I'm aiming to go to med school somewhere on the east coast.

Here's my list:
-3.5 GPA for Medical Bio major and Spanish minor
-Goal of 32 for MCAT
-3 years of full-time EMT work
-1 year of lab research
-RA for Campus Housing
-Philanthropy Chair, Chaplain, and Chapter President for the Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity
-University Orchestra
-5-Year Undergraduate

Sorry, I hope I'm not annoying you guys with another "do you think I'll get in?" post. Just trying to get my goals and stuff set up early so I can stay on track, and also maybe give some other people some ideas and stuff. Great stuff you guys've been postin, thanks! =)

Steven Wang :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Well i'd say you sound like a good applicant. Keep doin what your doing and you should be fine, I guess you don't know a lot about the mcat now but jus remember that in order to get that 32+ your going to have to build a good foundation of knowledge in your basic sciences and then practice and more practice. Good luck, sounds like you have solid EC's also, I believe in quality over quantity. Wish i had it all planned out during my freshman year like you

vikaskoth said:
Well i'd say you sound like a good applicant. Keep doin what your doing and you should be fine, I guess you don't know a lot about the mcat now but jus remember that in order to get that 32+ your going to have to build a good foundation of knowledge in your basic sciences and then practice and more practice. Good luck, sounds like you have solid EC's also, I believe in quality over quantity. Wish i had it all planned out during my freshman year like you

Thanks! I know theres a separate section for MCATs, but since we're on the topic, I heard recently that the g-bio, g-chem, o-chem, and physics that I take at the University are totally different than what we need to know for the MCATs. Is this true? I plan on taking a MCAT class (kaplan or PR?)concurrently with my O-chem and Physics next year, just so I can get a dual reenforcement in time for the april or august MCAT. Would anyone recommend doing that, or should I just wait till the summer to take the MCAT class?