Med school vs having a life.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matt Norman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know I have really been giving this med school thing some thought. However, I have heard a lot of people talk about not having a life if I decide to do this. Is it really that bad? I ean I'm not looking for it to be a walk in the park but surely everyone can find it to be all inclusive, devouring every waking moment, with never any time to rest or catch the occasional movie or maybe even play a round of golf. I mean is it really that bad. Between class, lab time, and study how many hours does a normal week involve? Just triing to get a realy picture hear.

Matt

------------------
Love God, Hate Sin

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have the greatest study habits, but i'm doing well nonetheless. I'm in class from 8am until 3 or 4 almost every day. I usually try to get to school around 6am and study for a couple of hours and then I study during breaks in the day (lunch or during open periods when I don't have a class.) If I do it right, I usually have 4 hours or so in before the end of the school day which gives me time to kick back a little in the evenings (hence I'm always reading this board!) Some people go to every lecture and some people never go which obviously gives them a lot more time. I usually go to lecture unless I really think I'm not getting anything out of it. You can have a life in med school (some gunners will say you can't..but that is just to make themselves feel better
smile.gif
)

[This message has been edited by UHS03 (edited 03-01-2000).]

You know that is kind of the way I figured it was. I know many poeple in my nursing school who make them selves crazy working there butts of. It is nice to hear that there is the possibiblty of some life during med school.

------------------
Love God, Hate Sin

Dude, the only competition out there is with yourself. You work as hard as you want to in medical school. It's easy enough to just study on the weekends and pass everything, but many choose not to. I do my 5 to 6 hours of studying a night, followed by a marathon of studying on the weekends up until the exam.

I do take occassional half-day/full-day breaks on the weekends to hang out and do something other than study, but that all depends on my exam schedule. My curriculum is organ systems-based, so everything is organized around a blcok. My class ends up partying like rock starts after every exam because we can afford to -- the next block exam isn't for another four weeks!
smile.gif

Tim of New York City.
(where the end of GI/Intermediary Metabolism is NEXT Monday)