Med School With a C+ in 1st Semester Orgo Chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chbyschkn

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished the first semester of Organic Chemistry and recieved a C+. Will I be able to get into med school with this grade. All of my other grades are good to great. Please help me. I need to know if Im going to have to drop the money to retake the class during the summer. HELP PLEASE?!?! Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

A friend of mine who graduated from P&S in 2000 had a C- in 1st semester Orgo. It's okay. :)

A friend of mine, who's a first-year medical student right now, got a C one semester in orgo. She did get asked about it in some of her interviews though.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're gonna get a C, Ochem's the class to get it in. It kicks a lot of people's butt's (I know--I teach it!). I wouldn't bother retaking, it'll be Okay. However, it would REALLY help to do better in the second semester. Get the extra help and put in the extra time necessary.

Best way to increase your chances is to work as hard as you must to get an A next semester. That said, a C in Ochem will not totally kill your chances, but it's not a good thing...

you know what, I get a C+ in an 8 unit writing course during freshman year b/c of some problems at home. When asked about it during the interview, I told the interviewer why. They are human beings and understand. But, most of my other grades were A's and a couple of B's. See that is the thing, if you can maintain a really high GPA, then that one bad grade looks like a fluke or something and catches their eye and so they want to ask you about it. See, they ask you about to re-affirm their own guesses that something traumatizing must have happened to you that quarter, get it! So, just bust your ass and when asked why you got a C+ give a good response. See, if they are asking you why you got a C+ it is as if they are saying "well you got steller grades but you jacked up this quarter, what happened to you and how did you handle it"? So don't worry!! But re-take it and get an A. Believe me, it can me done.

dont worry about it at all. It happens to many that are in med school now. I know someone with straight C's for a year straight and is now interviewing at top 20 schools. Other people's advice is pretty accurate.

i'm on quarters, i got B, C+, B in orgo,
and C+, C in bio, im sitting on one acceptance already...just keep at, youll be fine

My Chem Grades:

GChem1: B
GChem2: B+
GChemLab: C+
GChemLab2: B
OChem1: B-
OChem2: C+
OChem3: B+
OChemLab: B
Biochem: A
BiochemLab: B+

8 inteviews (3 in top 50, two in top 20)
1 acceptance

No problem.

I received a C+ in Orgo, my first semester of true grading, at Hopkins. I also have a bunch of B-'s and I'm holding two acceptances. Don't sweat it just because everyone is compulsive about their grades.

It's reassuring to hear that people who didn't get straight A's in science still got accepted to med school. But, it makes me wonder: did you guys who've posted your grades also have amazing research/volunteer experience, or have something traumatic happen that made you get bad grades, etc? Just wondering.

--Nehama

I posted my personal experience with less-than-stellar grades, and some advice for anybody disappointed w/ their B's and C's, on the allopathic forum.

penelope

a C in organic is not going to kill you. just make sure that you do everything else well and will be able to explain it at an interview if someone asks. and besides, unless you actually failed the course, most colleges won't let you retake it. so that wouldn't be an option anyways. just try to do better next year. i know someone who got a C first semester orgo at berkeley and he is at UCI med school. so don't sweat it!

A friend of mine got a D- in his first quarter of O. Chem, and had to retake the class again where he got an A; both the grades got "averaged out" and he ended up with a B for that specific O. Chem class. He is currently an MS1 at a top 10 school. (ya, I envy him too!)
My point is this--I assume that your school takes an average of both the grades if you retake the class, and makes it the final grade. If you have a C right now, you'd have to get an A+ to even hit the final grade of B. I don't think that that is a good option. I personally did poorly in my first year and a half of college (in calc and Biology) with C's all over my transcript. Someday, I will have to explain that i had problems in my family that affected me, but eventually I got over it. Instead, I suggest you kick some O. Chem butt next quarter,and show em what you're made of!! I had to work very hard to score A+ in O.Chem and Biochem, but I did it b/c I knew what's at stake. I know that it can be done, I did it myself!! So don't sweat it, and keep working on those grades.

I wish you the best of luck. Stick with it, you'll get there. :) :)

Tweets