Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlac6180

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you know what schools to apply to?

What is the difference between MD and DO

Any advice?

MCAT tips?

What is a good MCAT?

How do you know what schools to apply to?

How can I improve my application?

What is a good GPA?

When is the best time to apply?

What is the difference between MD and DO

How long is residency?

It's super late so I'm gonna be as concise as possible in answering your questions. Try to aim for a 510+ on the MCAT. Shoot for a 3.7ish GPA to go along with it. Give yourself a solid 3 months to study for it. Some people can do it in less, but there's a lot of material to cover.

You can know which schools to apply to by purchasing the AAMC's MSAR ($20 or 25 idr). It's basically an online database for medical schools. You will be able to see how many people they interview, if they take out of staters etc.

Since I don't know anything about your app, I can't specifically comment on it. Generally try to cover all the bases and make sure you have healthcare experience to go along with your academics.

Best time to apply, in my opinion, would be no later than 1.5 months after an application(AMCAS or TMDSAS) opens. After you submit the primary, they have to verify/screen it and that can take some time. After that step, schools can send you secondaries which take more time to write. General rule is to submit these as soon as possible, but make sure they are well done.

From my basic understanding there are some key differences between MD and DO. For the most part they both get the same education and take the medical licensing exams. However, DO students have to learn Osteopathic Medical Manipulation(OMM) which is some sort of pseudoscience stuff I'm not familiar with. The biggest difference comes when applying to residency. There is a supposed stigma against DO docs and some inherent bias can be there. This is slowly changing but some traces of it can be seen still.

The length of a residency program would be determined by what residency you go into! Residency is where you decide what kind of doctor you want to become.
Specialties and Subspecialties | UW Medicine
^^
There is a helpful link of the length of various residency programs.