Med schools in the most desired locations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedelicatessen

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a corollary to the thread on med schools in bad neighborhoods, what are some med schools in really nice/safe areas? Based on some of my own interview experiences, I think MCW and University of Missouri-Columbia are in excellent locations. MCW is right next to a nice neighborhood and the suburb Wauwatosa. Columbia was nationally ranked as one of the nicest cities to live in. Plus, both these places have low cost-of-living.

Any others?

Members don't see this ad.

UCLA, UCSF, UCSD, Cornell, NYU, Northwestern, Stanford are all desirable areas. Not cheap though.

Wouldn't you want to go to med school in a place where there are many communities in need?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you like large cities..... UCF once it opens. Will be in a pretty nice suburb of Orlando. Beaches less than an hour away, everything in Orlando.

If you like smaller areas I did my undergrad at FSU and actually really like Tallahassee, so FSU could be one. Neither of these aren't in any particularly "bad" areas.

Problem is that desired location and cost of living are always correlated. Darn the housing market!

UCLA, UCSF, UCSD, Cornell, NYU, Northwestern, Stanford are all desirable areas. Not cheap though.

UCI is practically in Newport

USC is in lincoln heights but nobody lives there, the cities students live in are all really nice (downtown LA, pasadena, silverlake, etc)

places have higher cost of living for a reason

One thing I know is that I wouldn't want to live up North after living in Texas all my life. Everything is so much more expensive over there. $150,000 buys you a 2-story house in Texas but only a condo in Michigan. That's pathetic!

One thing I know is that I wouldn't want to live up North after living in Texas all my life. Everything is so much more expensive over there. $150,000 buys you a 2-story house in Texas but only a condo in Michigan. That's pathetic!

and not even half a condo in LA! fantastic!

UConn is in a really really incredibly safe neighborhood. So safe to the point that it's kinda boring. At least there are some things to do in West Hartford.

UCSF is in an ideal location for my money. Also, NYU and UPenn have incredible locations. I've heard Tufts is in a nice spot in Boston also, although that's not from personal experience.

You need to get your butt out of Texas and see the world. Go to LA or New York.

Members don't see this ad :)

Lol, but I LIKE keeping my money in my bank account! :p

Lol, but I LIKE keeping my money in my bank account! :p

Aren't you 18, Doogie? How do you have any money? Why are you worrying about what houses cost?

(You're too young to remember Doogie Howser, aren't you. Darn kid.)

I'm not sure that a bunch of suburbs like at MCW is exactly "desired" location... more like an "I'm a scared sheltered little premed who's afraid of the big bad city" location.

what part of Michigan were you in? I wasn't aware that our houses had value... really I wasn't.

Harvard MS is pretty awesome.

Harvard Sq has tonnes of stuff, restaurants, tonnes of activities with easy public transportation. Cost of living is fairly high, but considering the amount of stuff around you, its worth it. Its in the City, yet not really, best of both worlds I guess. Outside of that, you haves tonnes of research institutions around you and some top notch hospitals.

Getting in is a bit of problem though....

Use Google Earth to explore campuses. My favorite med school locations are UCSD, UCSF, Stanford, NYU, and Baltimore. Many people badmouth Baltimore but I think it is a cool city--with easy access to NYC and DC.

UCI and UCLA are also cool.

I'm not sure that a bunch of suburbs like at MCW is exactly "desired" location... more like an "I'm a scared sheltered little premed who's afraid of the big bad city" location.

meaning?

Harvard MS is pretty awesome.

Harvard Sq has tonnes of stuff, restaurants, tonnes of activities with easy public transportation. Cost of living is fairly high, but considering the amount of stuff around you, its worth it. Its in the City, yet not really, best of both worlds I guess. Outside of that, you haves tonnes of research institutions around you and some top notch hospitals.

Getting in is a bit of problem though....

Um, you do know that HMS is not anywhere near the Cambridge campus, right? It's about 20 minutes away in the Longwood Medical Area of Boston, right near Fenway. It's still a pretty superb location though given the amount of medical opportunities right around you and the proximity to things like Boston's Emerald Necklace (a string of parks), the Museum of Fine Arts, and of course Fenway Park. Also, there's a convenient and free shuttle that goes between the Cambridge campus and Longwood so many students end up living in Cambridge after their first year and the T is only a block from campus, so you have access to the whole city.

Um, you do know that HMS is not anywhere near the Cambridge campus, right? It's about 20 minutes away in the Longwood Medical Area of Boston, right near Fenway. It's still a pretty superb location though given the amount of medical opportunities right around you and the proximity to things like Boston's Emerald Necklace (a string of parks), the Museum of Fine Arts, and of course Fenway Park. Also, there's a convenient and free shuttle that goes between the Cambridge campus and Longwood so many students end up living in Cambridge after their first year and the T is only a block from campus, so you have access to the whole city.

I know, but longwood isn't that far from Harvard Sq with the shuttle. I just happen to spend a lot more time at Harvard Sq than at longwood, less stuff out there. I'm uncultured, never been to the MFA even though I've been in boston for 8 years :)

UCI is practically in Newport

USC is in lincoln heights but nobody lives there, the cities students live in are all really nice (downtown LA, pasadena, silverlake, etc)

...but UCI's hospital is in Anaheim, which is definitely not Newport.

Miami!!!, Cornell is in a really nice part of New York City from what I hear

UConn is in a really really incredibly safe neighborhood. So safe to the point that it's kinda boring. At least there are some things to do in West Hartford.

UCSF is in an ideal location for my money. Also, NYU and UPenn have incredible locations. I've heard Tufts is in a nice spot in Boston also, although that's not from personal experience.

Tufts (the undergrad campus) is out past Davis Square in Sommerville. Tufts med is in Chinatown, which is a really sketch area. The rest of Boston's pretty nice, if you don't go into Roxbury/parts of Jamaica Plain.

Penn!

I know, most people would say (and incorrectly--they probably have not even been here) that Penn is one of the less desirable places. But, to me, places like Northwestern and Cornell seem rather sterile and insulated in their posh cosmopolitan niches. Penn, on the other hand, offers the best of many worlds. First and foremost, the patient population is extremely broad...and I speak from experience volunteering at the hospital. You get rich folk from Rittenhouse Square in the same room as a single mother on welfare from Cobbs Creek. There are Mexican immigrants from 56th Street alongside eastern European migrants from Frankford Avenue. The patients are not only local, however. Penn's reputation as a leader in cancer treatment, obstetrics, and many other fields brings in people from, just from my own experience, as far away as Kentucky and Vermont. Penn also excels as a place to live. As I've said, it doesn't have the soaring rents of Michigan or First Avenues (yet). Nevertheless, there is a charming rawness to this part of the city (that is sadly becoming diluted with the construction of each new complex of luxury condominiums). The area just west of campus, called Spruce Hill, is a mecca for organic-produce-loving, fair-trade-tea-sipping liberals [like me ;-)]...perhaps not such a great place for political conservatives. But I cannot think of a more lovely way to spend an evening than listening to the locals unwind from their day jobs by playing a free pickup bluegrass concert at the Green Line Cafe...or to spend a Saturday morning than picking out farm fresh vegetables and baked goods from Amish merchants at the Clark Park farmers' market. There is a spirit of community to the area that seems to have defied the ritzier parts of the city. Neighbors talk to one another, they play bocce in the park, they tend to the community gardens and to the upkeep of the fabulous Queen Anne-style houses that line the narrow streets. There is such a vibrant dynamic here I would even go so far as to call it idyllic. And if you're looking more for the typical urban experience, Center City is only a stroll or short trip on the el away. West Philly offers some of the best dining in the entire mid-Atlantic...both in terms of breadth and quality. Restaurants like Marigolds, Abyssinia, Dahlak, Rx, Zocalo, Vientiane Cafe, White Dog Cafe, La Terrasse, and many others only add to the multicultural fabric of this exciting community.

I could wax poetic all day about how I love Penn and its surroundings...and without mentioning anything about the school itself (which obviously needs no further endorsement). But if you do come to interview at Penn, definitely keep an open mind and realize just what a treasure its location is, and that West Philly is not what you would think.

Some people just aren't too impressed with those places. (me) Personally, I hate LA and would never want to live there, and New York is just too crowded and dirty for me. Every culture thing I could do could be done on the occasional visit...and I spend fraction of the money for living! Give me my 5 acres of land and a house by the lake any day. ;)

I agree with nlax in that Tally really isn't a bad area...gets a bad rap. There is a fairly diverse population compared to some areas, housing is reasonable, less than an hour to a beach and only 30 minutes to some rivers and what not. Great if you like outdoors kind of stuff like fishing, camping, hunting, kayaking, etc.

I don't know if I would quite consider Orlando a "large city" though. The official population is only around 200,000 I think...just all the tourists. The suburbs obviously make that larger, but still...not THAT big. To put it in perspective the official Tallahassee population is around 180,000 I think.....with about 1/10000000000000th the tourism.

The University of Minnesota-Twin Cities is in a sweet part of Minneapolis. The area is nice, vibrant, and college-like, and the campus is one of the most beautiful in the states. The university has a river on 2 sides and there are over 20 lakes within Minneapolis city limits alone. The city has also been voted one of the top 10 cities in the country for young professionals.

Aren't you 18, Doogie? How do you have any money? Why are you worrying about what houses cost?

(You're too young to remember Doogie Howser, aren't you. Darn kid.)

o_O

*looks at Wikipedia*

I do NOT look 18. In fact, I pretty easily pass for 22, thank god. :confused:

what part of Michigan were you in? I wasn't aware that our houses had value... really I wasn't.

Suburbs of Detroit. A house that doesn't look like a caddy-shack is way expensive up here! Then again, it's a semi-desirable place to live compared to Detroit itself.

Penn!

I know, most people would say (and incorrectly--they probably have not even been here) that Penn is one of the less desirable places. But, to me, places like Northwestern and Cornell seem rather sterile and insulated in their posh cosmopolitan niches. Penn, on the other hand, offers the best of many worlds. First and foremost, the patient population is extremely broad...and I speak from experience volunteering at the hospital. You get rich folk from Rittenhouse Square in the same room as a single mother on welfare from Cobbs Creek. There are Mexican immigrants from 56th Street alongside eastern European migrants from Frankford Avenue. The patients are not only local, however. Penn's reputation as a leader in cancer treatment, obstetrics, and many other fields brings in people from, just from my own experience, as far away as Kentucky and Vermont. Penn also excels as a place to live. As I've said, it doesn't have the soaring rents of Michigan or First Avenues (yet). Nevertheless, there is a charming rawness to this part of the city (that is sadly becoming diluted with the construction of each new complex of luxury condominiums). The area just west of campus, called Spruce Hill, is a mecca for organic-producing-loving, fair-trade-tea-sipping liberals [like me ;-)]...perhaps not such a great place for political conservatives. But I cannot think of a more lovely way to spend an evening than listening to the locals unwind from their day jobs by playing a free pickup bluegrass concert at the Green Line Cafe...or to spend a Saturday morning than picking out farm fresh vegetables and baked goods from Amish merchants at the Clark Park farmers' market. There is a spirit of community to the area that seems to have defied the ritzier parts of the city. Neighbors talk to one another, they play bocce in the park, they tend to the community gardens and to the upkeep of the fabulous Queen Anne-style houses that line the narrow streets. There is such a vibrant dynamic here I would even go so far as to call it idyllic. And if you're looking more for the typical urban experience, Center City is only a stroll or short trip on the el away. West Philly offers some of the best dining in the entire mid-Atlantic...both in terms of breadth and quality. Restaurants like Marigolds, Abyssinia, Dahlak, Rx, Zocalo, Vientiane Cafe, White Dog Cafe, La Terrasse, and many others only add to the multicultural fabric of this exciting community.

I could wax poetic all day about how I love Penn and its surroundings...and without mentioning anything about the school itself (which obviously needs no further endorsement). But if you do come to interview at Penn, definitely keep an open mind and realize just what a treasure its location is, and that West Philly is not what you would think.

You forgot Mizu over by McDonald's :-\. Otherwise I'm a UG in the area, not at Penn or Drexel, figure it out. :p

Overall: Amen. :clap:

For this country boy, I really liked ETSU... beautiful campus, nestled in the smokies, quiet and liveable town that is very affordable.

Emory. Beautiful suburban location (big, old houses) only 15 minutes from the nitty, gritty city. Oh, and of course, Stewart University.

Texas Tech in Lubbock...

Very easy to buy a decent brick home at most 15 mins from school (I lived less than 5 mins). Its a very safe town, there are some parts that are sketchy.... but nothing like the 'big cities'. Lubbock has one of the highest number of restaurants per capita in Texas. Plenty of selection from the big chains to old school mom and pops. All the big chain retail stores are in town, and Southwest Airlines serves the area making flights out of there cheap.

Did I mention mountains and skiing within about 3-4 hours? If you like to party, we have all the best aspects of a college town (30K undergrads). Lots of big private parties if you get in the loop, and plenty of hang out/bars and the such...

It's just that the immediate area around the school is safe (aside from the fact that we just got warned that someone's threatening violence to the female med students). There are plenty of areas in Milwaukee that aren't as safe as Wauwatosa. The hospitals attached to MCW campus are the level 1 trauma center and children's hospital for southeastern WI, so we still get the knife and gun club.

UMDNJ-NJMS in Newark....albeit someone got shot and killed fifty feet from the school last friday, overall it is a relatively decent area. Alot of people bad mouth Newark and while it does have its problems, the University Heights section (where UMDNJ, NJIT, Rutgers-Newark, and ECC are located) is one of the nicest areas in Newark. Just my 2 cents...

I agree with nlax in that Tally really isn't a bad area...gets a bad rap. There is a fairly diverse population compared to some areas, housing is reasonable, less than an hour to a beach and only 30 minutes to some rivers and what not. Great if you like outdoors kind of stuff like fishing, camping, hunting, kayaking, etc.

I don't know if I would quite consider Orlando a "large city" though. The official population is only around 200,000 I think...just all the tourists. The suburbs obviously make that larger, but still...not THAT big. To put it in perspective the official Tallahassee population is around 180,000 I think.....with about 1/10000000000000th the tourism.

Haha, props on your Tally knowledge! If you like smaller/more rural areas you'll like it. If you're a big city concrete lover you'll hate it. I had a bunch of friends in undergrad who couldn't wait to leave Tallahassee. Now that I'm a little older, and married, I've come to enjoy the slightly slower pace, being able to drive anywhere in town within 20 minutes, and the summers when the students are gone and the population drops by like 25%.

When most people talk about Orlando, they're probably more accurately referring to the "Greater Orlando area", technically incorporated Orlando has only ~200,000 people, but most of the people live in the surrounding cities/towns/suburbs, which accounts most of the ~2million people in the area. I lived in the area for most of my life but never actually lived IN Orlando proper.

But, I guess like any place where you've been for a long time you kind of get a little tired of it and enjoy some new scenery. I like Orlando, but generally never went south of the actual Downtown area to the Disney area which is pretty much tourists.

John A. Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii. Enough said.

John A. Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii. Enough said.

Horrible! Oahu driving/streets stress me out soooooooooo much. That's my state school that I turned down to go to MCW. The only thing I liked about the school was it was "near" home... an island hop away. Oh yeah, and I learned after 1 winter in Milwaukee that I hate the cold.

UCSF, Stanford and UCSD are all really nice.

Purely in terms of location..? It has to be UC San Diego hands down. Freakin beautiful place.

im an undergrad at UCLA and its amazing

westwood is an AMAZING little part of LA to live in ... we have the fox theater where the major premiers show .... hundreds of restaurants ... our back door is Bel Air (literally ... when u exit the back entrance of UCLA immediatley opposite to you are the Bel Air gates) ... and the best part i think is that it doesnt really feel like your in a city that has 6 million people ... yet u still have all of the options that a metropolitan has to offer ... i luv ucla!!!

and sf is nice too ... sunset district is a nice part ...

Purely in terms of location..? It has to be UC San Diego hands down. Freakin beautiful place.

Hell yeah

I'm celebrating my first (of two) MS4 research months -- and the end of tests for the remainder of my med school career -- by going sailing in Coronado Bay tomorrow...With the weather here, I can do this kind of thing year-round...

Hell yeah

I'm celebrating my first (of two) MS4 research months -- and the end of tests for the remainder of my med school career -- by going sailing in Coronado Bay tomorrow...With the weather here, I can do this kind of thing year-round...
Congrats man, although i dont really like Coronado Bay since its just too crowded. Have fun though.