Med schools shouldn't accept non-science majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LOL...WHO mentioned Jack Handy? Too funny.

I don't know about you but I am good enough, smart enough and dog gonnit, people like me!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I shouldnt' have brought up the VTech incident. That was uncalled for. Anyways, I am bitter to see how many non-science majors get into good med schools.

I majored in finance and marketing. It was easy and I got good grades. I bet I'll do better in medical school than you will

LOL...WHO mentioned Jack Handy? Too funny.

I don't know about you but I am good enough, smart enough and dog gonnit, people like me!

Wow, first Jack Handy now they're bringin out the Stuart Smalley. Out of control.

Members don't see this ad :)
A gilr is a third sex; apparently us non-Hard Science majors rarely have heard of it.

Blow-up doll?

To the OP, it's all about playing the game. I was a Premedicine (and then changed to Life Science) major at PSU. I always thought it was unfair that others could do Human Health & Development and easily outrank me in terms of GPA. In terms of playing the game,however, you've got to hand it to non-science majors. They did the smart thing in using a non-science major to boost their GPA. It has been my comparatively low GPA that has hurt me during my application to medical school.

Conversely, I also think that being in a rigorous life science-oriented curriculum has given me the opportunity to take other courses such as biochem, nutrition, medical microbiology, genetics, and physiology that will make my MS-1 year easier to grasp and will have provided a foundation beyond the scope of the MCAT which will have real-world significance. Keep in mind the MCAT only tests BASIC sciences -- thus using the MCAT as a sole source of who is better off for medical school may not be all-encompassing..

because: ( I think)

1) they want easy way out
2) probably can't handle hard science courses
3) people that major in humanites or English or something like that are crazy
4) don't have true passion for Biological Sciences

edit: took out some inappropriate contents

First let me start by adding that I'm a music major. Now my response:

1) If:
-taking 17-18 hours per semester -getting home most days after 6pm, -spending 8-12 hours a week studying -never getting a good night sleep is an easy way out, then yes... I'm lazy.
2) I think passing a science class with a 96 average when 70% of the class failed is a pretty decent response to this one.
3) You're right on this one...most music majors are crazy at least, but you would be too if you saw their schedules.
4) Who says that you can't have two passions?

In all, I think you just made this whole post to make people mad, but if anything I think non-majors are working just as hard as majors, and on top of that we have classes outside of the science ones to worry about.

i am sure this has already been said.. but the question is easy according to who? i went to a liberal arts college and although i was a science major i was required to take lots of liberal arts classes. some were easy but so was plant biology. some were mind bogglingly difficult. ever try to understand kantian philosophy? ugh.

When/If you get an interview, you should mention this to your interviewer.

I think the OP 's comment shows the need for some people to take more humanities courses. Besides communication, analytical skills, etc, my English major exposed me to different cultures and different perspectives. Thus, making me more open-minded--something a doctor needs to be. You can't generalize your patients like the OP is generalizing all non-science majors who are takng the "easy way out".
Also since I'm fed up with my thesis right now, I would much rather be takng a science class. It requires a lot less sitting around and thiking of a brand new way to analyze Thoreau! GIve me some biochem and anatomy please!!

I majored in Hard Science and I studied my butt off to just to get into a med school while this gilr I know majored in English and minor in music gets into a IVY school. And she didnt study as much as me

I bet what happened was that "gilr" ate a poop hotdog and you didn't. :idea:

bengalwhatever is obviously a troll!! don't give him any attention anymore!!

BTW, my major is physics and I think it is unfair too....

JUST KIDDING LOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
LACs get to do both! Hurray for Keats!

A) I love this thread

Bet she nailed the interviews too. Riddle me this, Batman? If she was week in the sciences, how'd she beat your MCAT score...

B) How did nobody catch this. :)

I can see the next thread: My dad can beat up your dad, so I should get into med school and not you!

C) My dad was in the army for 10 years. His ass-whooping capability got me a full ride to Wash U, Harvard, and JHU. Decisions, decisions...:(

Well the biggest difference is that competition for grades is not as prevalent in non-science majors. I don't know if they have some kind of quota on grades, but even if they do, I don't think its as strict as in science courses. At my school there are strict quotas in science classes for the number of A's so everyone competes and wants to do better then the person next to them.

What a completely stupid thread. Medical schools not accept non science majors? For some of my science majoring friends humanities were very difficult for them. I was an Old Testament: Ancient Near Eastern Archcaeology Major with a minor in Hebrew (and Biology) Let's see you learn Biblical Hebrew and Ugaritic. Ugaritic is base on little tiny triangles. In order to even take Ugaritic you must have Hebrew to the Exegetical level (Grad students take it.)
I changed to Pre-med halfway through college. I decided to stick with my major because I would be studying science all my life. Why not study something different for a while? I don't regret my experience and I think it helped set me apart from all the other biology majors out there.

When/If you get an interview, you should mention this to your interviewer.

I will mention it to my colleagues during residency :smuggrin:

LOL greatest thread ever.

OP should print these posts out and frame it; it'll be the best achievement he's had thus far.

I should huh? And then give it to white girls as a b-day present since (I think ) they have low standards? :laugh: I am kidding hehe

I'm so glad this thread hasn't been closed yet. It has given me mirth and a way to vent. Thank you OP. Don't change anything when you're reapplying to school. You should just cut and paste your posts here for your PS. It might just be possible that you weren't accepted because you came accross as a total tool? No, that can't be it. It must be that the adcoms are unfairly biased towards us liberal arts types who can speak english coherently.

I majored in Hard Science and I studied my butt off to just to get into a med school while this gilr I know majored in English and minor in music gets into a IVY school. And she didnt study as much as me

Maybe she was more qualified than you are.

hmmm. what about mathematics and music majors? Are those easy? HELL NO

All else aside, I do think it would be impressive to have diploma reading "Bachelor of Hard Science" right next to my "Doctor of Hard Medicine" degree.

Also, I think Physics and Pure Mathematics majors will take exception to the OP's characterization of the Biological Sciences as the "hard" sciences.

I wish all those white gilrs would major in my HARD Anatomy...

lol OP, quite the bold statement.

but you really haven't thought this through. there's a reason there are premed prereqs and MCAT.

I like the OP's ballsy statement but what are med schools to do about people who don't major in sciences that do better in pre-reqs and score higher on the MCAT than someone who majors in a science? I didn't major in chem or physics but I got a 13 in physical sciences. Is this score somehow worth less than a chem or physic major's 13. If anything mine is worth more because I haven't seen near as much material on the subject. And who is to say it is easier to get high grades in say English than it is Biology? At my school you have to be an exceptional writer to get A's and A-'s in English.

I like the OP's ballsy statement but what are med schools to do about people who don't major in sciences that do better in pre-reqs and score higher on the MCAT than someone who majors in a science? I didn't major in chem or physics but I got a 13 in physical sciences. Is this score somehow worth less than a chem or physic major's 13. If anything mine is worth more because I haven't seen near as much material on the subject. And who is to say it is easier to get high grades in say English than it is Biology? At my school you have to be an exceptional writer to get A's and A-'s in English.

It may be worth your while to note that HAROLD VARMUS, M.D., current head of the Lung Cancer Oncogene Group at Sloan-Kettering Institute as well as President of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (#1 cancer center is the United States, folks), did his bachelor's in English at Amherst followed by a master's in English @ Harvard before attending medical school at Columbia. He is also the former director of the NIH and won the 1989 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for discovery of the cellular origin of retroviral oncogenes.

With all due respect, OP, you have just had your rear handed to you.

i am a biochem major, but dude it is just medicine anyone with a brain is qualified to practice. :sleep:

that's SDN heresy!!!! Everyone knows that nobody from a state school can get into medical school, let alone practice! Besides, as the OP has pointed out, you need to be in love with "hard sciences" to be an MD. I guess those classes in humanistic medicine are 'hard science' right?

Please let me know where you go on to practice so I can avoid getting sick in your state.

I personally never understood why some people who majored in say English then decide to pursue such a science intensive career, however, I do not think they should be prevented from doing so if they are just as qualified. That would just be asinine.

Whoever started this forum is obsurd and it is obvious why you didn't get into a med school you are happy with so you are taking out your frustrations on others. What about nonscience majors who worked in other careers and therefore did postbacc programs? Are they less qualified? Being a dr is a lot more than knowing about entry level and slightly advanced science classes that you will never use as a doctor. And life experiences which add to your ability to deal with patients, manage harsh hours and have a realistic grasp on life have much more to do with being a successful physician. Not everyone is a nonscience major because they want to inflate their GPA, and news flash, your science classes aren't the hardest courses out there either. I would venture to say that working a fulltime job while taking night classes to fullfil the premed requirements and having the time to have a family and still rock the MCATs most likely speaks to my ability a little more than your biochem, molecular biology and whatever other courses you think make you more qualified. Doesn't really matter though because I am in a school I am thrilled about.

Dealing with patients in a clinical setting is often closely related to the humanties (sociology, psychology among others), moreso then many scientific disciplines.

Medicine is not a purebred science.

I personally never understood why some people who majored in say English then decide to pursue such a science intensive career, however, I do not think they should be prevented from doing so if they are just as qualified. That would just be asinine.

actually, most of the time the plans is to pursue a science-intensive career. when a career in science or medicine is already decided upon, only a handful of people have the vision necessary to understand that their undergraduate years are the final years alotted for formal study of non-scientific fields. after undergrad, studying or developing an insight/expertise in anything other than science/medicine is exceedingly difficult. reading a text by barzun on western cultural history for intellectual development between wards and boards doesn't sound like a swiss picnic to ANY medical student.

actually, most of the time the plans is to pursue a science-intensive career. when a career in science or medicine is already decided upon, only a handful of people have the vision necessary to understand that their undergraduate years are the final years alotted for formal study of non-scientific fields. after undergrad, studying or developing an insight/expertise in anything other than science/medicine is exceedingly difficult. reading a text by barzun on western cultural history for intellectual development between wards and boards doesn't sound like a swiss picnic to ANY medical student.

Meh, I guess I'm just the type who would rather focus more on what I enjoy the most.

Meh, I guess I'm just the type who would rather focus more on what I enjoy the most.

and so you should -- but there are people out there who enjoy a number of disciplines and should not be held back from becoming accomplished in them as they see fit. as you say in your previous post, doing so would be asinine.

While this post was likely meant by the OP to either lash out at folks who bumped him out of the process or just to incite flames, I think OP needs to take a bit of a history lesson.

Not that many decades back, to get into med school you actually generally did need to be a science major. The profession ultimately realized it was a service industry more than a science, and that the solely bio major premed types it had been recruiting up to then were not really generating the kinds of physicians the patients (i.e. the customers) wanted. So med schools changed focus and began admitting non-sci majors, as well as nontrads, women etc. in record number. Emphasis in school was also increased on clinical skills, ethics, empathy etc. rather than the purely dry science. The MCAT scores continued to rise, so these changes did not have much impact on science ability in terms of admissions, and the end result is arguably a much more well rounded doctors. So the change was driven more by the percieved flaws of the prior generations of sci major physicians -- ie we tried that route and it didn't work well enough. Like it or not, this change is here to stay.

Some of us didn't start our college careers with medicine in mind, hence the liberal arts majors. Obviously I didnt' really have any career in mind when I majored in French.....

So, answer this my friend: What does having a "hard science" have to do with showing your care and empathy for patients? Nothing. From your posts it shows that basically your bedside manner would be just absolutely horrible.

See, the sad thing about a guy like you is that you think that everyone owes you something. I bet you were the kind of kid in classes that would whine about a test grade, because your prof "owed" you a better grade. I'm here to tell you that no one owes you anything my friend. All you can do is work your hardest. Don't persecute others over your jealousy. Trust me, no one cares, and those hot non-asian gilrs won't want to date a loser like you. Answer me this: if you think "Hard Science" whatever the hell that means, was a painful, hard experience, why did you major in it? You had no edge to get into med school with it, and if anything it just shows a lack in care for your pursuit for higher education.

One last thing: I would never want to have you as a doctor, I'd much rather have someone who was caring, not someone who's just a wrapped up in his own vanity and jealously like you.

PS: what the hell does hard science mean?

PPS: I majored in soft science, minor is soft psychology (none of that bitchy hard psychology)

Judging from the results, I'd say that the OP was desperately looking for some attention and didn't care about the quality of attention that he was going to get. There's no meaning in his original post, except the need to draw negative attention to himself. Given the flame causing nature of his post, I'd say the differential includes Internet trolling.

troll_2.jpg