Med schools that have note taking service/video lectures/etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surftheiop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm completely awful at taking notes in lectures. Usually I either rely on the textbook or a note taking service run by a local bookstore.

So I was curious what sort of options there will be for me in med school?

For reference schools I'm applying to : MUSC, USC, Wake, UVA, Vandy, Emory, Baylor, UNC.

Members don't see this ad.

Get an interview, go to the interview, and they'll tell you there.

Or just PM a current student at those schools.

On a helpful note...Vandy tapes their lectures.

Google or try the school website. But I know most schools tape lectures

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the vast majority of schools require that profs give you lecture notes; many also provide videoed lectures. The volume of material you learn is such that it is very impractical to take notes on your own.

Yeah, every school I looked at, and definitely at UofL where I go, they have a huge note packet you can buy at the beginning of the class. Trust me, it's enough work to follow along and add additional notes in the margins without having to copy down ALL the material.

Ah glad to hear they usually give notes, I guess will be something for me to ask med student tour guides on interview days

Yeah, every school I looked at, and definitely at UofL where I go, they have a huge note packet you can buy at the beginning of the class. Trust me, it's enough work to follow along and add additional notes in the margins without having to copy down ALL the material.

How much is it? Just wondering.

Usually, services like note-taking and the like are offered through the university's office for disability services- if you qualify.

I too can be awful at taking notes during lecture depending on the professor's/presentation style. Throughout undergrad I have been recording lectures directly onto my iPod to sync with my iTunes for reference. This is helpful for detailed material presented that requires rote memorization or even for listening during workouts/travel time for added exposure.

It seems like podcasts/videos are becoming more popular at certain undergraduate institutions and medical schools. However, unless it is the school's policy, availability of videotaped lectures is going to vary from professor to professor, and professors who make them now might not in the future.