Med Specialty Quiz!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2nd Quiz

Screen Shot 2015-12-31 at 2.13.40 AM.png

I could have predicted that I'd be less "compatible" with most of the surgical specialties. I'm currently interested in working with adolescents, so it's nice to see peds, peds neuro and psych higher up on the list. I really need to shadow in PM&R, though. My GF is going to PT school next summer, so that's even more interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

Good call, don't know why I didn't just screenshot.

YcYlvdq.png

How are you guys getting such high numbers for the second quiz?

Quiz 1
1) Neurology
2) Psychiatry (tied w/Path)
2) Pathology (tied w/Psych)
3) Internal medicine (tied w/Allergy)
3) Allergy (tied w/Internal Medicine)

Quiz 2
1) Psychiatry
2) Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
3) Child Neurology
4) Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
5) Allergy and Immunology

My actual tops are

1) Neurology (probably adult)
2) Aerospace Medicine
3) Internal Medicine
4) Psychiatry
5) Emergency

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm surprised pm&r is even on the list, we usually get ignored. Best kept secret in medicine.

Heck yeah, I got pathology & radiology as my top choices. I am glad I didn't choose my residency incorrectly. And miraculously enough, my least favorite specialty (OB/GYN) is my lowest. The good folks at Buffalo have figured it out.

Thanks!

How much work do you do with adolescents and would it be possible to specialize in that age group, through PM&R?

In sports medicine clinics we see a fair amount of adolescents (athletes). We also see a small amount of CP/spinal bifida, neuromuscular or myotonic disease kids getting Botox for spasticity and/or refilling/managing baclofen pumps. In other residencies you will do more with orthotics/prosthetics/chairs etc for kids. Of course we also have a separate pediatric rotation as do all rehab residencies.

They have a small amount of pediatric pm&r residencies. You could just do pm&r and then do a fellowship in pediatric rehab (they aren't too competitive). Generally speaking you won't do too much peds in most residencies, and would probably need more training to feel comfortable.

Quiz 1:
1). Neurology (46)
2). Occupational Medicine (45)
3). Allergy & Immunology (45)
4). Endocrinology (44)
5). Pathology (44)

Quiz 2:
1). Rad Onc (32.88)
2). Neurology (33.82)
3). Med Onc (33.89)
4). Hematology (35.13)
5). Neonatal - Perinatal Medicine (36.08)

Gonna retake the second quiz and maybe not rate everything as so important hehe

In sports medicine clinics we see a fair amount of adolescents (athletes). We also see a small amount of CP/spinal bifida, neuromuscular or myotonic disease kids getting Botox for spasticity and/or refilling/managing baclofen pumps. In other residencies you will do more with orthotics/prosthetics/chairs etc for kids. Of course we also have a separate pediatric rotation as do all rehab residencies.

They have a small amount of pediatric pm&r residencies. You could just do pm&r and then do a fellowship in pediatric rehab (they aren't too competitive). Generally speaking you won't do too much peds in most residencies, and would probably need more training to feel comfortable.
Thanks!

How would you describe the scope of the specialty?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!

How would you describe the scope of the specialty?

It is really broad. Unfortunately, I am not as knowledgable about peds (have no interest in it, or any colleagues that are). The trend in rehab is moving more towards specialization. If you do inpatient you will see more variety as far as neuro, cardiovascular, pulmonary, trauma, etc. outpatient you are more likely to focus on msk/emg, neuro diseases (post stroke, brain injury, spinal cord injury), sports med, or interventional spine (back injections, ablations, spinal cord stimulators). There are still people doing everything plus prosthetics and wheelchair, but they seem to be more rare (I'm in a fairly saturated east coast market). Additionally, it seems more jobs are inpatient vs outpatient but some still blend both.

Once you get into clinicals just try to rotate through. Most people never really see the specialty through med school, other than seeing the rehab residents roll in at 8 and leave at 4:30 everyday.

Quiz 1:
General Surgery 46
Orthopaedic surgery 45
OBGYN 44
Urology 44
Thoracic Surgery 44

Quiz 2:
Emergency Med 20
Anesthesiology 21
Plastics 22
Gastroenterology 24
Orthopedic Surgery 26

Basically two quizzes about the 'right' specialties for you. Post your top 5 for one or both, and if they are specialties you are at the moment interested in or not.

Click here for the first quiz.

Second Quiz, this is more accurate personally
2 allergy & immunology 42
3 physical med & rehabilitation 42
4 neurology 41
5 aerospace med 41

WTF? :uhno:

Quiz 2:
1. Dermatology (meh)
2. Ophthalmology :nod:
3. Otolaryngology :nod:
4. Plastic Surgery :cool:
5. Gastroenterology :sleep:

2nd quiz was more accurate for me. How about your results?

Please note this is just for fun.

The first one had my 3 main interests as the 3 best for me... The second only had one, and the one I was most interested was at the bottom of the list.

anesthesiology was an 82% match for me. dermatolgy and neurosurgery behind that (70's) and then internal medicine. all of which I would consider. I was a neuroscience major undergrad. my 'gift is infectious disease'. hmmm
but I failed step2ck 4 times and cant get a diploma from my medical school (Ross university) even though I was 7 weeks from graduation. any suggestions?

My results for the 2nd quiz!

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 42.13
Rheumatology 43.86
Psychiatry 44.09
Allergy and Immunology 45.63
Dermatology 46.28

I'm only a first-year med student (19 y/o), so I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with a specialty or not, but so far my interest lies in Psychiatry and other less fast-paced specialties.

It is really broad. Unfortunately, I am not as knowledgable about peds (have no interest in it, or any colleagues that are). The trend in rehab is moving more towards specialization. If you do inpatient you will see more variety as far as neuro, cardiovascular, pulmonary, trauma, etc. outpatient you are more likely to focus on msk/emg, neuro diseases (post stroke, brain injury, spinal cord injury), sports med, or interventional spine (back injections, ablations, spinal cord stimulators). There are still people doing everything plus prosthetics and wheelchair, but they seem to be more rare (I'm in a fairly saturated east coast market). Additionally, it seems more jobs are inpatient vs outpatient but some still blend both.

Once you get into clinicals just try to rotate through. Most people never really see the specialty through med school, other than seeing the rehab residents roll in at 8 and leave at 4:30 everyday.

What do you see your future hours and salary situation looking like? I'm very much wanting a lifestyle field and PM&R definitely is on my radar. Current plan is doing anesthesia and then a pain management fellowship to work in a pain management clinic.

What do you see your future hours and salary situation looking like? I'm very much wanting a lifestyle field and PM&R definitely is on my radar. Current plan is doing anesthesia and then a pain management fellowship to work in a pain management clinic.

I am doing an interventional pain fellowship next year. I assume 45-50 hrs a week with minimal to no weekends and occasional "call" for "emergencies" to tell people to go to the ED. Probably expect 50-100k more than general pm&r a year in an ethical practice. I see the future of pm&r moving to subacute facilities and maybe regenerative med taking off. Hard to say what the future holds. I think rehab is hard to predict because we don't really "own" a certain field/pathology. If you rotate thru and like the specialty, go for it! Its a great field.

I got PM&R for both quizzes which is interesting because it's honestly something I know next to nothing about. Now I'm researching!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Quiz 1:

1 psychiatry 47
spacer.gif

2 pulmonology 47
spacer.gif

3 allergy & immunology 46
spacer.gif

4 preventive med 45
spacer.gif

5 physical med & rehabilitation 44
spacer.gif

6 neurology 44
spacer.gif

7 neurosurgery 44
spacer.gif

[...]
spacer.gif

13 aerospace med 43

Listed aerospace medicine because it sounds really interesting. Quite surprised psychiatry showed up at the first because I marked "Strongly Agree" on all the questions about technology, gadgets, and being mathematically inclined and I only have good communication skills in very limited situations.

Quiz 2:

Dermatology
Ophthalmology
Radiation Oncology
Otolaryngology
Gastroenterology
Orthopaedic Surgery
Urology
Sports Medicine
Plastic Surgery

Eh, not much overlap, really.

1. rad onc
2. neurosurg
3. neonatal-perinatal med
4. plastic surg
5. vascular surg

where did neonatal come from lol

2nd quiz
15.33 Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation :D
21.52 Allergy and Immunology:nod:
21.53 Dermatology:cool:
22.25 Neurologyo_O
22.86 Pediatrics:unsure:
23 Rheumatology:happy:

Sooo I was pretty sure I was going into Derm, but I wanted to be sure. It ended up in my top 5 on both tests hahahaha. Guess it's a life of cysts and dialated pores of winer for me!

Otolaryngology - 18.15
Emergency Medicine - 18.36
Radiation Oncology - 18.51
Plastic Surgery - 19.38
Dermatology - 19.41

(I feel like my numbers ended up way smaller than everybody else's o.o)

#1 Endocrinology
#2 Family Practice
#3 Allergy and Immun.
#4 Dermatology
#5 Colon and Rectal Surgery (NICE:naughty:)

Just curious, why do you find dermatology appealing? The money w/ lifestyle? Honest question.

I get satisfaction pulling gross **** out of people's skin. And popping zits. And draining cysts. AND OMG HUGE DIALATED PORES OF WINER :love:

pathology 45
spacer.gif

radiation oncology 44
spacer.gif

obstetrics/gynecology 43
spacer.gif

occupational med 43
spacer.gif

otolaryngology 42
spacer.gif

thoracic surgery 41
spacer.gif

rheumatology 41
spacer.gif

neurology 40
spacer.gif

infectious disease 40
spacer.gif

hematology 39

no.. to all but thoracic surgery and pathology. but Emergency Med is were I want to go.

second qui does not work