Med Student Transfers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DIVA01

*** Extraordinaire
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know about the process of transferring from a US medical school to another after your second year?

Specifically, my husband is in residency in california, and I am stuck in medical school in michigan. Does anyone know of a case like this?

I am specifically looking at USC to transfer into, does anyone go there? how many transfer students are there entering 3rd year? Maybe if I could be provided with their contact info, that would be great.

Thanks!
R

Members don't see this ad.

DIVA01 said:
Hi,
Does anyone know about the process of transferring from a US medical school to another after your second year?

Specifically, my husband is in residency in california, and I am stuck in medical school in michigan. Does anyone know of a case like this?

I am specifically looking at USC to transfer into, does anyone go there? how many transfer students are there entering 3rd year? Maybe if I could be provided with their contact info, that would be great.

Thanks!
R

I go to usc ... why don't you contact the ppl at the admissions office from www.usc.edu/schools/medicine/ksom.html.

dara678 said:
I go to usc ... why don't you contact the ppl at the admissions office from www.usc.edu/schools/medicine/ksom.html.

I have, but they haven't given me very specific information. Just general info.

How do you like it at USC? What year are you right now?

Thanks!
R

Members don't see this ad :)
DIVA01 said:
Hi,

Thanks!
R

I looked in to transfering to California after my second year. Most schools don't really cater to or encourage transfers, and spots are very limited (usually depending on the number of drop outs or students who don't pass, so the numbers change every year). They tend to make the process very hard, as well. I spoke with the director of dmissions at Davis and was told a coupleof things. First, transfering requires a written statement of intent and an explanation of why you want to transfer. Pairing up of spouses is one of the few reasons that is acceptable.

Secondly, I was told that I would have to take my Step I exam early during my second year so that they would have the scores at the time I applied (around the end of the academic school year). All in all it seems tough, but doable. I would just get in touch with a live person at USC who knows about the process and go from there. Hope this helps,

Sebastian. said:
:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

No connections = no transfer. Sorry.

Ok rephrase my question-- has anyone transferred who DOESN'T have connections?

If you did and you did have connections, what kind of connections did you have?

Sebastian. said:
Nope. It pretty much never happens.

Kind of connections: Either a spouse/SO at school or in residency at the institution or just regular ol' corruption - friends in high places.

my hubby is a resident there. so what needs to happen now?

hey, if your husband is a resident there -- that should help a lot!! and i think that that is a completely legitimate reason to transfer. you should have your husband walk into the keith administration building on the health sciences campus and go to the admissions office and ask.

i'm a second year, i like it so far -- although I can't really tell you how it is since you'll be in the third year no?

in any case if you are seriously thinking about transferring i would get on the ball NOW. :)