Med Students Complain Waaaay Too Much

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corpsman33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying that I love my school and I love my classmates (well most of them), but MAN med students have to be the whiniest group on the face of the Earth. They complain about every little detail and nitpick everything to death (and yes I am aware of the irony of complaining about people who complain). Whether it is a bad teacher, bad lecture, hard assignment, or itchy seats in the class rooms, med students will find a way to lament, criticize, and blog about it for the entire length of the semester.

I can't imagine how the administration even deals with us, except that I am sure the "whinny ass" med students are the butt of every joke behind the scenes.

Anyways, rant over.

Members don't see this ad.

complaining, whining and moaning is an age-old ritual for med students. it's a coping mechanism to deal with the horror.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're complaining about med students complaining?

Completely unoriginal.......you failed to see the part in my original post where I said I was already aware of the irony of my post.

Let me preface this by saying that I love my school and I love my classmates (well most of them), but MAN med students have to be the whiniest group on the face of the Earth. They complain about every little detail and nitpick everything to death (and yes I am aware of the irony of complaining about people who complain). Whether it is a bad teacher, bad lecture, hard assignment, or itchy seats in the class rooms, med students will find a way to lament, criticize, and blog about it for the entire length of the semester.

I can't imagine how the administration even deals with us, except that I am sure the "whinny ass" med students are the butt of every joke behind the scenes.

Anyways, rant over.

I hear you. The constant complaining gets to me too. I try not to judge my classmates too harshly. I'm sure most of them are not this way outside of class. Med school gets to people and some people like to vocalize their frustrations. They key is to not hang out with the complainers if it frustrates you. A positive attitude is a more beneficial stress relief than anything.

Anyways, rant over.

totally agree. i laugh and put them on mute for the most part.

complaining, whining and moaning is an age-old ritual for med students. it's a coping mechanism to deal with the horror.

i know what you're trying to say but for real...

horror is what's happening to my friends and family back in new jersey and new york after this storm... or others whose homes washed out to sea or even worse, those who lost loved ones.

studying for exams ain't $hit compared to real life troubles. most of these kids need to buck up, shut up, and just get it done.

Anyways, rant over.

agreed. plus, apparently there is nothing in the world that is harder than med school. and there is nothing more stressful. and anyone who isn't completely in our shoes can't even fathom the insanity that is med school.

that is fun too. people are babies.

but couldn't also be because medical education for some is so damn expensive that they feel that they should have the right to complain and get it fixed? i used to work at an upscale restaurant on the west side and those rich people complain so much

I don't have room in my head for all this crap AND the angst that bad lectures or courses creates for me. It's gotta go somewhere :)

It is because you are ex-military. Ex-navy here and I get a visceral reaction, particularly on wards when the attendings brag about how much harder they had it and the residents complain about overnights. At least they get to go home after a 33 hour shift and aren't stuck on a boat.

But, in all fairness, this ish ain't easy (3rd year, just wait). Also, everyone complained in the military as well, so I guess this is nothing new.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is because you are ex-military. Ex-navy here and I get a visceral reaction, particularly on wards when the attendings brag about how much harder they had it and the residents complain about overnights. At least they get to go home after a 33 hour shift and aren't stuck on a boat.

But, in all fairness, this ish ain't easy (3rd year, just wait). Also, everyone complained in the military as well, so I guess this is nothing new.

r u richard james?

Anyways, rant over.

Just ignore them. Don't go to class and don't play into their drama. It will only bother you if you let it.

:thumbup:

If I weren't already hardened by a few years in the workforce I'd probably be the loudest complainer alive.

Nowadays when someone is pissed about something I just think, "You should've seen the crap that my boss pulled. This is easy-street."

Only the truly outrageous stuff (outrageous in my perspective) gets me riled up.

I like to think that the kids who whine through m1 and m2 are getting ridiculed by residents during clerkship, as I have been hearing. This is a difficult profession. If you want to complain, become a nurse.

haha well... I know what you're talking about, but maybe I can offer two comments that might help put some perspective on this. I go to the same school as you as well, so trust me it's relevant.

1. If you haven't complained about anything yourself yet, either you aren't paying attention or you've been pretty lucky thus far. Don't be so quick to judge, no doubt the time is soon approaching where you too will feel the same urge as many of your fellow classmates haha. Trust. This is medical school, there are and will always be (good) reasons to complain.

2. A "noisy" class isn't necessarily the worst thing. There are a handful of people in our class like that as well, and to be honest I sometimes appreciate it because I know it doesn't have to be me that sends that email or asks that question-- one of them always does it. If a lecture is down, or something needs to be fixed, or something genuinely isn't fair: I can be pretty sure that one of the more vocal folks will make sure the issue is heard. That's not too terrible.

Last edited:
I think when you pay $50k to attend medical school, you have a right to complain when your school falls short on certain expectations.

I dont think its as much as coping mechanism for stress as you think.

Example (and often at my school): Professors tell students not worry about X and that Y will be on the exam. Professors put X on the exam. Yes students have the right to complain. Especially if the professors dont each anything correctly

I think when you pay $50k to attend medical school, you have a right to complain when your school falls short on certain expectations.

I dont think its as much as coping mechanism for stress as you think.

Example (and often at my school): Professors tell students not worry about X and that Y will be on the exam. Professors put X on the exam. Yes students have the right to complain. Especially if the professors dont each anything correctly

Dude, you just used a thread about medical students complaining too much to complain about your professors. Digging the irony.

Dude, you just used a thread about medical students complaining too much to complain about your professors. Digging the irony.

Or trying to get the point across to the OP that med students have the right to complain in certain situations?

At least they get to go home after a 33 hour shift and aren't stuck on a boat.

but but but...
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU[/YOUTUBE]

Anyways, rant over.

I am in your class and I completely agree with you!!!

I am in your class and I completely agree with you!!!

I like going to dean's hours because the whiny students provide great #whatshouldwecallmedschol fuel.

I hope I don't rotate with them...:rolleyes:

My favorite are the facebook status updates. They say "waah med school is so hard" but they really mean "hey everyone who bullied me in high school, ex's and distant relatives, i am going to be a doctor... Dont worry ill remind you again tomorrow with another pseudo-complaint status".

My favorite are the facebook status updates. They say "waah med school is so hard" but they really mean "hey everyone who bullied me in high school, ex's and distant relatives, i am going to be a doctor... Dont worry ill remind you again tomorrow with another pseudo-complaint status".

Who has time for passive-aggressiveness? I track people down just to rub it in!
No shame! :laugh:
I love it when you find them working at a register. My last one was manning the lumberyard at a Home Depot.

I definitely complain too much. Its incredibly annoying, but I do it anyway. :cool:
I'd rather annoy people than succumb to depression and insanity. Its an effective pop-off valve for sheer frustration. Some people drink, smoke, pull their hair out...I run my mouth and have lots of sex. :laugh:

I was the bully in high school....:cool:

What a surprise. :rolleyes:

So, did you wise up and throw your horrible parents to the curb, and take on public servitude as a way to become a better person?
Or are you still trying to impress them?

Last edited:
What a surprise. :rolleyes:

So, did you wise up and throw your horrible parents to the curb, and take on public servitude as a way to become a better person?
Or are you still trying to impress them?

Not quite sure what you mean......and I was just kinda being funny in the post above.

But it's nice to see your psychiatry skills at work......you are also in luck because Psychiatry is the easiest specialty to match into with an average Comlex step 1 of 413 I believe (as of the most recent report).

Hey, don't blame me. You're the one proud of being a bully.
The reasons for being one are pretty well known/established. I think it was a common topic on the Simpsons. Lol

Unless you're a sociopath.

frabz-FALSE-THATS-WHAT-HE-SAID-5e93fa.jpg

:laugh:

Hey, don't blame me. You're the one proud of being a bully.
The reasons for being one are pretty well known/established. I think it was a common topic on the Simpsons. Lol

Unless you're a sociopath.

I do like the Simpsons, and no Nelson is not my favorite character. And no I am not a sociopath.

I just hate the stereotype that just because you are a 4.0 student or in med school that you have to be a lame skinny geek that was picked on. I considered myself a jock in high school who also hung out with the academic group......and while I am a very nice guy who would never intentionally pick on somebody, there is no way in hell I would ever let somebody pick on me either.

Anyways, the comment was a joke and most people saw it, I'm sorry if it brought back unpleasant childhood memories.

Who has time for passive-aggressiveness? I track people down just to rub it in!
No shame! :laugh:
I love it when you find them working at a register. My last one was manning the lumberyard at a Home Depot.

I definitely complain too much. Its incredibly annoying, but I do it anyway. :cool:
I'd rather annoy people than succumb to depression and insanity. Its an effective pop-off valve for sheer frustration. Some people drink, smoke, pull their hair out...I run my mouth and have lots of sex. :laugh:

And after comments like this you gotta wonder who the real sociopath is. Not that I'm upset, I'm actually impressed that you take time out of your day to track people down to mock them.

i-hug-you-y-u-no-hug-back.jpg

Give me my hug, crybaby!

Last edited:
Interns are even worse. I have seen our interns bitch about going home at 5:30PM instead of 4PM. I have also seen them bitch about taking, "too much call" even though they're not allowed to stay overnight.

Back when I was a psych intern, I took overnight call 4 ****ing times a month on psych rotations. I even took call on ****ing medicine wards! Ugh

Back when I was a psych intern, I took overnight call 4 ****ing times a month on psych rotations. I even took call on ****ing medicine wards! Ugh

lol who hasn't heard this one before? "I had it so much worse than you, so you have to go through it too." Kids these days, right?

Classic med school comment.

lol who hasn't heard this one before? "I had it so much worse than you, so you have to go through it too." Kids these days, right?

Classic med school comment.

Yep, spoiled little ****s. I would never wish pre Libby Zion residency on anyone, but there does come a point where your learning suffers because of being babied. Guess what happened when the coddled interns became PGY2?

Tell me something new! Good thing I love my students.

Anyways, rant over.

But med student should learn to choose their battles and learn to start sucking it up sometimes, it's the best way to become a successful doctor. If they don't learn soon to start sucking up the bad things of medicine, guess what? They continue their whine-a-thon in clinicals (ooh mean Mr. Dr. made ME do some scut work! The HORROR! Can't you see I am a walking god and the hospital have staff for this??!!), then continue their whining in the internship, residency and then become the grumpy, unhappy, miserable doctors everyone hates and ends up getting sued only because they were rude to a patient.

I have seen several friends that are like this, they are my friends and I like them for hanging out but the higher ups have a poor image of them stating they are lazy, annoying and don't want to hire them. Higher ups also don't like med students that have a god complex that think they are too godly to do any scut work (ej. they are just lazy and don't want to admit it). Even in med school you are making future job contacts while rotating hospitals, many doctors will remember your face and remember if you had an inert laziness and will not want to hire you. In some fields every doctor knows eachother and just like in that episode of Seinfeld where Elaine can't find a doctor to treat her because her medical records have a bad note in them, word can spread quickly.

Instead of whining about taking blood sample X, you should be infinitely grateful you are honing your blood sample taking technique while you have a higher up supervising you because once you graduate, you are all alone and whatever you didn't learn while you could, you are stuck with it and it's harder to do the scut work the higher up because you know have someone else that does it for you. In many cases nurses ask me to take the really difficult blood and IV lines because they couldn't, they expect you can do it with your eyes closed everytime. Med school is the only time you can do this, you don't want to be that weary intern that runs and hides in a closet when a woman giving normal birth shows up in the ER door.

If you are positive from med school stating the good stuff weighs more than the bad, you will have a very happy career and will go to work with a smile in your face. :D

This is the best comment here. There's a line between coping mechanism for a shared difficult experience and just plain laziness and chronic complaining syndrome, and I'm pretty sure we all know where we sit.

There's a line between coping mechanism for a shared difficult experience and just plain laziness and chronic complaining syndrome, and I'm pretty sure we all know where we sit.

I'm not sure it's all that clear.

The culture in medical education has always been to "suck it up." It should be shocking that only very recently (2003!) have there been mandates that limit the working hours of residents (to EIGHTY hours a week), and that it actually took a top-down action like that on order to make such a common-sense change. For many years, residents were treated not as students, but workhorses that get paid almost nothing and are expected to put in insane hours without complaint. There is good evidence that this practice is very much harmful to student welfare and is a significant risk to the safety of the patients. These conditions were maintained for years by an educational system that answered complaints with that very response: "suck it up, you are lucky to be here." Why didn't those students complain? Wasn't it obvious to them where they sat?

The prevalent culture has a profound effect on what we students are willing to accept as "normal."

Even with the mandate, it is evident that there are still people who think this is the way it should be. Take a look above, where HooahDOc calls me a "spoiled little ****" for suggesting this very thing. There is still a feeling out there that if you don't suffer the way previous generations did, then you are being "babied" and won't learn how to be a competent physician.

Maybe it is the union work experience in me, but I think it is worth remembering that we are here to learn, but that our health and safety should always be our top priority. If that means being the squeaky wheel every now and then, so be it.