Medical assisting as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mahnster13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to gain certification as a medical assistant to work as an MA during college, which would in turn count as clinical experience? Or is the process of become a medical assistant a little too long to be worth giving a shot? I just want to know because I am looking at a few different options for clinical experience right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible to gain certification as a medical assistant to work as an MA during college, which would in turn count as clinical experience? Or is the process of become a medical assistant a little too long to be worth giving a shot? I just want to know because I am looking at a few different options for clinical experience right now.

I could teach you to be an MA in one afternoon. Look for on the job training. MA programs are a rip unless you have no science/medical education at all.

would it be a good thing to do during college though? both as a way to make money and to gain clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
would it be a good thing to do during college though? both as a way to make money and to gain clinical experience?

yes for the experience. We don't make all that much money to start, but better than min wage at the coffee shop.

well I am only a freshman in college right now, do you think I would have enough time to become an ma and get enough experience to talk about to med school adcoms?

I have experience with both medical assisting training and CNA training.

CNA training is much shorter. However, I didn't enjoy my clinical hours and determined working as a CNA wasn't for me.

MA training took muuuuch longer where I went to school. But it's much more enjoyable as a job.

So, if you can find some office to hire you and train you on the job that would be the way to go. So many places want graduates from accredited programs though.

I wouldn't devote a year to MA training at school when you know you are heading towards Med School, and taking your degree classes full time.

i heard that a good route to go would be phlebotomy, especially if you can get a weekend training course in. i guess it opens up a lot of opportunities as far as clinical experience, and i think it sounds pretty good. i can't afford the class this year though, will it hurt if i have to wait another year to start up with it?

i heard that a good route to go would be phlebotomy, especially if you can get a weekend training course in. i guess it opens up a lot of opportunities as far as clinical experience, and i think it sounds pretty good. i can't afford the class this year though, will it hurt if i have to wait another year to start up with it?
Before you sign up for a phlebotomy or CNA class, check with places you would be interested in working. At my hospital, I do the exact same thing as a CNA, but I don't have to be certified; they train me here. I believe that is also how they operate with our phlebotomists. To be a pharmacy tech, you don't have to be certified for a year, and they will pay for your prep materials (from what I hear the test is pretty easy anyway).

Before you sign up for a phlebotomy or CNA class, check with places you would be interested in working. At my hospital, I do the exact same thing as a CNA, but I don't have to be certified; they train me here. I believe that is also how they operate with our phlebotomists. To be a pharmacy tech, you don't have to be certified for a year, and they will pay for your prep materials (from what I hear the test is pretty easy anyway).

Do you know how I would go about checking this? It would be awesome to jump right in and have them train me on the job. Does this route still let me get paid as a phlebotomist or a cna? i am looking for something to replace my dull job at Target

Clinical MA's can get jobs at community clinics where your main tasks would be phlebotomy and injections. Administrative MA's, lol, you can learn that in an afternoon. CNA requires a 3-month-long training and basically you can't do much of anything besides assisting old people with their ADL's. Phlebotomy is definitely the way to go (or EMT, but job prospect is bleak in big cities).

Do you know how I would go about checking this? It would be awesome to jump right in and have them train me on the job. Does this route still let me get paid as a phlebotomist or a cna? i am looking for something to replace my dull job at Target

I would assume that your local hospital would be the best place to inquire. If you can't figure it out from their website, call their HR people and ask if their nurse's aids (some call them patient care technicians, some patient care associates, orderlies, etc) need to have a CNA or if their phlebotomists need to be licensed (or certified? I'm not sure about their terminology). Or ask them about their licensing policy with regards to pharmacy technicians.

As far as I know, most nursing homes require a CNA, but most hospitals don't.

Yes they are paid positions. My job right now is as a patient care technician. They trained me here in a couple weeks. I do exactly the same stuff a CNA would do, but in a hospital.