Medical Club proposal for school - help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheisu

Future Surgeon
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to try to start a medical club at my high school (I'm a sophomore by the way).

I talked to my counselor and she said I needed to write a proposal, and maybe have some school polls about it.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should put in my proposal?

Members don't see this ad.

I co-founded a biology-medical student organization in a community college in the hope of informing the students there about graduate school and possible career options. The first thing we did was actively recruit people (we had to get ~15 signatures of student). Then I drafted the organization's constitution. In the constitution, I wrote about the mission of the club, the various positions of the club (jobs of officers, how to elect officers, how many officers do the organization need, how to impeach officers, etc), and then I wrote about the club's specific goals (planning an event at least once a month, weekly meeting, etc).

After completing the constitution of the club, I submit it to my college's student body. I then had to asked several biology faculty members to be the advisor of the club (this is the hardest part for our club). After the advisors agreed, I then presented my proposal to the student body. The officers of the student body were informed about my club and I had an orientation as a representative of the club. We host our first meeting the next week or so. Election was on our second week.

You can go ahead and use the same "proposal" that I used. Try to get input from your advisors too. Make sure that when you lay out the details of the proposal, stick to your mission. It makes it easier for your proposal to be approved (in my case, at least).

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to be kidding me. There's a Guitar Hero Club at our school, and not a med club? Wow.

well thats how you have to do it in pretty much any college. You should see our SGA constitution i helped write, its huge. Not sure about HS. You probably are asking the wrong people

Talk to your local college's premed advisor. I think the most useful information would be the stuff you don't hear a lot about like what pre-med coursework is like, residency, the long hours, what in state med-schools are there, etc...

Talk to your local college's premed advisor. I think the most useful information would be the stuff you don't hear a lot about like what pre-med coursework is like, residency, the long hours, what in state med-schools are there, etc...
The Op is in HS.

You have to be kidding me. There's a Guitar Hero Club at our school, and not a med club? Wow.

Really though, what is the percentage of kids from any one high school that go to med school? And then how may of those knew in HS that that's what they wanted to do? It's gotta be low. I wouldn't expect much participation.

Guitar Hero on the other hand...

Lol, I think alot of Kids in Hs think "OOO I wanna be a doctor, lots of money, should be easy enough"

The only weird one is you; a Guitar Hero club is a much better idea than a medical club in high school.

Especially since the new controllers are wireless. Gone are the days of being tethered to your gaming system while you rock out

another useless and stupid thread....get a life kid

HIGH SCHOOL??? w/e happened to enjoying your teenage years...geez

Members don't see this ad :)

It really depends what you want to DO in the club. Is this a club for kids interested in medicine in general, or is this a club for kids who want to get into med school. So, for the first, I might think of reading books or articles on medicine ("Complications" by Atul Gawande, "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down" by Ann Fadiman, or "Medical Detectives" by Berton Roueche). Or you could have different students take a topic in medicine or health from the newspaper and do a presentation on it. Alternatively, it could be a sort of study group with info on how to get into med school and what med school (and being a doctor) is like.

I would think about what YOU want out of the club. You're in the great position of being in charge! Think of what you want it to be, and write that in your proposal. I think that's all they want.

Good luck to you!

At my high school, there was a branch of Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA). I think this is a nationally organized club so you could maybe look into organizing a chapter.

It's not necessarily geared towards pre-meds, but anyone with an interest in the health care industry. They have competitions and meets. We organized fund raisers and volunteer events.

We also had a clinical rotation class at my high school where we learned CPR, first aid, and nurse aid skills. It was pretty cool. Luckily, I did it because it ended up being the only clinical exposure in the US that I have had. It was taught by 2 nurses who had worked in the hospital for most of their careers.

Well, I'm going to try to start a medical club at my high school (I'm a sophomore by the way).

I talked to my counselor and she said I needed to write a proposal, and maybe have some school polls about it.

PM me - I can help you out.

It's a nice thought, but I don't think it will be anything productive. I actually know a student when I was in high school who started the pre-med club and he was kind of an idiot. He spent all his time volunteering as an EMT that his grades were far less than stellar. He applied to big name schools and didn't get into any, instead he is going to an overpriced not-so-prestigious private university. And then he had the gull to say "I can't believe I none of these schools wanted me, look at all the stuff I've done." The grades are just important.

My point being, try this but don't get yourself over-committed to some dream so soon. Don't let your grades slip in HS. Besides you may find that you hate the life sciences in college. My friend I went to college with was the valedictorian of our HS class, extremely bright, after that 1st month of gen bio he decided he really didn't want to go into medicine. Give it some time and be really realistic with yourself, become informed about what is expected before you get to college.

Pretty sure the OP is out of high school by now. If not, then he/she is going to be a terrible doctor

lol @ the negative comments. Seems like some SDNers would yell at even a 5-year-old for wanting to become a doctor.

1. Purpose
2. Mission statement: (Activities to Pursue)

Done.

Somebody else please tell me they recognize this thread is from '07