Medical Device Reps vs med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What kind of cash were you bringing down?

Someone here mentioned sales rep beating out spinal surgeons in compensation.

I just don't see that happening.

Most of the reps I know bring in $150-$250 annually. Those on the lower end average less than 30 hours of actual work (what I consider work) and the higher end reps average 40 hours of work or so (all times of the day). I know a rep who runs the region and he gets $500K but has several reps underneath him.

In short, this is an extremely lucrative field where salaries are triple nursing level duties.
In fact, I know who a few former nurses ands techs who are now reps.

That said, Obsmacare may be just around the corner and the future for $250K medical device reps looks bleak.

Neurosurgeons/ortho spine average $900k annually and those working 55 hours a week easily earn $1.5 million.

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the reps I know bring in $150-$250 annually. Those on the lower end average less than 30 hours of actual work (what I consider work) and the higher end reps average 40 hours of work or so (all times of the day). I know a rep who runs the region and he gets $500K but has several reps underneath him.

In short, this is an extremely lucrative field where salaries are triple nursing level duties.
In fact, I know who a few former nurses ands techs who are now reps.

That said, Obsmacare may be just around the corner and the future for $250K medical device reps looks bleak.

Neurosurgeons/ortho spine average $900k annually and those working 55 hours a week easily earn $1.5 million.

Came across this thread and found some of the predictions interesting. I am currently a device rep switching to medicine and have seen a number of these predictions regarding budget cuts and the changing landscape come through. I spend approximately 20 hours in my car and another 40 working each week as a rep and make between 100-150 depending on my quota. People in my same position made 250+ in 2012. The job is AWFUL and the pay will likely continue to decrease.

People who choose a career just because of the paycheck are doomed to be unhappy. "Do what you love and you will not work a day in your life." Wiser words have never been spoken (apparently by Confucius).

To me, switching from medical device sales to medicine is as preposterous as the other way round. Salespeople don't make good doctors (putting yourself first vs putting others first). Go do a masters in healthcare administration instead; you'll be happier.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is full of misinformation. I married a rep and while she made more money than some primary care docs or pediatricians she never made more than your average anesthesiologist. She said there is a rare rep here and there that will make the kind of money mentioned above, but it's kind of like the number of kids that make it to the NBA.

learn some math and become an actuary if it's a decision based on lifestyle, money and time to it. I took care of some beautiful children today and got fulfillment

Reactions: 1 user
... oops, just realized this is a 4 year old thread.

Last edited:
People who choose a career just because of the paycheck are doomed to be unhappy. "Do what you love and you will not work a day in your life." Wiser words have never been spoken (apparently by Confucius).

To me, switching from medical device sales to medicine is as preposterous as the other way round. Salespeople don't make good doctors (putting yourself first vs putting others first). Go do a masters in healthcare administration instead; you'll be happier.

Just my 2 cents.

Seems more preposterous to assume that all salespeople put themselves first and all physicians put others first. Even more preposterous that you're able to claim someone you don't know will be happier in career x vs career y.

Just my 2 cents.

Prove me wrong. Best of luck! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad the orthopedic/spine/pacemaker reps are still earning $150k plus. It seems as though big corporations didn't get hurt much by obamacare. They made sure their way of life would go on until socialized medicine takes over.

Until then, those that like sales can go into this area and make a nice living.

A more recent problem for device reps is that more and more hospitals are going to bulk/single source purchasing. For example, instead of letting every orthopod decide what type of joint implants they want to use, they force all of them to pick 1 type and they all have to use it. Hospitals then negotiate down lower per unit costs.

It lowers the overall cost and drastically cuts back on sales commissions since individual surgeons can no longer be whined and dined to get them to use a particular rep's stuff.

I hate to break this to you, but many device salesmen are making more than the surgeons using the equipment. In fact, most the device reps I know start at 250, and go up from there based on sales. I know quite a few making around 500. They work hard though. They are on the road mon-friday, they show up early for surgery. They are the surgeons beeotches. but they make bank. and its a lot easier than making money in medicine.

Lol

Seems more preposterous to assume that all salespeople put themselves first and all physicians put others first. Even more preposterous that you're able to claim someone you don't know will be happier in career x vs career y.

Just my 2 cents.

Preposterous my ass. Have you seen half of these reps? Many are failed college athletes or big racked bimbos,the occasional half way competent one is still nowhere near up to snuff of a true professional (i.e. Doctor, Engineer).

This thread actually doesn't belong in this forum.

"Up to snuff" as you so eloquently put it is a bit subjective. There are certainly plenty of ex-athletes and big racked bimbos running around in sales positions in all industries. At the same time, those who are as "up to snuff" in their industry as a guy like ER blue blood is will make more in their lifetime than 99% of all docs and have true passion for business and sales much in the same way others have a passion for medicine.

Either way, I'm have trouble discerning the point of your two posts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooooo being a college athlete is an insult now? Only an intern here but kinda helpful having the impella reps around when you need them

I know a recruiter that made $245k last year. Making phone calls...think about what you have to do to make that sort of money. Dude is 33 BTW.

At the same time, those who are as "up to snuff" in their industry as a guy like ER blue blood is will make more in their lifetime than 99% of all docs and have true passion for business and sales much in the same way others have a passion for medicine.

I think you probably don't know what the 99th percentile of physician salaries is, nor the average career length of a physician vs someone in sales.

I think you probably don't know what the 99th percentile of physician salaries is, nor the average career length of a physician vs someone in sales.

I was pointing mostly towards business owners etc, I don't have to know exactly what salary the 99th percentile of physicians is, because I know what CEO's, certain business owners, etc make. Either way that wasn't the point of my post. Just pointing out the fact that there are successful individuals in a multitude of fields inside and outside of medicine. To lump every individual of a given trade into one category is a simple and incorrect way of looking at the world.

stumbled across this. the money is still very much alive in med device. my best friend is mid 20s and is pulling in over six figures. he works in spine. i swear he never "works" though. had i known more about this field, i would've never considered applying for med school. and i don't believe it is a tough industry to crack. after learning of the money he is making, two other friends are now in the industry too... both close to six figures.

stumbled across this. the money is still very much alive in med device. my best friend is mid 20s and is pulling in over six figures. he works in spine. i swear he never "works" though. had i known more about this field, i would've never considered applying for med school. and i don't believe it is a tough industry to crack. after learning of the money he is making, two other friends are now in the industry too... both close to six figures.

That may be the case for now, but I'm fairly certain device and pharmaceutical reps are going to get decimated by where health care is headed in this country.

Ooo money money money money. I went into medicine because what I do matters. It would take more than money to get me out of bed in the morning so I could convince some surgeon that my $250 spine screw is better than the $225 spine screw.

I deal with a lot of device reps in my field and while a few can make typical speciality physician level and above salaries it certainly isn't the majority. Also, like has already been said, there is a lot of variability in the rep job market and I've already known several that have had to switch companies or change careers over a span of just 5 or so years.

The one financial advantage I would give to the reps is that they can be making decent money a lot earlier than a typical physician given our length of training so you'd have to work in that aspect as well. We've all seen the cost analysis scenarios of a physician's life-term earnings vs say a Plumber who can start off earning earlier. Of course I would place the typical rep's job stability as MUCH less than a physician's.

Of course, all this ignores the actual work itself of a rep vs a physician. I just couldn't do it, wouldn't be fulfilling for me.

Ultimately if I were in college again, would probably tell my younger self to go to a good business school and get an MBA. Have high school friends that graduated same year as me, got their MBA and already in executive level positions. Again, I'd probably bore myself to death with a typical business type job but it just depends what you'd like to do.

Ooo money money money money. I went into medicine because what I do matters. It would take more than money to get me out of bed in the morning so I could convince some surgeon that my $250 spine screw is better than the $225 spine screw.

believe me, i never considered myself a money-oriented person. that is until i realized i'll be facing a 300k debt burden once i become a newly minted MD

A couple caveats, though. For fresh grads who don't have 20 years experience, the job is probably harder to get and maintain if you're an uggo (guy or girl), and unless you're in a metro area you're probably traveling your ass off to hit regional hospitals in more sparsely populated areas.

A couple caveats, though. For fresh grads who don't have 20 years experience, the job is probably harder to get and maintain if you're an uggo (guy or girl), and unless you're in a metro area you're probably traveling your ass off to hit regional hospitals in more sparsely populated areas.

If I'm honest with myself, I actually chose medicine because I'm an uggo.

Reactions: 2 users
We live in Florida.

We know a few drug reps. All women. All attractive. They all fit the "profile".

Anyways. One over at our house this afternoon. Kids same ages. Pool stuff....Sunday family friends stuff.

Just got to talking. Lots of demands on the job. She's responsible for one of the newer cardiac drugs. Her base is $90k. But her 6 month bonus was a whopping $65k.

But there is a lot of pressure. They want her to double her quota next 6 months.

One of ortho medical device reps is losing a lot of business since ortho docs main business driver is splitting up. So he's losing half of his business.

So it's hit or miss. Not a bad career. But always need to be on top of things

You know if you actually believe the sales rep gig is better than anesthesiology, you can successfully switch in less than 2 years. I haven't seen a lot of those switches.

You know if you actually believe the sales rep gig is better than anesthesiology, you can successfully switch in less than 2 years. I haven't seen a lot of those switches.

It's not the switch. Too much invested once u go through med school and residency.

We are talking age 21 and making that decision whether to apply to med school or going the drug rep route.

You are talking opportunity costs lost while in med school and residency.

I just turned 42. My brother is 43. He's been a pharmacist since age 23. He had literally a 7 year jump start on me with pharmacy. And financially with school loans and opportunity costs.

He's still a little ahead of me (financially) and he got married younger with 3 kids and I started later so my child care costs are adding up while his are going down.

I may "catch" up to him by the time I am 50.

And I am very financially stable (no debt, no auto loans, kids college already paid for). Manageable mortgage with house half paid off.

Our former next door neighbor is also a drug rep for Pfizer. We still live in the same community. They are well off as well. Her husband is just a govt county employee making 40-50k a year and she makes around $120k. But it's the "head start" with opportunity costs.

The opportunity costs are much higher than people think. It's not just a loss of income plus tuition plus interest, it's all of that plus growth of S&P 500 during the same time.

The opportunity costs are much higher than people think. It's not just a loss of income plus tuition plus interest, it's all of that plus growth of S&P 500 during the same time.

the growth of the S&P 500 is only important for the portion of their income that they have invested towards retirement in equities. For most people earning $100K per year, that isn't very much, especially in their 20s.

the growth of the S&P 500 is only important for the portion of their income that they have invested towards retirement in equities. For most people earning $100K per year, that isn't very much, especially in their 20s.

There is more...company stock options etc.

Real estate gains.

Some of it luck. Some of it hard earned.

Whatever the case. My non MD brother who's one year older than me has amassed a pretty sizable fortune as a pharmacist cause of the head start/opportunity costs/luck.

There is more...company stock options etc.

Real estate gains.

Some of it luck. Some of it hard earned.

Well sure but drug/device reps aren't getting stock options unless they have a very low salary and work for a tiny company.

If you're making 100k per year in your 20s and not maxing out your 401k, you're financially very, very stupid.

If you're making 100k per year in your 20s and not maxing out your 401k, you're financially very, very stupid.
Many young professionals in their mid 20s drop $100-200 a weekend on bars/clubs. Many aren't maxing out their 401k $18k pretax.

Most will just "max" out whatever the company match (3%?-5%).

I can scarcely believe a forum with so much angst over job security for anesthesiologists is talking about how neat it would be to be a drug or device rep, because opportunity cost and early start.

Market forces beyond your control, sales quotas and benchmarks, drug/device demand that can evaporate in an instant as the field evolves, a client base with a moral if not legal requirement to show no loyalty, geographic anchoring to that client base, a need to be pretty and stay pretty ... ****, what's not to love?

Reactions: 2 users
Many young professionals in their mid 20s drop $100-200 a weekend on bars/clubs. Many aren't maxing out their 401k $18k pretax.

Most will just "max" out whatever the company match (3%?-5%).
Eh, some people are stupid I guess. Financial literacy is quite poor in this country, so a majority of people do burn their money, but that doesn't make it any less stupid. If you max out your 401k from 25-35, then drop down to a 5% contribution (assuming 100k income that adjusts for inflation), you still end up ahead of someone maxing out your 401k for the rest of their life starting at 35 (not accounting for catchup contributions). Such a waste.

I can scarcely believe a forum with so much angst over job security for anesthesiologists is talking about how neat it would be to be a drug or device rep, because opportunity cost and early start.

Market forces beyond your control, sales quotas and benchmarks, drug/device demand that can evaporate in an instant as the field evolves, a client base with a moral if not legal requirement to show no loyalty, geographic anchoring to that client base, a need to be pretty and stay pretty ... ****, what's not to love?
They are just crying over their lost (to medicine) youth. ;)

Before I entered health care, I did sales. Probably could have done it forever, I was damn good. But the uncertainty of bonuses, the constant fight to keep your product moving, and the ever higher expectations of management were soul sucking. I left work each day feeling like my hours were meaningless, and went in each day hoping I could keep up with yesterday's numbers. It was a rat race like no other, and very few people are cut out for doing it long term. Ask yourself, how many sales reps do you know in their 50s and 60s? Hell, I rarely ran into many that were even into their 40s. The uncertainty of sales wears on most people over time, and not many can hack it in the long term.

have you not met Americans? Many in their 20s save nothing (or next to nothing). Very few are maxing out their 401K. So in your opinion, most are financially very, very stupid.

Before I entered health care, I did sales. Probably could have done it forever, I was damn good. But the uncertainty of bonuses, the constant fight to keep your product moving, and the ever higher expectations of management were soul sucking. I left work each day feeling like my hours were meaningless, and went in each day hoping I could keep up with yesterday's numbers. It was a rat race like no other, and very few people are cut out for doing it long term. Ask yourself, how many sales reps do you know in their 50s and 60s? Hell, I rarely ran into many that were even into their 40s. The uncertainty of sales wears on most people over time, and not many can hack it in the long term.

I agree. There is a lot of pressure on medical sales. It's a young person's job and many start phasing out by the late 40s.

I hardly see many true medical sales reps (at least in the OR) in their 50s. Most are in their late 20s and 30s and early 40s

have you not met Americans? Many in their 20s save nothing (or next to nothing). Very few are maxing out their 401K. So in your opinion, most are financially very, very stupid.
They are, and not only in their 20s, no offense. ;)

Otherwise, we wouldn't see all this consumerist economic behavior, especially from people who can't afford it.

Hi guys and gals,
I see this is an active old thread and an interesting topic. I came here for some advice. I am 31 years old. I almost have a bachelors...have an associates in science...could get a bachelor's within the year. However, as I kept debating between OT, HIM ( Health Information. ), and nurse practitioner. I know Ot ( Occupational therapy ). would be rewarding seeing patients and how they do long term. Let me fast fwd....I am looking into N.P school nurse practitioner. However first you have to become a nurse. It would take this year to finish reqs...plus knock out every single science within the r.n program ...so it would just he nursing courses. However nursing school would be 2 years, so that's 1 year now plus 2 rn...totalling 3 years. Plus give a month or two for the boards. Then Np schools are getting faster in length. About an average of 20 months. So lets say 5 years total or 5 1/2. There is so much debate about entry salary for np ( in my case family np and psych )...I have hear 8ok to start to my former professor( who was an endocrinologist )I took Ap1 and 2 the same semester and was the only non nursing major in thst profs class. They combined Ap1 and Ap12 in one class...one semester. Two labs a week. My former prof said 125k he seen for starting N.P. Idk if this is true.
Not to make this long...but I have had my doubts...am I too old. Is this the right road? The thing is I thought about medical sales as per the topic, salaries of N.P. However I like A&P to the point I am taking an advance physiology course at the Junior level. I am horrid at chemistry. A&P easy bc I like it. I like learning new things of the human body. When I see athletes with a fwd deposition and can tell they lack thoracic extension bc the they have to much internal rotation of the head of the humerous...I can just feel someone's back and know. If some on has a C5, you know that their hands can be effected, unless R. Syndrome...and if paralyzed all the nerves that go to each vertebrae below that injury, those systems effected. I remember walking out no class and nurse students would pick my brain on T and B cells. Idk what it is I like A&P. Never thought that heading into the classes. However I have no kids, I am not married, and 5 years maybe 6 seem so long...for my chances to have one. I also had people say I do not think like a nurse by the way I talk and analyze and want to know a reason behind everything. Between thinking I am to old for NP, to salary, to my situation. I just wanted to gather your huys thoughts.
I should also add I was into weight training...6 days a week, 5 meals a day....and was a top H.S athlete for baseball...was in the paper and announced a minor league field. Many asked if I wanted to play for a semi pro football team and walk on to possibly get a scholarship for athletics. However I got hit by an opponent I never seen coming. I was doing an exercise called a preacher curl..of all exercises. A one arm dumbbell....and the weight fell from my hands. I was literally a man child and I modeled. This was rare for me to lose strength. ..and all of a sudden I knew something was wrong. I ended up w an ileostomy. It is reversible...have had it for 11 years now. So that sucked lol. However I was an to go back into the gym and went from 129lbs to 207 in 3 years. I stopped training for awhile so now 180. But thought I'd give a brief bistory. So I do love business as a caveat. Just wanted your guys thoughts on NP...salary, my age, and medical sales. I know I could do stormy supplies lol. In all seriousness...thoughts on those. I am taking microbiology now. So I got to stop writing. Grades got all A and B.s. I medical term, Ap, physics etc. Chemistry and micro seem to be a week point thus far.
Advice Much appreciated.

Hi guys and gals,
I see this is an active old thread and an interesting topic. I came here for some advice. I am 31 years old. I almost have a bachelors...have an associates in science...could get a bachelor's within the year. However, as I kept debating between OT, HIM ( Health Information. ), and nurse practitioner. I know Ot ( Occupational therapy ). would be rewarding seeing patients and how they do long term. Let me fast fwd....I am looking into N.P school nurse practitioner. However first you have to become a nurse. It would take this year to finish reqs...plus knock out every single science within the r.n program ...so it would just he nursing courses. However nursing school would be 2 years, so that's 1 year now plus 2 rn...totalling 3 years. Plus give a month or two for the boards. Then Np schools are getting faster in length. About an average of 20 months. So lets say 5 years total or 5 1/2. There is so much debate about entry salary for np ( in my case family np and psych )...I have hear 8ok to start to my former professor( who was an endocrinologist )I took Ap1 and 2 the same semester and was the only non nursing major in thst profs class. They combined Ap1 and Ap12 in one class...one semester. Two labs a week. My former prof said 125k he seen for starting N.P. Idk if this is true.
Not to make this long...but I have had my doubts...am I too old. Is this the right road? The thing is I thought about medical sales as per the topic, salaries of N.P. However I like A&P to the point I am taking an advance physiology course at the Junior level. I am horrid at chemistry. A&P easy bc I like it. I like learning new things of the human body. When I see athletes with a fwd deposition and can tell they lack thoracic extension bc the they have to much internal rotation of the head of the humerous...I can just feel someone's back and know. If some on has a C5, you know that their hands can be effected, unless R. Syndrome...and if paralyzed all the nerves that go to each vertebrae below that injury, those systems effected. I remember walking out no class and nurse students would pick my brain on T and B cells. Idk what it is I like A&P. Never thought that heading into the classes. However I have no kids, I am not married, and 5 years maybe 6 seem so long...for my chances to have one. I also had people say I do not think like a nurse by the way I talk and analyze and want to know a reason behind everything. Between thinking I am to old for NP, to salary, to my situation. I just wanted to gather your huys thoughts.
I should also add I was into weight training...6 days a week, 5 meals a day....and was a top H.S athlete for baseball...was in the paper and announced a minor league field. Many asked if I wanted to play for a semi pro football team and walk on to possibly get a scholarship for athletics. However I got hit by an opponent I never seen coming. I was doing an exercise called a preacher curl..of all exercises. A one arm dumbbell....and the weight fell from my hands. I was literally a man child and I modeled. This was rare for me to lose strength. ..and all of a sudden I knew something was wrong. I ended up w an ileostomy. It is reversible...have had it for 11 years now. So that sucked lol. However I was an to go back into the gym and went from 129lbs to 207 in 3 years. I stopped training for awhile so now 180. But thought I'd give a brief bistory. So I do love business as a caveat. Just wanted your guys thoughts on NP...salary, my age, and medical sales. I know I could do stormy supplies lol. In all seriousness...thoughts on those. I am taking microbiology now. So I got to stop writing. Grades got all A and B.s. I medical term, Ap, physics etc. Chemistry and micro seem to be a week point thus far.
Advice Much appreciated.

Sir, this is a mcdonalds's drive-thru

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
94035a4d90aa15f9856b7de824c5392d_crop_north.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I wish I could unread that.

Hi guys and gals,
Advice Much appreciated.
Chiropractic for the win!!

Hi guys and gals,
Advice Much appreciated.

I predict you will do just fine in nursing pre reqs and classes, you will likely graduate at the top of your class.