Medical field that allows for longest vacation time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nraesmith

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know an FP that's taking the whole summer off this year. It's going to affect her pay but she's able to do it.

I was thinking about this the other day. I live just outside of Philly and I hope to stay in this area. I wonder how feasible it would be for a physician that works a shift position (so long hours but only 2-4 days a week) to rent a shore house in Jersey for a month and commute to their hospital on work days. All time off is spent at the beach with family.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a non-invasive cardiologist that has taken at least 2-3 months off last year. She has been just about everywhere traveling (Galapagos Islands, Europe, Canada, etc just last year). Probably not the norm but I am envious of her lifestyle.

I've been seeing a lot of openings for hospitalists with a certain amount of weeks on and then the same amount off. So you could technically work continuously for a month and then take the next off. Although I believe those are 12 hour shifts.

At my school there's an FP that spends 2 months abroad a year doing medical mission trips. He said it definitely impacts his pay, but he enjoys it. As others have said, you can probably make it work in a lot of fields, you will just have some consequences.