medical gpa requirement.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vcualumni18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
are you URM? what is your state of residence? you should list some of your ECs and the hours associated with them for people to give you advice

are you URM? what is your state of residence? you should list some of your ECs and the hours associated with them for people to give you advice
what is URM? my state of residance is virginia

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I have a 3.1 GPA and im graduating from college this semester and my MCAT score in first try was 510. I was wondering does anyone know if i stand a chance of entering med school? if so which ones
Those aren't great stats. You'd be wise to consider a post-bacc to improve your GPA. Your MCAT is OK but not great; starting from that GPA, you may also consider retaking it.

also i have no criminal charges
That's not a positive. It's an expectation.

Reactions: 1 users
Those aren't great stats. You'd be wise to consider a post-bacc to improve your GPA. Your MCAT is OK but not great; starting from that GPA, you may also consider retaking it.

That's not a positive. It's an expectation.
So i dont really stand a chance to enter med school? Not even carribeans?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 9.01.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 9.01.54 PM.png
    296.3 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: 1 user
So i dont really stand a chance to enter med school? Not even carribeans?
Assuming everything else about your application is good, you should be decently competitive for DO in my estimation.

Reactions: 1 user
So i dont really stand a chance to enter med school?
I didn't say that.

Not even carribeans?
If you want the best chance of having a successful medical career, you should exhaust stateside MD/DO options before even considering that route. An improved set of application stats would make things much easier for you.

And as others have said, to actually offer meaningful advice, we need additional info.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Hello, I have a 3.1 GPA and im graduating from college this semester and my MCAT score in first try was 510. I was wondering does anyone know if i stand a chance of entering med school? if so which ones
also i have no criminal charges and have a lot of volunteer hours.
Could smeone please help me out and tell me. Idk anyone who has gotten into med school so idk if i have any chance of getting into med school or not
Unless you had a massive rising GPA trend (like 4.0's for the last two years), then you're chances are lethal at MD schools, and OK for DO schools, but you'd be DOA at my school and a number of others. Chances best with the newest DO schools. I can't recommend LUCOM.

IF you're boning for the MD, then do a DIY -post-bac or SMP.

Don't even think about Carib schools unless you like the idea of being an Uber driver with an MD and lots of debt. Do a search of these fora as to why I say this.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean I have gotten two DO acceptances and waiting on a possible MD acceptance (fingers crossed) with an average MCAT(500). My sGPA was 3.5 and cGPA was 3.6. I have a lot of ECs and very good letters of recommendation. If you don't have a great GPA you need to have something to "sell". I would recommend gap years working in clinical settings if you don't do a post-bac. Just my two cents