Medical Indemnity/Malpractice for UK Elective? MPS and MDU withdraw coverage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kct18

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I posted this in another forum, but am hoping someone here may have advice!

I'm an Irish citizen and I study medicine outside the UK and Ireland, but within the EU. I'm married to a British citizen and my permanent home address is in th UK.

I have a few electives lined up for my final year in the U.K. However, MPS and MDU are no longer covering students who don't study within the Uk or Ireland regardless of citizenship and residence status. I've called the BMA, GMC, Royal College of Surgeons, MPS, MDU, MDDU, various private insurers and medical underwriters and none will cover medical students even for a fee! The teaching hospitals used to be able to enroll you as a student as a work around if the insurance was being difficult but MDU have now stated their medical underwriters will not do that! My medical school's insurance does not cover us in the U.K. or Ireland due to the high amount of cover needed. MPS also won't allow it at all.

I want to work in the U.K. after graduation and am worried without more experience there this will become difficult.

Has anyone found a company that will insure students even if there's a cost??? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi kct18

I understand your troubles! Coming at it from a different angle, I organise medical student exchanges in the UK for the IFMSA and am finding it near impossible to find affordable malpractice insurance for the incoming students for the exact reasons you gave. However, if you're not bothered about price, there is one company so far that seems to provide the kind of cover you are looking for - Academic Group. AMPI Student Application Form
I had some students from Ghana successfully apply through it last year although I think it cost them about £300 for 4 weeks of placement...

If you find anything cheaper let me know, but hopefully that link will work for you if you can't find anything else.

:)

Hi kct18

I understand your troubles! Coming at it from a different angle, I organise medical student exchanges in the UK for the IFMSA and am finding it near impossible to find affordable malpractice insurance for the incoming students for the exact reasons you gave. However, if you're not bothered about price, there is one company so far that seems to provide the kind of cover you are looking for - Academic Group. AMPI Student Application Form
I had some students from Ghana successfully apply through it last year although I think it cost them about £300 for 4 weeks of placement...

If you find anything cheaper let me know, but hopefully that link will work for you if you can't find anything else.

:)
Could you please provide a list of medical schools in the UK that accept the mentioned insurance provider?

Hi,

I posted this last year and used AMPI. Now they have suspended the service for students studying abroad and taking out insurance for electives. Have MPS or MDU reversed their policy? Can I get insurance from them again? I’m supposed to start in 10 days in the UK and did my insurance application months ago and it just didn’t come through and didn’t come through and now I was told this...I’m really in a bind...