Medical Internships for High Schoolers

manders837

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior in high school, and I am looking for some sort of medical-related internship that I can do during the summer. Paid or unpaid is fine. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Not likely to happen. You're too young and you're applying too late anyway.

Just shadow this summer would be my advice. If you need money, just get a regular job and shadow if you find time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! So should i just call a nearby hospital and ask if I can shadow there?​

Yeah, that works. Also, try maybe an old doctor or your parents doctor. If you know any doctors, give them a call too.

I am a junior in high school, and I am looking for some sort of medical-related internship that I can do during the summer. Paid or unpaid is fine. Any ideas?

Medical schools don't really consider the internships you have done in high school. It is also very rare for a high school student to get an internship.

I would suggest you to spend some time to volunteer in a hospital. :)

Quite a few in San Francisco though you have to be a resident....

You might want to check out: http://www.nylf.org/med/index.cfm

Its not paid, but its a summer medicine program. My friend did it as a junior in HS. I'm not sure if the dates have passed, etc.

You have to be nominated by your science teacher for this program. Also, it cost about 2,300 dollars for only seven days (well 5 days really):thumbdown:. Sessions consist mostly of ethics and hospital/med school visits.

I know because I was nominated and paid the entry fee but, withdrew.

Thanks for the suggestion! I was accepted to a similar 3-week program at Brown back in February. It looked like a great program, but my parents decided it wasn't worth the $5000, so now I am looking for a Plan B.

Cool! The three week program at Brown sounded awesome, but I didn't have enough time in my summer, so I signed up for one of the 1-week ones.

Honestly, to check out other programs, I trawled the internet for 5 hours, googling all sorts of combinations of "summer" "high school" "medicine" anything else I could think of. I found this database of hundreds of programs, some of which were out of date and only a small portion of them were medicine related, but if I find it again, I'll post a link here. Generally speaking, I would suggest starting with organizations, hospitals, universities, etc that are close to you. That way you can get a longer term job.

My internship this summer is at a lab at the university/hospital nearby. I found out about the high school volunteering opportunity because the woman who runs the lab has kids who go to my school.