Medical Licensure in UK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always contemplating living in the UK but I still haven't even had the chance to visit (something comes up every time I've tried), so this is very much a hypothetical question.

What exactly would be needed for an American MD to have the ability to practice in the UK? I'm completely unfamiliar with the process outside of the US and some quick googling showed me what I expected: I'd need to at least take a licensing exam. What I really want to know is how feasible is it for American physicians to do that? Is it straight forward or does it involve a lot of jumping through hoops?

I just had a brief idea of whether it'd be smart to take the exam near the time when a student is studying for USMLE here in the US. If someone were to pass this exam, how long with the license last before it would need to be renewed? [I'd probably want to pay off a significan portion of my loans in the US if that were to happen.]

And honestly, a main reason that I'm thinking of this right this second is because of the craziness of what's going on in politics right now. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I've always contemplating living in the UK but I still haven't even had the chance to visit (something comes up every time I've tried), so this is very much a hypothetical question.

What exactly would be needed for an American MD to have the ability to practice in the UK? I'm completely unfamiliar with the process outside of the US and some quick googling showed me what I expected: I'd need to at least take a licensing exam. What I really want to know is how feasible is it for American physicians to do that? Is it straight forward or does it involve a lot of jumping through hoops?

I just had a brief idea of whether it'd be smart to take the exam near the time when a student is studying for USMLE here in the US. If someone were to pass this exam, how long with the license last before it would need to be renewed? [I'd probably want to pay off a significan portion of my loans in the US if that were to happen.]

And honestly, a main reason that I'm thinking of this right this second is because of the craziness of what's going on in politics right now. :rolleyes:

As someone who went to med school outside of the EU and has a passport from outside of the EU you essentially couldn't train here in anything other than general practice. Once you are a board certified attending you could get licensed here in most specialties, it would involve a lot of paperwork but that's it I think. There are essentially no consultant jobs though in a lot of specialties so you have to wait for someone to retire or die and then they wouldn't take you over a UK trained consultant anyway. Sorry.