Medical LOA in Podiatry School

Started by Jenny1996
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jenny1996

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone who has taken a medical LOA in pod school let me know what the ramifications are? Will I struggle to match since many students who do well, still may not get a residency? I’m so tired of hearing this and feel discouraged about the negativity in general.
 
Where did you hear that many students who do well may not get a residency? Have ya looked this years and past years match list?

I did not take a LOA but know of people who have had personal issues to deal with and took a LOA. That said, the only downside is that you will be graduating with your current class but in the next years class. If you keep the GPA up as high as possible once you come back from the LOA, and do everything else you need to in order to graduate, you should be able to match.

Also, read your students handbook and talk to admins..don't listen to rumors from people who may not know wth they are talking about.
 
Last edited:
Where did you hear that many students who do well may not get a residency? Have ya looked this years and past years match list?

I did not take a LOA but know of people who have had personal issues to deal with and took a LOA. That said, the only downside is that you will be graduating with your current class but in the next years class. If you keep the GPA up as high as possible once you come back from the LOA, and do everything else you need to in order to graduate, you should be able to match.

Also, read your students handbook and talk to admins..don't listen to rumors from people who may not wth they are talking about.
I spoke with our residency placement director who told me roughly 1/4 of students take a LOA and still get a residency. She even went through the numbers and provided me with GPAs of those who matched to ease my anxiety. I want to believe her, but like you said there is a lot of negativity online making me doubt what I know. I guess I need to get off the internet and just keep pushing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where exactly are you getting this information?

You have a residency director and current students telling you factual information.

Go clear your head.
Just for clarification, residency placement director does not equal residency director. I believe the OP talked to their residency placement director, which is likely a non-pod administrator at one of the schools.