Medical Marijuana Card and Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prako

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!!! How are you all doing? I had a quick question I currently suffer from very bad migraines to the point where normal painkillers do not help the pain anymore. I would have to take some narcotic painkiller to relieve any tension and after I take it I'm usually out for the entire day with a dizzy head unable to carry out my duties. I am currently a 2nd year medical student and the only thing that seems to help me is Marijuana high in CBD (low in THC) therefore it doesn't make you "high." I was wondering what you guys think if I apply and get a medical marijuana card will that decision affect me later on in applying for residency positions? Your feedback will help so much! Thank you all and have a great day!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!!! How are you all doing? I had a quick question I currently suffer from very bad migraines to the point where normal painkillers do not help the pain anymore. I would have to take some narcotic painkiller to relieve any tension and after I take it I'm usually out for the entire day with a dizzy head unable to carry out my duties. I am currently a 2nd year medical student and the only thing that seems to help me is Marijuana high in CBD (low in THC) therefore it doesn't make you "high." I was wondering what you guys think if I apply and get a medical marijuana card will that decision affect me later on in applying for residency positions? Your feedback will help so much! Thank you all and have a great day!

Have you been to a neurologist specializing in migraines and tried all treatments? Without giving you medical advice, there are medications to reduce or stop an impending migraine. Also there are medications to reduce the number of migraines you have. Again, this needs to be discussed with a neurologist to see if it's appropriate for you.

Bottom line...regardless what the states say....Marijuana is a schedule 1 substance according to the federal government. This means there is no medical purpose for it and it is illegal.

This can cause big licensing problems if you are ever arrested and hospitals/med schools can kick you out for testing positive for it.

Yes I have been to many neurologists and even to research clinics such as the Mayo clinic all their medicine prescribed and techniques do not work. Some of the medication even makes me extremely nauseous. I have been battling with this problem since I was 16 and I am currently 25 :( My friend introduced me to the marijuana high in CBD about a year ago and within the first few minutes of trying it the effects were amazing no pain and I could carry on my everyday duties. I know they do testing and if found tested positive it can be a very serious problems. This makes me so sad and even brings me to tears as I write this! I do not smoke marijuana have no interest in it but after I have been trying this CBD strain to help with my migraines it works so well it leaves me dumbfounded and my parents are the extremely strict type with me growing up. For them to give me their blessing after seeing the effects on me is an indescribable feeling. I guess the ignorance on the medical effects of cannabis will leave me no choice but to return to the pharmaceutical drugs and back to bad days. What you said is absolutely right and that's exactly why I am afraid to continue use. I have been using it for about 8 months now and I promise you the effects I see is unbelievable. It truly is a shame.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I have been to many neurologists and even to research clinics such as the Mayo clinic all their medicine prescribed and techniques do not work. Some of the medication even makes me extremely nauseous. I have been battling with this problem since I was 16 and I am currently 25 :( My friend introduced me to the marijuana high in CBD about a year ago and within the first few minutes of trying it the effects were amazing no pain and I could carry on my everyday duties. I know they do testing and if found tested positive it can be a very serious problems. This makes me so sad and even brings me to tears as I write this! I do not smoke marijuana have no interest in it but after I have been trying this CBD strain to help with my migraines it works so well it leaves me dumbfounded and my parents are the extremely strict type with me growing up. For them to give me their blessing after seeing the effects on me is an indescribable feeling. I guess the ignorance on the medical effects of cannabis will leave me no choice but to return to the pharmaceutical drugs and back to bad days. What you said is absolutely right and that's exactly why I am afraid to continue use. I have been using it for about 8 months now and I promise you the effects I see is unbelievable. It truly is a shame.
Maybe go into a non-surgical field