Medical/Rehab Director of SNF/Neurorestorative

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Momentum70

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found the thread that talks about working at SNFs and rounding and directing therapies but felt this was a little different. I was recently approached by a neurorestorative rehab center. Currently I do all IPR and have sent a few of my younger patients there for anywhere from 4-16 weeks additional therapy after they get out of acute. Its a max 16 patient center and looking for a new director. I'm told its a once a week 1-2 hours gig where I just review charts with therapists and sign off on plans, similar to team conference I already do weekly at IPR only without the rounding. I would not be rounding/writing daily notes as some colleagues I know that actually go 2-3 times a week to SNFs.

My questions are has anyone done anything like this, what type of questions should I ask before considering it, is this really just a small time commitment or am I gonna get sucked into a lot more, any pitfalls or things I should worry about and of course what type of pay should I expect?

Appreciate any advice

Members don't see this ad.

Do you just get a directorship fee? Can it just be done remotely? If you are signing off on charts/plans are you willing to take the responsibility for the patients if a lawsuit comes into the picture. I would never be comfortable signing off blindly. Either they let me see the patients for initial eval and maybe once a week after or they find someone else.

I found the thread that talks about working at SNFs and rounding and directing therapies but felt this was a little different. I was recently approached by a neurorestorative rehab center. Currently I do all IPR and have sent a few of my younger patients there for anywhere from 4-16 weeks additional therapy after they get out of acute. Its a max 16 patient center and looking for a new director. I'm told its a once a week 1-2 hours gig where I just review charts with therapists and sign off on plans, similar to team conference I already do weekly at IPR only without the rounding. I would not be rounding/writing daily notes as some colleagues I know that actually go 2-3 times a week to SNFs.

My questions are has anyone done anything like this, what type of questions should I ask before considering it, is this really just a small time commitment or am I gonna get sucked into a lot more, any pitfalls or things I should worry about and of course what type of pay should I expect?

Appreciate any advice
Based on info provided, this sounds like a SNF by another name. Medically, you can easily handle it (easier than IPR). The competence of staff, how calls/acute issues are handled and the business/legal side of things are where the real questions lie.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you just get a directorship fee? Can it just be done remotely? If you are signing off on charts/plans are you willing to take the responsibility for the patients if a lawsuit comes into the picture. I would never be comfortable signing off blindly. Either they let me see the patients for initial eval and maybe once a week after or they find someone else.
Found out a little more and have a longer meeting with them end of month. So I would go in weekly and meet/exam new patients. Then sit down and do a team conference going over rehab plans like in IPR. It will be a director fee and not billing for individual patients. Ill have to find out about malpractice and lawsuits when i meet them. It does sound a little like SNF by another name as cowboydoc suggested, however they dont have to have any medical need to be here. No IV antibiotics or things such as that they tell me and patients still see their primary docs/neurologists etc. Will update here after I meet to find out if just pulling wool over eyes, and its a SNF in disguise

So you meet/do an exam on the patient and are not able to document and bill. That does not make any sense. I am never going to blindly sign any therapy notes without a billable visit (Patient-physician relationship). Not sure why they would object to that. You will have to discuss with your malpractice if they will cover this. Are the patients actually staying in the facility or coming in every day. If they are not staying at the facility this sounds like day rehab. If they are staying this is respite care or SNF with better branding.

Reactions: 1 user