You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Medical School: 24 MCAT and "B" Average
Started by bertbacharat
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
DRIN
How do those premedical Post-bac and Masters programs work where students who are accepted can maintain a "B" average and score a 24 on the MCAT, then be accepted into medical school?
I've have met and talked to several people in these types of programs, but don't understand how they work? I mean it seems those stats are too low for medical school. Are these the stats to apply to the programs? Then you have to increase your score to apply to medical school?
You have a 3.0/24? Are you opposed to D.O. schools?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You have a 3.0/24? Are you opposed to D.O. schools?
ooh you might get some people mad... and it looks like the OP is at NYU med.
11
Last edited:
Here is the deal: I teach a class for Kaplan and I have many students from SUNY upstate come through my class telling me they are going to be going to get there MD there if they get greater than a 24 on the MCAT and maintain a "B" average.
😱 That makes me scared to get treated by someone from Upstate.
Currently I go to NYU school of medicine so this is not for me.
Here is the deal: I teach a class for Kaplan and I have many students from SUNY upstate come through my class telling me they are going to be going to get an MD there if they get greater than a 24 on the MCAT and maintain a "B" average. Am I missing something? I have had too many people tell me this so somethings up. Anyways apparently these programs even have scholarships.
The above is exactly how the program is described by 4-5 different students in different classes.
Little off-topic, but I gotta ask; you work and attend Medical School? I always heard that's impossible, apparently you found a balance.. how do you do it?
you know that they still have to pass **** loads of board exams right?
10
Last edited:
drexel dpms program has low cutoffs also. but if the medical school thinks they can pass those students, then hey
I am not saying anyone is not qualified with those scores. Maybe you need stellar SAT scores?
I might have to get more info in my next class.
im a mcat teacher too. i think the deal is that if you pay for a 1-2 year post-bac program (50-100k), then they are like whatever
9
Last edited:
It could be possible that they are in a BS/MD program that they were accepted into directly out of high school. They have program requirements which sound almost exactly like the stats you describe, a 3.0/24.
I tried googling to see if I could find a program at Upstate with those requirements, but haven't found anything.
I know SUNY Upstate has an early assurance program and several BS/MD programs, but to my knowledge they do not require the MCAT.
I know SUNY Upstate has an early assurance program and several BS/MD programs, but to my knowledge they do not require the MCAT.
DPMS Program said:The Drexel Pathway to Medical School (DPMS) program is an Early Assurance program with Drexel University College of Medicine. The DPMS program gives the social or economically disadvantaged applicant a unique opportunity to prove his or her ability to succeed in a medical school program by taking a rigorous program of courses in a medical school environment. Students accepted into the DPMS program are given a provisional acceptance to enter the College of Medicine following successful completion of this one-year program.
A maximum of 25 students are accepted into the program each year. This allows for small group instruction during the summer enrichment portion of the program and individual counseling with an administrative advocate throughout the program. DPMS students take medical school courses along with 140 Interdepartmental Medical Science (IMS) program students and graduate level courses with 60+ Medical Science Preparatory (MSP) program students. Because the medical students are located at the Queen Lane Campus and the DPMS program students are houses at the Health Sciences Campus in Center City, the medical school lectures are simulcast into the Center City campus lecture halls from the Queen Lane campus.
Admissions
Applicants to the program are required to have completed one year of biology, chemistry, organic chemistry and physics, (each with laboratory), and one year of English literature and behavioral sciences (psychology, sociology and philosophy) courses. In addition, a 2.90 undergraduate math/science and overall GPA as well as a minimum MCAT score of 20 with no section below a 6 is also required. Applicants accepted into the DPMS program who have minimum MCAT scores below a 7 Verbal Reasoning, 8 Biological Science and 8 Physical Science enter Track 1 of the DPMS program where they are required to prepare to retake the MCAT. Applicants accepted into the DPMS program already having achieved a minimum 7 Verbal Reasoning, 8 Biological Science and 8 Physical Science enter Track 2 of the DPMS program.
Curriculum
Summer Semester
The program begins with a mandatory six-week academic enrichment session beginning the third week of June and ending in August. Students enroll in the one-credit Medical Science Preparation course. No tuition or fees for this course are charged. During this course students will explore the following general principles:
Fall Semester
- Biochemistry: chemical basics of life; energy production and consumption in metabolism; biological information transfer.
- Physiology: cellular and molecular physiology; muscle physiology. These concepts are essential for understanding Medical Biochemistry and Medical Physiology and integrating them with clinical cases.
- Pharmacology: these lectures will provide insight into the biochemical and physiological aspects of drug effects.
Track 1 program students take two medical school courses, one graduate level course and one undergraduate level course:
Track 2 program students take three medical school courses and one graduate level course.
- Medical Biochemistry I
- Medical Physiology I
- Graduate Pharmacology
- Strategic Concepts in Science and Verbal Reasoning I
Spring Semester
- Medical Biochemistry I
- Medical Physiology I
- Graduate Pharmacology
- Medical Immunology
Track 1 program students take
Track 2 program students take
- Medical Biochemistry II
- Medical Physiology II
- Special Topics in Anatomy
- Strategic Concepts in Science and Verbal Reasoning II
- Medicine and Society II
Successful Program Completion
- Medical Biochemistry II
- Medical Physiology II
- Special Topics in Anatomy
- Medicine and Society II
Students who complete and pass all courses included in the DPMS program curriculum, achieve a minimum 2.75 graduate GPA, and for Track 1 students, release new official MCAT scores to the program, will be granted a certificate of program completion. Track 1 program students achieving a 3.00 graduate GPA, a minimum score of 7 Verbal Reasoning, 8 Physical Science, M Writing Sample, and 8 Biological Science on a new MCAT will retain their acceptance to the College of Medicine and begin studies in the fall. Track 2 program students achieving a minimum 3.00 graduate GPA and passing the Medical Immunology course also retain their acceptance and matriculate into the College of Medicine in the fall.
Students who do not retain their acceptance to the College of Medicine may be considered for acceptance into the Drexel Pathway to Medical School II program, where they can earn a Master of Science degree with an additional year of coursework.
Drexel University College of Medicine
Office of Professional Studies in the Health Sciences
245 North 15th Street, Mail Stop 344, Room 4104 NCB
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Telephone: 215-762-4692
Email: [email protected]
.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
8
Last edited:
7
Last edited:
actually the tuition is 22k + everything = 40k/yr
You've got to be kidding me. Sign me up.
You're right. WTF?
http://www.drexelmed.edu/Home/Acade.../DrexelPathwaytoMedicalSchoolDPMSProgram.aspx
A 20 MCAT and 2.75 GPA and you're a doc. Good thing I got that high MCAT score and a 3.8 just for kicks, seriously.
i dont really mind. its an extra 40k + interest + the med school loans
they still have to pass board exams, and be good doctors to make their money. paying back those loans will be a *itch. they will have to work harder during practice, which is really all that matters.
as students, i know we get caught up in which school/gpa/mcat and all that. but money goes far in real life.
6
Last edited:
5
Last edited:
Yes, but wouldn't you pay in state tuition at Drexel SOM? The 40K would be an investment.
No three of my students have graduated from college who are doing this program.
Hmmm, even as a URM if they aren't in a program similar to those outlined above they are high if they think they are going to get into Upstate.
4
Last edited:
Some students are shooting only for a 24 b/c that's what they need to get in. I would like an answer to know if this is true. What exactly is SUNY Upstate guaranteeing with a 24 MCAT an interview or an acceptance? I find it hard to believe people in the program making a mistake on this aspect though. All say MCAT 24=MD
Are you still asking a question that has essentially been answered?
If you don't think it's one of the options outlined above and they have graduated and still think they only need a 24 MCAT to get into Upstate, you could always go with a really crazy, novel approach... Ask them... 🙄
3
Last edited:
Loyola (Chicago) has one where you do a 1 year MPH and have a grad GPA of 3.5 and a certain MCAT. I think it's a 28 but not sure.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So there are a couple of *****s posting here. I am an Upstate graduate and I also taught MCAT for Kaplan (I probably even know the arrogant peach...at least by face...that made the original post). The program that is being questioned is a special program for people who are traditionally under-represented in the medical field. It is by invitation only. As someone else said, you still have to pass all the classes at Upstate (not easy), and do well on the boards....
Last edited:
So there are a couple of *****s posting here. I am an Upstate graduate and I also taught MCAT for Kaplan (I probably even know the arrogant peach at least my face that made the original post). The program that is being questioned is a special program for people who are traditionally under-represented in the medical field. It is by invitation only. As someone else said, you still have to pass all the classes at Upstate (not easy), and do well on the boards....
Not quite sure why you brought this back from the dead; did you actually think that mentioning the program was a) by invitation only and b) only provided to URM would make people more sympathetic to said program?
No and no. I just noticed this thread, and felt compelled to provide more information, as requested. I could care less what you think.Not quite sure why you brought this back from the dead; did you actually think that mentioning the program was a) by invitation only and b) only provided to URM would make people more sympathetic to said program?
This is a message from your friendly neighborhood moderator reminding you to not butcher expressions. Failure to comply will result in my head exploding.
No and no. I just noticed this thread, and felt compelled to provide more information, as requested. I could care less what you think.
It's not about what I think. You referred to a couple of posters as *****s, and then went on to talk about how the program is "invitation only for URM." Such information isn't exactly going to garner an "oh yeah, that seems reasonable" response given the lower entrance qualifications.
😱 That makes me scared to get treated by someone from Upstate.
It doesn't make me scared at all, assuming the Upstate graduate treating me is residency trained and board-certified.
I actually said "people who are traditionally under-represented in the medical field", but I guess people over-interpret and see what they wanted to see....It's not about what I think. You referred to a couple of posters as *****s, and then went on to talk about how the program is "invitation only for URM." Such information isn't exactly going to garner an "oh yeah, that seems reasonable" response given the lower entrance qualifications.
Last edited:
I actually said "people who are traditionally under-represented in the medical field", but I guess women people over-interpret and see what they wanted to see....
What do you think URM means?
What? Everyone knows that grades and scores determine professional competency. Just ask DO students.It doesn't make me scared at all, assuming the Upstate graduate treating me is residency trained and board-certified.
(waiting for the onslaught of DO'sWhat? Everyone knows that grades and scores determine professional competency. Just ask DO students.![]()




who are probably pretty not milk's biggest fans right now)edit: forget this post...
I thought you quoted me Milkman and I got confused..
doh! or better known as apparently I can't read
I thought you quoted me Milkman and I got confused..
doh! or better known as apparently I can't read
Last edited:
What? Everyone knows that grades and scores determine professional competency. Just ask DO students.![]()
😵 the plot thickens...
I actually said "people who are traditionally under-represented in the medical field", but I guess people over-interpret and see what they wanted to see....
Under-represented minorities in medicine...how exactly did you not pick up on this? See, you can complain that's not what you meant all you want, but it's your fault for using incorrect terminology if the message you conveyed was not interpreted correctly.
PS I'm not a woman.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 21
- Views
- 5K