Medical School Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
TNT,

Thanks for your reply. Those are pretty much the same reasons I'm choosing COMP over UHS, and the fact that COMP is getting its name out here in the West. I do have contact with current students, and for the most part they are pretty happy with their rotations. I work at one of COMPs affiliated hospitals, and the MSIIIs and IVs really get the experience they want as opposed to just following the doctor around and doing minimal procedures. Look forward to seeing you in the Fall.

-ROb

Members don't see this ad.

TNT and RobbC,

I am almost in the same boat as you, but am most likely stuck between COMP and AZCOM. Did you guys apply to AZCOM? If not, is there a specific reason? The school seemed much more appealing than did COMP but I also like the idea of staying close to home. Only problem is I am almost certain I will try to find a place away from the campus, which would make commuting a necessity. Not too sure about the apartments in the area around COMP. Anyhow...maybe I will see you guys there next fall. The new curriculum seems interesting especially with PBL mixed in. Pass around some more info. if you happen to get any about the school. Goodluck to everyone...

Pritbir

Kirksville's interview was easy. The only advice I can give is be yourself (cliche alert). Sounds corny, but it is so laid back and conversational that doing otherwise would be detrimental.

K'ville is an interesting community and I am anxious to learn my way around. Thanks to its size, it will only take a day.
smile.gif
Good Luck on your interview at KCOM, interviewing this early has to be a good thing...it has been for a lot of people.

Later all,
wannabe_doctor

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Doc Oc:
Anyone out there planning on going to UNECOM? It was my first choice school, and I found out I was accepted last weekend. I used frequent flier miles to get to Portland, so I don't know what the best flight for you would be. But just knowing what I do about airlines and airports, the cheaper flights are ones from an airline's hub to another hub, because they have alot of these flights. My main airport is Detroit, so I get cheaper flights through Northwest, because it is their main hub. Also, kewep in mind airport size. The smaller the airport, the pricier the ticket. I'd suggest flying to Boston or Manchester (MHT is the code) and driving. it is really a beautiful drive.

UNECOM was NOT my first choice school, until I visited the campus for an interview. Now I am having a heck of a time trying to decide between UNECOM and PCOM. PCOM is so large, but well rooted in 100 yrs. of medicine; UNECOM has just the right class size (115) and the most technologically advanced facilities out of all the schools to which I applied, but I can't gauge it's reputation. Both curricula are solid, but did you notice that UNECOM requires ACLS?!? That says something.

Glands

I agree with Glands...after interviewing at UNECOM..I was thoroughly impressed...I was amazed at the school, and their offerings. I might have some tough decisions ahead...

I was impressed with UNECOM the most out of all school I interviewed at. I just wish that the school wasn't across the country from where I live.

"Both curricula are solid, but did you notice that UNECOM requires ACLS?!? That says something."

At the risk of sounding dumb, what is ACLS? I've never heard of it.

Originally posted by Doc Oc:
"Both curricula are solid, but did you notice that UNECOM requires ACLS?!? That says something."

At the risk of sounding dumb, what is ACLS? I've never heard of it.

That's ok. It stands for Advanced Cardiac Life Support...essential for any physician in my opinion, especially during residency years. Paramedics and many nurses have this certification, so I feel that as physicians we should know this also considering we will be the ones who run the codes in the hospital.

I want to congratulate everyone so far on his or her success. All of your hard work has paid off. Now relax and ponder for a while, more challenges are ahead.

Advanced Cardiac Life Support is a three-day, non-certifying course for Paramedics, Nurses, PA?s and Doctors (some others can take it too, e.g. respiratory techs). It teaches/reviews current American Heart Association recommended emergency treatments for cardiac dysrhythmias, stroke, hypothermia, etc., etc. Most medical schools require it at some point. It is really a necessity for anyone who may be called to assist (or manage) a code. You learn the basics of defibrillation, cardiac pacing, emergency cardiac drugs, etc.

Do not feel silly, no one should expect you to know this?

RDJ

lets put it this way: this waiting game's a bi*&%$. its come to the point where i need to drink coffe to relax! im glad for yall, but i just hope i'll have something to post up in here very soon. (as i type, im waiting for the mailtruck to arrive.)

as far as schools go azcom and comp are twin meccas. azcom is very professional, great boards stats so far, great ambulatory rounds, and some excellent residency placements. location and safety are top notch. arizona is also an expanding metropolis so if you want to practice there, youll have your foot in the door come MSIV.

on the other hand comp is the most professionaly established DO school in the west, so there are great roations and residency placements. the students are kick-ass smart, though you couldnt tell that from how un-arrogant they are. the system based curriculum is commendable as is their OMM emphasis. in contrast to AZCOM's amiable aloofness, COMP seemed eager to please. probable reasons are the bleak campus surroundings (although USCMed is 10x worse).

anyways im rattling off here to no end. so ill go pour some more joe. i should have the results as early as today. its only been, what, about six years in the making... i suppose im entitled to some whining.

aaaargh!! waiting sucks!

Hey Adismo...

I'm in the same boat as you! AZCOM vs. COMP. I am going to make a pro vs. con list for both schools but you have basically done that in your post. I am leaning more towards COMP at this point. But AZCOM is still a possibility. Of course, I am still waiting for the letter to arrive! And TUCOM for now is out of the list. If you get any more ideas or opinions about which school you will attend, please post! Hopefully I will see you at one campus or the other next year! And yes, goodluck to all!

Pritbir

Anybody receive an acceptance to NSU? A little birdy told me that they have mailed out a handful of them. It will come in the form of a registered letter; big envelope.
Good luck, and for those with good news- CONGRATS!

Oh ya, one other I know of...anyone heard from DMU?

still waiting for COMP and AZCOM to send their response! this is more troubling each day, especially if you figure that they send their acceptances before they send their rejection letters. does anyone have any info on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Allow me to answer my own question. Uhhh, probably not. I got an acceptance and a waitlist notice on the same day. This is good.... its all good.

hey adismo...

let me know where you end up going...i'm almost sure i'm gonna go to COMP. azcom still just seems too new for me...but everything else about the school is cool. well goodluck deciding and goodluck to all!

PV1 & adismo,

I've made my final decision before the December deadline to open up some seats for our fellow applicants. I gave my deposit to COMP last week...which makes me #7 on the list so far. Hope to see you guys there. I'd love to have colleagues that choose to go to COMP rather than the others who were "forced" to go to COMP because they had no other choice. Let me know where you guys end up. See you in the fall.

Rob

I am deciding between PCOM and UNECOM and I also was excepted to CCOM. I would like to hear if anyone made any decisions yet. If so, where and Why? Anyone any insite in helping my decision?

Called Kirksville today and found out I had been accepted.

Looks like its going to be COMP, that was my acceptance. Its an established school with a good track record, etc, etc, and AZCOM (my waitlist) is quite new. That can be good or bad. COMP will receive my one grand in the near future.

----------------------
pray for an equitable and just resolution to the election crisis. pray for the liberty of the American republic.

Did anyone hear from AZCOM? I know someone who received an acceptance today. They interviewed there on 13 October.

GOOD LUCK! Happy waiting...

[This message has been edited by RDJ (edited 11-10-2000).]

pray for an equitable and just resolution to the election crisis. pray for the liberty of the American republic.
I'm sorry, I simply have to say something here. You all are wanting to be DOCTORS for Godssake. Thus, there has to be gray matter upstairs...we hope.

So...

What election crisis? All of this is procedural. Nothing is amiss. Close race triggers re-count as per Florida statute. Where's the problem? Try some independant thinking for a change instead of lockstepping to the media drivel.

Granted, the geriatric and dyslexic NY snowbirds in Palm Beach are another story...

Dear All,

I read a couple posts in which UNECOM was highly regarded. I currently shadow a neurologist (DO) who graduated from UNECOM and she can't stop talking about how much she enjoyed her time there. Does anyone have any information about the area and what it's like to live there? Also, any information about residency placement?

Thank you!

Together

"I've got another 10 weeks to quack"

-- Bill Clinton

I just wanted to tell everyone, I think Kirksville is the best D.O. school in the courntry. I just interviewed there and I am blown away! They have confrence rooms to broadcast lectures from physicians at the med school in Kirksville to various of their rotation sites so 3rd and 4th year students can interact with this physician. That's amazing. Very technologically advanced school. I would love to go there.

oh well. to an ex-communist block citizen nothing is "procedural." i happen to love this country and hate to see the media make buffoons of the american people.

this has very little with being a Doctor, but everything with being a concerned citizen.

[This message has been edited by adismo (edited 11-12-2000).]

yosh- Congrats on your acceptances!!
smile.gif
You probably don't remember me, but I was going through the interview process last year. (It's been quite awhile since I've posted anything around here....) Glad to see your perseverence has paid off.
smile.gif

Congrats again-

SD
UHS 2004

I was accepted to UHS-COM, LECOM, and Des Moines. I am thankful for all of my acceptances and have released two of them so that others will have an opening. I am glad to see that lots of people who post here are getting acceptances and for those that don't, it was a hard rode for me to get here and I know that if you don't give up you will get here also.

Osteopathic Medicine, No Greater Profession on Earth!

CHRSBRR - where did you end up deciding to go? I'd like to know, and you can email me if you must.

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

I've been waiting for this----

Just got my first acceptance. . . at CCOM.

SD,
Its is GREAT hearing from you...I have a million questions for you...check your "hotmail" account"..and write me soon...

Thanks!!!!!

[This message has been edited by yosh (edited 11-24-2000).]

Just got into Kirksville yesterday! Cant wait!

ON UNECOM,
I am a current first year at UNECOM. I chose the school because it was so pretty and near the beach and only an hour from home. The reality, it's pretty and all but I have to study so much it doesn't really matter what it looks like around me. Except that I wish I was on the beach or out hiking. It is a really safe area which is nice.
The labs are supposed to be really clean and all, which they are, but anywhere you go they are going to smell, and they do. And, you will never wear anything you wear in there again.
UNECOM is a great school with lots of clubs to be a part of, some great traditions even though it isn't that old, good teachers who are really supportive. It also has a really good reputation.
My thoughts on transportation. Definately check logan and manchester because manchester is usually cheeper. Look into to Portland if you want to be closer and time is an issue, sometimes with sales it's not that much more expensive.
I'm sorry I am not really available to e-mail since I am so busy I probably won't get back to you, I am already feeling guilty about spending time writing this!
smile.gif

Congrats to all of you who just got in. Unecom is full of really nice people and you will rely on us MSII's next year quite a bit. You will be proud of your school, but you will have to work really hard!!

I just got accepted at AZCOM and Nova...Just waiting to hear from UNECOM....I interviewed there almost a month ago....Did everyone take this long to hear from them???

Yosh,
You should have heard from UNECOM by now. They interview 3x/week and send all of their decisions the following week. A month seems excessive, you might want to follow-up.

Mike D.

Yosh,
I'm surprised you haven't heard from UNECOM yet. I was told at my interview that they interview 3 X per week, and the adcom meets on Saturday after all interviews and they make final decisions then. They then send out the letters. So when I interviewed, I was expecting to get my decision within a week. After 9 days, I got impatient, so I called the admissions office and told them what our tour guides told us abotu interviews, and that I had been guarding the mailbox like a madman. The person I talked to said "Hold on, I'll go get your file and we'll see what the decision was", and she looked and told me I was accepted. It didn't feel real to me until two days later when I got my actual letter (which ended up taking 11-12 days total from my interview, and I interviewed on a Tuesday). I bet you could call them up and ask them, they didn't seem to mind, and looking in my file was her idea, I just wanted to know if the decisions had already been made!

UNECOM question: If they have been interviewing since mid-September (10 weeks ago) and they interview 10 people 3 times per week, that is 300 interviews so far. The US News and World Report says they only interview 300 people per year. Does that mean they are just about done interviewing for the year?

When I interviewed there in SEPT, I was told that they intervew three times during the week, but interview week is every three weeks, not every week. I heard back in exactly 7 days from the day I interviewed. Interviewed on saturday, received the letter the next saturday. One month seems a bit long for a letter, I'd give them a call.

I am going to give them a call tomm. I really liked the school..aside from their lack of reception during the interview and receiving no information while I was there...I still liked it..but this lack of year round housing is for the birds!!
I can't imagine studying for my COMPLEX in June, and having to move in May...

I called UNECOM today...explaining that I interviewed a month ago..and haven't heard anything...they told me that the files haven't been reviewed yet..and that nothing has been sent out...

Oh well...at least it's not just me...

I got in to OUCOM, KCOM, TUCOM, CCOM, AZCOM, LECOM, PCOM, UNECOM, WVSOM, and NOVA. I think I'll end up in kirksville. Not the best environment (tiny town in the middle of now where)but definately the most inpressive curriculum and program out there and trust me cause I did alot of traveling between september and october and spent alot of money. Good luck everyone!!1

ACLS is advanced cardiac life support (also required by NYCOM along w/ BCLS-basic cardiac life support)

I also am going to attend KCOM. I was accepted at about 7 DO schools so far and KCOM was the best by far.

[This message has been edited by Akron, Ohio (edited 12-01-2000).]

I was just accepted to UNECOM today. Actually there was a certified letter waiting yesterday for me, and I had just interviewed this Saturday. So August MCATers, there is hope.

How long, after your AACOMAS app was transmitted, did it take to get interview notification from UNECOM? They picked up my electronic copy of my app on 12/4....

I received an invitation to interview about three days after receiving notice from them that my application was complete. Although I had sent my AACOMAS in early, I had taken a long time to send in my recommendation letters. If your application is now complete, you should be hearing soon. Best of luck.

kidteriffic

I am still a pre-med, but I live in Iowa. I have visited the campus and had a tour. I really like the facility, and would be very happy to go there. They even took me into the cadavre room, even though they were not supposed to. Some people from my under grad school are enrolled there this year and love it. Good Luck at your interview!
PS. Spaghetti Works is a great Italian place, and it is close by the campus...

RDJ- What school are you going to? I was reading some of your old messages and I'm curious if you decided on Michigan State.

Forgive me if you already told us, but I only skim most postings and I might have missed it.

I am a first year at UNECOM and I love it. There is year round housing in Biddeford and Saco. The only housing that isn't year round is the beach houses by the school. I live in a year round place. Its not as nice as living on the beach, but at least I get to stay here all year round.
I feel that I am getting a great education and the OMM department is really great. I was skeptical at first, but it is nice to have manipulation skills. People always have sore joints and muscles.

Hey smme! I have not posted on the BB for several weeks now. To be totally honest, I have not been reading it much either. I want to congratulate everyone who has been accepted into medical school thus far. To answer your question--It was a tough decision, but I decided to go to Michigan State-COM. I interviewed at all the MD and DO schools I wanted to. I liked the fact that I had a number of schools to compare and choose from. I want to say one thing though; I did not necessarily pick MSU because I think it is the ?best? medical school. In fact, it was pretty much a five-way tie for me. I think ?best? is an incredibly subjective term. However, as far as my wants, goals and personality goes, in the end MSU is the best one for me. Moreover, as far as all the other schools go, something one of my physician friends once said was reaffirmed after my interviews. I do not think there is such a thing as a ?bad? medical school in the U.S.A. The accreditation process they must all live up to is too demanding. The best medical school is the one the fits you best; or of course, the ?one? that accepts you.

Good Luck

Accepted to UHS, Touro, PCOM, COMP. I fell in love with SoCal so I'm heading to COMP this summer.

I don't think I would have had the time, money or patience to interview at all the schools that offered me an interview like "akron" did.

[This message has been edited by pyoj (edited 01-03-2001).]