Medical School Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by pyoj:
Accepted to UHS, Touro, PCOM, COMP. I fell in love with SoCal so I'm heading to COMP this summer.

I don't think I would have had the time, money or patience to interview at all the schools that offered me an interview like "akron" did.

[This message has been edited by pyoj (edited 01-03-2001).]

pyoj-
Just to let you know- I did not interview at all the schools I had interviews at - just the few I was interested in. Interviewing also did'nt take up much time since I had finished them all and had my acceptances by mid-october. Sorry if I was'nt going to let my future be limited by something as trivial as MONEY, interviewing was definately a good investment. For me applying to medical school was something I only wanted to do ONCE and deciding where to go is a decision that definately requires alot of TIME and PATIENCE. It's not the type of decision you make based on something like a LOCATION of a school, but a decision you should decide based on what you've seen for yourself at the school.
pyou- I'm not the type of person who lets insignificant things such as money hold me back, but I'm definately the type of person who puts time and patience into my future plans. Maybe you should try it sometimes. Goodluck at COMP hope you have a blast in SoCal!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by akron:

pyoj-
Just to let you know- I did not interview at all the schools I had interviews at - just the few I was interested in. Interviewing also did'nt take up much time since I had finished them all and had my acceptances by mid-october. Sorry if I was'nt going to let my future be limited by something as trivial as MONEY, interviewing was definately a good investment. For me applying to medical school was something I only wanted to do ONCE and deciding where to go is a decision that definately requires alot of TIME and PATIENCE. It's not the type of decision you make based on something like a LOCATION of a school, but a decision you should decide based on what you've seen for yourself at the school.
pyou- I'm not the type of person who lets insignificant things such as money hold me back, but I'm definately the type of person who puts time and patience into my future plans. Maybe you should try it sometimes. Goodluck at COMP hope you have a blast in SoCal!

Money is only insignificant if you have some. Not having enough money to attend all interview invites isn't grounds for deeming someone irresponsible about their future. Besides the $1,000 or more spent on the initial application and secondaries, now the money must be found for plane/train/bus/gas money, hotels, food, and clothes if you didn't already have some. I probably spent at least $150 on food/hotel/transportation for each interview. Multiply that times ten to go to all of them, and that's a pretty non-trivial chunk of change to me. Sure, it's a good investment. But you do need the money to invest. Money is not insignificant in every frame of reference, and is an acceptable reason for not going on every interview. Someone without as much money as Akron is not any less motivated about their future.
On the other hand, I don't see Akron's attendance of many interviews as being something worth attacking either. At any med school you can find students who weren't initially interested in that school, but loved it when they visited for interview and decided to go there. We all paid our money for our primary and secondary applications, so if an invite comes in the mail, it was earned. I know that some people think they have to wait longer for interviews and acceptances because of this, but to be frank I don't think that is a good enough reason to overtake Akron's reasons for attending all those interviews. Despite the wait, the classes eventually get filled by fall. IMO, we all had four or more years to determine our place in this everlasting queue, and those complaining about being in the back just may have earned those places, just as those in the front earned theirs.

O.K. people relax. I appologize for seeming unfriendly in response to akron. I was merely stating a personal point of view, not an attack on an individual or to start some controvertial discussion about personal preferences.

Frankly, I would have loved to attend all 10 of my interviews instead of just 4. I love travelling. However, I work full time and it would have been very diffucult taking over 10 vacation days in a span of 2 months. Needless to say, I spent days thinking and discussing about which schools to interview at. I agree that this is a one in a lifetime experience and is a very promissing career investment. And as far as the money issue goes, it's not about being trivial, it's about how well you utilize your money. It is a scarce commodity and I want to use it in a manner that would mean the most to me. It's kind of like researching information for a dot-com/tech. stock or a high return mutual fund.

When I mentioned SoCal as a location I was refering to the excellent learning environment and diversity, of course the year round warm weather does help in the decision making process...COMP, PCOM, TUCOM, and UHS were excellent schools and I loved everything about each school, its students, faculty, curriculum...including the cities...Since I had been accepted to each these schools, I needed to discriminate a little bit to make my decision. Location was not a major part of it, but it did factor into my decision.

Again, I was just sharing an opinion and have nothing agaist different people's decisions, personalities, methods, etc. I don't know you personally, so who am I to judge, right? We all have acchieved similar goals. That's why we're talking about this right now.

Congradulations to all your acceptances and maybe we'll be working together one of these days...

~jay

[This message has been edited by pyoj (edited 01-08-2001).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question:

Acceptances are starting to come in the mail, but I still have not heard from a few of the schools ("still in committee", when I call). The deposit money is coming due soon, how do I hold my spots in case I don't get into the school(s) I'm waiting for?

Thanks for the input...

------------------
The grass isn't greener on the other side --- it's just different grass

my suggestion is to put in a deposit for your top choice among the schools that you were accepted to already by their deadline(we'll call it school X). this guarentees that you will go to medical school (if by chance that you are denied admission from the other schools).

later on, when you gain an acceptance from the school of your choice (we'll call school Y), you can place the deposit for school Y and begin the matriculation process for that school (and of course you will have to forfeit the deposit you placed on school X).

basically, your main goal is to make sure you get into medical school. by putting in a deposit for school X, even though it is not your #1 choice, it will serve as a "safety."

hope i didn't confuse you too much.
good luck!

[This message has been edited by pyoj (edited 01-11-2001).]

I got accepted to my school of choice, TCOM, today. I am ecstatic!!!!!!!!!!

Jarrod

Hey guys,
Congrats to those who have gotten accepted. I have interviewed at KCOM, UHS-COM, and LECOM. I got the acceptance from UHS in two days, KCOM, in three days, and LECOM in a week or two. Well, because I have decided to attend UHS, I declined interview offers from Chicago, Arizona, Des Moines, and San Francisco. Good luck to those who are still in the process!

I have been accepted to AZCOM and MSU-COM...
I'm choosing MSU! I would love to hear from future DO Spartans. Good luck to everyone!

UNECOM it is in 2001!

Here I go, COMP!!!!!!!

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!

For those who are still waiting to hear from your number one choice school, GOOD
LUCK!!!!!!!

I was accepted to TUCOM and COMP. I am one lucky Californian! I've decided to attend COMP. Looking forward to meeting all my future classmates
smile.gif

Just wanted to say CONGRATS to our two newest classmates..Innerpower and Nellie!!
We are gonna have one HELL of a WILD RIDE!!!!!!

Check out the Osteopathic Board too....a bunch of us soon to be COMP M1's(including me) have beeen talking and b/s-ing...

Swing on by...and WELCOME!!!!!!

Originally posted by CLASSOF2005:
Hey guys,
Congrats to those who have gotten accepted. I have interviewed at KCOM, UHS-COM, and LECOM. I got the acceptance from UHS in two days, KCOM, in three days, and LECOM in a week or two. Well, because I have decided to attend UHS, I declined interview offers from Chicago, Arizona, Des Moines, and San Francisco. Good luck to those who are still in the process!

I too was very impressed with UHS and have decided to attend. See you in August!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everybody,
I got into UNECOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe I did it!!!!!!!!!! I have an interview this monday at PCOM. If I love the school and get in, then I'll have a difficult decision to make between UNECOM and PCOM. If not, then I'll definitely be attending UNECOM in the fall. I've been waiting to post an acceptance on this forum for so long. Congrats to all you other future doctors who have been accepted! Good luck to those who are still waiting to hear!

Tony

I got the letter form UHS today!! I called ahead so I knew I got in earlier this week, but the letter makes it real. UHS was my first interview, but I love the school so the rest of 'em can shove off. The check goes in on Monday. Anyone else from the Jan 26 interview group?

Here's my situation as of today:

Accepted at OUCOM (Oct), PCOM (Oct), UNECOM (Oct), and CCOM (Nov).
Interviewed at UCincinnati(Jan).
No word from MCO, OSU, or Wright State. Yes, even Wright State hasn't offered an interview... come on!

I had all of my secondary applications in by the end of September. The MD programs seem to be much less efficient at contacting applicants. I've even sent update letters to the schools. I haven't even been rejected by an MD program, yet. And I'm not waiting until August 30th to be interviewed by the allo schools. MY cutoff is March. I owe the DO's the respect they've afforded me. The DO schools sent interview notices as soon as the application hit their desks. That's what I call "applicant-friendly" service.

BTW, I'm NOT holding all of those acceptances. I've declined at CCOM, sending in my decline to PCOM tomorrow, and now I'm trying to decide between OUCOM and UNECOM. Where are all the OU applicants on this board? Thanks to all the UNECOM applicants who've offered advice/experiences.

-Glands

glands75, first of all, congratulations on all your acceptances. i'm interviewing at OUCOM on the 14th. any pre-interview suggestions? how long before you were notified of your acceptance? what was your overall impression of the school? btw, where in ohio are you from? i'm applying from out-of-state, but i grew up 30 miles east of cleveland. i look forward to hearing from you.

------------------
"Some people follow their dreams, Others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission. " --- Neil Kendall

[This message has been edited by Teufelhunden (edited 02-06-2001).]

Teufelhunden,

To receive an interview as an out of state student is a great accomplishment. It bodes well for you at this school.
You'll have 3 or 4, one-on-one interviews with faculty or administrators. They'll have a copy of your file in front of them, so know your AACOMAS and college transcripts well (explain any poor grades/withdrawals). Two of my three interviewers talked about the two different curricula, so it will behoove you to be familiar with them (see the OU website for the differences in the CPC and PCC curricula). I was also asked about my social activities and a little about the state of managed care today.
No ethical, technological questions were asked! Phew!

They send a decision within one week of the interview.

I was impressed with how well the students were treated at the school. I stayed with a student and learned the inside story. Students' suggestions about the curriculum are taken seriously and the pass/fail grading system makes it a non-cutthroat environment. Class size is ok (80/20 split between the two programs) Facilities are not the best I've seen, but good enough for two years of study. They give you a packet of "modules" when you start that is bigger than a Websters inside of a Ulysses text! Consider this as the beginning of your new exercise program as well. Haha
Classes are taught to prepare you to be a competent physician, etc, etc, but also to do well on the COMLEX (don't underestimate the importance of this exam!). The days of discontinuous learning of separate subjects is OVER! I work with a lot of residents/attendings who attended OUCOM and I haven't met a dissatisfied doc yet.

Note that you'll have to stay in Ohio for quite a while if you go here. The CORE system traps you from day one, but I LOVE Ohio and have NO problem with staying here for a while.

Familiarity with the location, students, faculty, etc. may cause me to choose OU over UNECOM, but who knows.

I live in the SW corner of Ohio between Dayton and Cincinnati. Nice area.

Have fun on interview day,
Glands

HOLD UP!
biggrin.gif

props to all my COMP classmates!

congratulations to everyone that got in, i know how much of a relief it is. it's been a long haul for most of us, six years for me (ARGGH, i cant beleive it, SIX ***** years). how should i celebrate? wear a rainbow afro, wet suit and flip flops on the first day of class!

anyways, congrats again, see yall in gross anatomy. lol

counting days till COMP

This post has been quiet for some time now. I am not sure why, and I hope it isn't a bad thing. but let me start it up again. I called PCOM today after waiting for a decision. I interviewed January 31st. Well, the woman wouldn't tell me whether I got in, but she said that I would have a good letter coming to me very soon.
smile.gif

nmehta: Who did you talk to at PCOM?

Not sure who I talked to, it was just the first person who answered. I asked regarding the status of my application and I was told that a letter was on its way. So i asked her to tell me the decision, and she said all she could tell me was that it was good news. It sounded like a young person, possibly a student worker.

Good luck. Did you interview the same day as me?

I have been accepted to AZCOM!!!!!
biggrin.gif

are there any others out there that are also
going to AZ

Harleyman, give me some poop. I've got an interview at AZCOM next week. How long after you interviewed did it take to get the news? Congrats, and I hope I can fare that well!

muonwhiz, I my interview was on Feb 27 and I received my acceptance last Fri March 9. Good luck on your interview, and let me know how it goes

Bummer!

I got a letter from PCOM saying that I was still being considered, and that teh committee has chosen to hold my application for further review. I couldn't believe that letter after talking to someone on the phone who I quote, said "you will be receiving a very good letter." What Gives?!

I made it!!!!!!!!!!! Kansas City, here I come. Oh man, it's a dream come true............I'm still shaking!!! Thanks guys for all your advice and valuable info posted on this board, I couldn't have done it w/o you. Gotta go, time to start jumping up and down!!!!
smile.gif

Congratulations to everyone who has already posted. I will be going to ccom in the fall. I wish everyone the best of luck in school next year.

I'm headed to LECOM, can't wait. Congrats to all who have been accepted. Mark my words...our class (meaning in all DO schools) will leave a mark in the world. People will say "That class of 2005 was damn good. Damn good."

Jbgetz,

You can't be going to CCOM...you haven't heard from AZCOM yet! I am glad that you have been accepted though so you can stop sweating it! Keep me posted and tell me when you hear from AZCOM. To anyone else who interviewed there, how long did it take you to hear back?

Jbgetz,
Thanks for the drink and I hope you made your flight!

Tiffany

Has anyone else decided on CCOM? If so, post a message or send an email. Thanks!

Dave Shope

nmehta:
I recently had the same experience, I was told a good letter was on the way and the girl said " Congratulations." Well, needless to say it was the same letter you received. Have you heard anything since?

sporrt,

No i have not heard anything since this letter. i am not sure what to make of it...but it has casted doubt about the school in my head. Not very professional.

nmehta:
Thanks for replying, I'll post if anything changes, and hope you will do the same.

I got a letter today from NYCOM today, but it came certified mail so I won't know what it says until after work today when I can pick it up at the post office. Hopefully there will be much rejoicing tonight.

Dcpayne,
When was your interview at NYCOM?

Thanx

If I'm not mistaken, a certified letter means that you're accepted. Congrats!

I interviewed the March 9. The acceptance letter was dated March 26.

Hey guys,

I was just accepted to both AZCOM and UHS and have no idea what to do. I have a week from today to figure it out. Any suggestions kids, or anyone in the same predicament? What the hell, anyone else who interviewed at these schools feel free to post or email me. I need some help guys. I think I am dead even on both schools at the moment.

Thanks again,
Tiffany

Hey Tiffany,

Congrats, here I am stressing on being an alternate at 2 schools with still one interview to go!

I wish I could offer you some better advice between UHS and AZCOM. Both cities have a lot to offer. KC is cheaper and safer and Phx is always sunny. I grew up in Phx and almost took a job in KC at one point and had researched it quite a bit.

Hmm, smaller classes in Az but less facilities, more established program at UHS.

I don't think I'm helping, you'll just need to find out what's important to you personally and make your list if you haven't already.

Good Luck,

Dave

Having interviewed at both UHS and AZCOM, I really find it interesting that you find UHS a "safer" neighborhood.....
I loved the school, but not for nothing...I didn't get a "safe" vibe.
I spent 5 days in KC...hanging out with thsi girl I met...and was told repeatedly that the area was "fiesty" to say the least....where Glendale seemed quite calm and tranquil(I also spent a few days there with friends)

I am not trying to start an argument...I just find it interesting...

Yosh,

I haven't visited UHS specifically, my comments were based more on the cities themselves.

I grew up a few miles from where AZCOM sits now and the surrounding area is quite nice. It's all been built within the past few years.

I've traveled to KC several times on business and on a couple trips to check out the area before considering a move there. KC is a "bigger" midwestern city but anyone that would assert that Phx is safer would have to check their reasoning.

I had my car stolen several times in Phx and broken into more than that. Battery stolen out of it in a parking lot, car stolen while at the state fairground, etc..

I used to work for a car alarm manufacturer in CA and we followed crime statistics closely to see if they matched security systems sales. Last time I checked, AZ had the highest increase in vehicle thefts <20% and already was pretty bad according to the FBI crime statistics. My opinions are probably a little biased since they are "auto theft" influenced but there is certainly more risk in Phx. I was living around 67th and Indian School when I couldn't leave my townhouse for the 15+ squad cars covering the area and 2 choppers overhead with a drug deal gone bad and a resulting shoot-out/murder. I knew the area wasn't the greatest but I was all I could afford at the time.

That said, I'd love to move back there because I have so much family close by. My wife would take the Midwest any day over S. Cal or Phx. We lived both places before uprooting to the midwest and we have loved it.

This is my perception based on experience and data I've looked at.

It's always a trade off. You can go to a DO school in a tiny community like KCOM or a huge one like Comp/Western.

Don't worry Yosh, I don't think your starting anything like an argument. The wonderful thing about this medium is it's fairly uncensored and open.

Anyone with more experience in KC should post if they want since I do have exposure but haven't lived there.

Dave

[This message has been edited by swdave (edited April 05, 2001).]

Sorry, gotta respond about safety here:

67th and Indian School is the ghetto, and really isn't even close to AZCOM. About 12 miles or so....

Agreed that Phoenix on the whole is less safe than KC on the whole, but I'll take a nice neighborhood in a Phoenix suburb over downtown KC ANYDAY. Downtown KC vs. Downtown Phoenix is another story....but the area of Glendale where AZCOM is located is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH different than downtown Phoenix.

Hey boys/girls,

Thanks for the input. I have no idea what to do. Both schools have a lot to offer, but seem totally different when I think about it. Yosh, you said that you interviewed at both...well, don't hold out on me, what did you think?

Boomer, if I'm not mistaken you are at AZCOM aren't you? Well, input is appreciated.

Thanks,
still utterly confused.

Ok one last post on the Phx thing then I'll call it good.

67th & I. School: Um, not great but I wouldn't say ghetto, there are MUCH worse areas. (At least when I lived there a few years ago)

Area around Azcom: Yup, quite nice BUT many of the quoted incidences happened when I grew up in the nicer area close to azcom, not the 67th and I. school abode.

Enough already. I seem to be painting a bad picture. This was originally meant to help Tiffany and I don't think I'm doing that.

One other note. At 67th and I. School is the BEST mexican I've found in the entire metro area. It's a little hole in the wall called Popo's. You've not had a good Machaca beef chimi unless you've had theirs. I discovered the place like 2 weeks before I moved to CA. It's totally worth the drive from anywhere in Phx.. (ok so I'm a little passionate about food)

Best of luck to everyone and good luck in the decision Tiffany.

Dave

Just got good news today, I've been accepted to PCOM and will be attending there in the fall!!! Just wanted to share my excitement...

Just got good news today, I've been accepted to PCOM and will be attending there in the fall!!! Just wanted to share my excitement...

Sportt,

Congrats, I hope I hear from them soon. Did you contact them at all during the time you waited?

Neel

nmehta:

Yeah, about a week after I received the "hold letter" I called and explained my situation and the lady again told me that another Good Letter was on the way. So I held my breath and kept my fingers crossed and luckily it came in yesterday. So, good luck maybe you will get yours today...

Congratulations to eveyone who has been accepted thus far.

For those who are still holding out hope, I wish you the best of luck. Hang in there.

To all Osteopathic MS-0's (as well as all pre-meds), here is your first asssignment...read this book:
rolleyes.gif

URL=http://www.studentdoctor.net/bbs/Forum3/HTML/002840.html

Cheers
biggrin.gif