Medical School after the Marines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CarotidB0died

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I'm currently wrapping up my undergrad with a 3.66 cGPA. On graduation I'm going to commission into the Marine Corps. At the moment my plan is to most likely complete The Basic School, serve the requisite three years after, and then get out and apply to medical school. My work in the military is going to necessarily be far and away my top priority over the next several years, but I'm still curious about any extra work I could do to spruce up my application.

I'm aware my GPA isn't great, especially since I would prefer to pursue MD over DO. I'm also aware a really good MCAT could elevate my application, so studying for it should be a priority. I was just wondering if anyone ever in a similar situation had any general advice on becoming a stronger applicant/finding access to post-baccalaureate coursework while active duty. A little more specifically, I was wondering about online certificates and Masters. I know these are typically weighed very little by adcoms, as they don't represent you learning material in a rigorous enough environment, but would taking them while in the military change that appearance at all?

Much obliged for your time.
 
Your military experience will definitely help. I am in the Army, and I feel that your ability to work as a team member, your leadership experience, awards/honors will help you stand out as a mature individual. You will need a high MCAT score to stay competitive for MD schools, and 513+ is a score you should aim for as a minimum. You should start writing down in your diary things that you have done in the Marines, how you have overcome challenges, help other people less fortunate than yourself, how you have stood up for what you believe or to protect others, how you maintain resilience, how you can use your medical knowledge and military experience to help others. In the mean time while you are serving, review MCAT material and do alot of questions. I studied MCAT while serving active duty Army, and it is challenging, but not impossible. I spent 2 years to review MCAT material before I decided to take the test. During your time as a Marine, start networking with military doc and your peers, as they can write a powerful letter of recommendation on your behalf.
Online Master wont fix your GPA, you may need to take extra upper level science courses ( Biochem, Genetics, Histology, Microbiology...) to boost your GPA.
Your MCAT score will make or break your chance to get into MD schools. Your military experience will definitely help.
 
Hey, so I went to USNA, TBS, then IOC. Served honorably for 5 years and then got out. Graduating from US MD this year. PM for me questions.