Medical School in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TMMB22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in Massachusetts and I'm going to apply to med school in the cycle after next. I'm debating packing up and going to CA, establishing residency and applying to CA schools.

Can people tell me how much harder/easier it is to get into med school in CA, if at all?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in Massachusetts and I'm going to apply to med school in the cycle after next. I'm debating packing up and going to CA, establishing residency and applying to CA schools.

Can people tell me how much harder/easier it is to get into med school in CA, if at all?

CA is the most brutal state unless you're a highly competitive applicant.

CA is the most brutal state unless you're a highly competitive applicant.

I don't believe this is entirely true. I was a completely average cookie-cutter applicant and I still got accepted to a CA school this cycle (OOS, zero state ties). Just be a marginally interesting applicant and really show your enthusiasm in your interview (VERY important).

Members don't see this ad :)

OP, I'd think your odds at UMass would be better than your odds at any UC. It's just too crowded here in CA and there's simply too many applicants. The person above who said they got in being average OOS is certainly not the norm.

Doesn't UMass have like one of the lowest tuition for in state schools? Why would you want to give that up for CA where tuition has probably gone up another 5% after you finish reading this post :laugh:

I don't believe this is entirely true. I was a completely average cookie-cutter applicant and I still got accepted to a CA school this cycle (OOS, zero state ties). Just be a marginally interesting applicant and really show your enthusiasm in your interview (VERY important).

BS. post your stats and which UC.

Think about it this way- if you move to CA and have a decent application, then your odds of getting into a UC school increase from very very low all the way up to marginally low.

If you stay in Mass, and assuming the same application, your chance of getting into UMass is reasonably high. Your chance of going to a UC is, as I said, is very very low.

So... take your pick. Are you a gambler?

If the applicants here in California are simply terrified of applying here, that should tell you something about the difficult of getting into a Cali school. ;)