Medical School in Israel?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicallyEnthused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have recently decided that i want to go to medical school and residency in Israel.
I do not intend to return to the U.S. (to live) once i begin medical school.

I currently am in my junior year of my undergrad in the United States.
I also have dual citizenship in both Israel and the U.S. (I was born in Israel, but moved to the U.S. at a very young age), along with a good understanding of hebrew.
I do plan to study/relearn Hebrew more in depth before i go to Israel, however.

From the research i did i was able to find 3 American based medical schools in Israel:
-Technion University
-Tel Aviv University
-Ben Gurion University

I was wondering, for these schools, is it required that you return to the U.S. for residency, because, like i said I want to do residency in Israel, ensuring that i stay there (which is where i would like to live and have a career in medicine).

I also am interested is Israeli (non-American based) medical schools in Israel, but i found that for most of these schools, they are 7-8 years long, since they do not require a bachelors degree.
Does anyone know which, if any, of these schools offer a 4 year tract for people with a bachelors degree?

The schools that either are an Israeli medical school or are American based and Israeli as follows:
-Bar Ilan University (Israeli med school only)
-Hebrew university (Israeli med school only)
-Technion University (American and Israeli med schools)
-Tel Aviv University (American and Israeli med schools)
-Ben Gurion University (American and Israeli med schools)

All five universities, however have Israeli medical schools, so in theory i could send in 8 applications, assuming all the Israeli schools offer a 4 year tract for people with a bachelor's degree.

My overall plan is to apply to as many medical schools in Israel as possible, with the goal/hope to go to medical school and do residency in Israel.

Any and all advice/info is much appreciated.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, TU, TAU, and BGU want their graduates to practice medicine in America and the MD degree that is licensed is for the States. You'd enroll to these schools after you gained a bachelor's and took the MCAT and such. However, I think you can go practice medicine in Israel if you pass some board examinations that test your competency according to Israeli standards... but it is probably a different story for residency.

I'm not too sure on the process either, sorry! But it's something you can ask the schools individually! They're informative and respond relatively quickly.

If you want to practice in the US you are better off doing school here

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to practice in the US you are better off doing school here

You should probably read more than the title of a thread before giving advice. The OP said repeatedly, included in the first line, that they want to practice in Israel.

Reactions: 12 users
Last edited:
You should probably read more than the title of a thread before giving advice. The OP said repeatedly, included in the first line, that they want to practice in Israel.
I missed the word "not" in the first mention of it.

This is why I'm known as the kindest person on SDN

Good thing you're not a serial killer! Otherwise I would be worried your kindness was a deceptive ploy meant to lure us into your blood stained arms.

Such an unconventional way of writing.

You should adress your inquires to someone from Israel, as I'm not sure what SDN has to do with practicing medicine in Israel. Also, keep in mind salary differences between US and Israeli physicians.

http://www.nbn.org.il/aliyahpedia/employment-israel/professions-index/medicine-health/physicians/

I already read through Nefesh B'Nefesh, Almost all of their information regarding medicine pertains only to existing physicians in the U.S and other countries.
And salary is not a motivator, if it was, I wouldn't even be going into medicine to begin with.

I will probably just contact each of the schools individually to find out more.
Thanks anyways.

Have you already done conscription? if not you will have to do it when you go to Israel.

Have you already done conscription? if not you will have to do it when you go to Israel.

No i have not, but I plan to serve after i complete my medical education.
They can postpone it until graduation from school, and possibly Israeli residency as well, and thus i will just serve as a doctor in the IDF.

No i have not, but I plan to serve after i complete my medical education.
They can postpone it until graduation from school, and possibly Israeli residency as well, and thus i will just serve as a doctor in the IDF.

You are a great patriot for serving your country. I have a lot of respect for you. תחי ישראל

Reactions: 4 users
You are a great patriot for serving your country. I have a lot of respect for you. תחי ישראל
Toda Rabba! I would have served if i stayed there, but i was living in the U.S. at the time.
It is my true home, my reason for wanting to go back.

Reactions: 1 users
I know Sackler has no problem if you want to stay in Israel. I inquired about that.

Avoid BGU at all costs. It's circling the drain.

BGU is doing just fine.- one of the many satisfied first year students.

What a heart warming little story we have ourselves here. Respect for your valor as a brave countryman and healer of the masses!