Medical School Loses Body (NYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanky5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Medical school loses donated body
BY SOPHIA CHANG
Newsday Staff Writer

October 20, 2006

For the second time, Edward Foge is gone.

Before Foge died in 2000 at age 84, the telephone technician from New Hyde Park often told his wife, Velma, that he wanted his body to be used for medical research.

"One thing that Mr. Foge had said to his wife repeatedly was, 'When I die, I want my body donated because that's a great way to give back to medical science,'" said Kenneth Mollins, a Melville-based lawyer for Velma Foge.

So about a month after Foge's death, she spoke with a medical school in Old Westbury called the New York College of Osteopathic Medicine, part of the New York Institute of Technology. Foge's body would be used at the college for up to two years, then cremated and the ashes returned to Velma Foge, according to a signed agreement with the school's anatomy department that was provided by Mollins.

But now the school cannot find Edward Foge's body.

"This is going back six years," said Jason Selss, a media relations manager for the college. "We can't locate the documentation, and it has been misplaced. We're aggressively investigating this unfortunate matter."

Velma Foge declined to be interviewed, but Mollins expressed incredulity. "How do you lose a whole body?" he said. "That has earmarks of improper disposal."

Mollins said that Velma Foge, 70, has been trying to locate her husband's remains since 2003, but she had difficulty reaching the school. But Selss said her first contact with the college was last month.

"We didn't hear from Mrs. Foge until mid-September," Selss said. "We acted immediately. Within two weeks, the dean did visit her at her home to apprise her of the situation."

The dean, Dr. Thomas Scandalis, has offered to establish a memorial scholarship in her husband's name, plant a tree or donate a plaque in his honor, Selss added.

Mollins has contacted the state Department of Health to see whether the college violated regulations. The school is a licensed non-transplant anatomical bank and required by the state to keep records for five years after using cadavers for education or research purposes.

"We are aware of this situation and we will be looking into it. We'll do a comprehensive review," said Claire Pospisil, a spokeswoman for the state Health Department.

Velma Foge has not taken legal action, Mollins said, and is waiting for answers.

"She said, 'At this point, I would feel very skeptical about receiving any ashes back because I would find it hard to believe it's him. The only thing I really want is to get him back,'" Mollins said.

Dang, I go to NYCOM. All I know is that I didn't lose it. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Wow.

I really feel sorry for that women.

I don't even know what to say.

I almost thought this was a joke, I mean come on Dr. Thomas A. SCANDALIS. crazy, I feel sorry for the wife's loss.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ooops...... :laugh:

Yea, I guess you should have said something when Scandalis offered an extra 5 pts on the test to put a garbage bag in your trunk and toss it over the Brooklyn bridge. :D

Serously speaking though they probably misplaced the paperwork and will find it.

Yea, I guess you should have said something when Scandalis offered an extra 5 pts on the test to put a garbage bag in your trunk and toss it over the Brooklyn bridge. :D

Serously speaking though they probably misplaced the paperwork and will find it.
Let's hope so....you really don't want to see the typical award for desecrating a corpse, let alone LOSING it entirely.

Well I was with the entering class in 2001, but thankfully our cadaver was a woman

i think they are hiding it in the OMM lab where the fellows use it to practice HVLA......

His poor wife.

But the "Dr. Scandalis" part does make me laugh :laugh:

His poor wife.

But the "Dr. Scandalis" part does make me laugh :laugh:
Dr. Scandalis pronounces the "dal" like the "dal" in "Dallas, TX" aka "SCAN-DAL-IS" versus "scandalous". But the rest of us all call him "Dr. Scandalous" on purpose. :smuggrin:

Just to clear things up a bit. Dean Scandalis spoke to us today and told us that NYCOM did nothing wrong. We had a contract with a government licensed mortician to transport the bodies to/from funeral home,etc. and deliver the remains to the family afterwards if requested. He told us NYCOM dug through their old documents and have provided the DA with all the proper documents showing that we handed over that specific body to the licensed mortician at which point the DA backed off. So it looks like the mortician lost the body, not NYCOM. The harmless media would never exaggerate/alter a story to excite people, right? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I bet it was terrorists Bush will be all over this one in no time!

I bet it was terrorists Bush will be all over this one in no time!
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, he also said we will be having daily jet flyovers now :D

BY SOPHIA CHANG
Newsday Staff Writer

October 20, 2006

Before Foge died in 2000 at age 84, the telephone technician from New Hyde Park often told his wife, Velma, that he wanted his body to be used for medical research.

"One thing that Mr. Foge had said to his wife repeatedly was, 'When I die, I want my body donated because that's a great way to give back to medical science,'" said Kenneth Mollins, a Melville-based lawyer for Velma Foge.

So about a month after Foge's death, she spoke with a medical school in Old Westbury called the New York College of Osteopathic Medicine, part of the New York Institute of Technology. Foge's body would be used at the college for up to two years, then cremated and the ashes returned to Velma Foge, according to a signed agreement with the school's anatomy department that was provided by Mollins.

"This is going back six years," said Jason Selss, a media relations manager for the college. "We can't locate the documentation, and it has been misplaced. We're aggressively investigating this unfortunate matter."

Velma Foge declined to be interviewed, but Mollins expressed incredulity. "How do you lose a whole body?" he said. "That has earmarks of improper disposal."

Mollins said that Velma Foge, 70, has been trying to locate her husband's remains since 2003, but she had difficulty reaching the school. But Selss said her first contact with the college was last month.

"We didn't hear from Mrs. Foge until mid-September," Selss said. "We acted immediately. Within two weeks, the dean did visit her at her home to apprise her of the situation."

The dean, Dr. Thomas Scandalis, has offered to establish a memorial scholarship in her husband's name, plant a tree or donate a plaque in his honor, Selss added.

Mollins has contacted the state Department of Health to see whether the college violated regulations. The school is a licensed non-transplant anatomical bank and required by the state to keep records for five years after using cadavers for education or research purposes.

"We are aware of this situation and we will be looking into it. We'll do a comprehensive review," said Claire Pospisil, a spokeswoman for the state Health Department.

Velma Foge has not taken legal action, Mollins said, and is waiting for answers.

"She said, 'At this point, I would feel very skeptical about receiving any ashes back because I would find it hard to believe it's him. The only thing I really want is to get him back,'" Mollins said.

that's horrible. very irresponsible.

PlasticMan,
Your avatar rocks.

That is all. :)

BY SOPHIA CHANG
Newsday Staff Writer

October 20, 2006

I guess I don't feel bad about losing my keys anymore

Like the previous post.

The gov't requires records for 5 years. This was 6 years ago, no contact from the wife to the school for 6 years!

The school HAD records. They showed the body legally, contractually, given to a licensed medical transporter.

The school followed protocol and procedure.

The ONLY problem here is that they should have followed up on delivery, they didnt.

BTW the transporter didnt have records and is NOT affiliated with NYCOM, we no longer use them.

Whatever, at least I didnt lose the body.

The school is making a HUGE scholasrship in retribution and some memorial, even though it was NOT their fault here.

Alright, back to studying OMM. Dr. Ahn makes these ridiculous pop quizzes seem so important, and makes believe that they are graded. Hah. But seriously gotta study.

If the transporter doesn't keep records, and didn't deliver the corpse, then NYCOM is at least partially at fault for using that transporter.

Most likely, the body was sold on the black market by the recordless transport company or one of its drivers.