Medical School or Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhiteningStrike

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a current medical school applicant but over the past year I have considered going to dental school being that my sister is a second year dental student and I was able to hear more about dental school during her first year. I am just wondering if I should still pursue medical school or go for dental school. I like both fields, but I do have some worries about the medical field.

First, I am worried about getting placed into a residency program after medical school. I have an interest in radiology at the moment, and I am worried that I will not be able to get a high enough Step 1 score to be placed in a residency program.

What are your thoughts/guidance?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I am a current medical school applicant but over the past year I have considered going to dental school being that my sister is a second year dental student and I was able to hear more about dental school during her first year. I am just wondering if I should still pursue medical school or go for dental school. I like both fields, but I do have some worries about the medical field.

First, I am worried about getting placed into a residency program after medical school. I have an interest in radiology at the moment, and I am worried that I will not be able to get a high enough Step 1 score to be placed in a residency program.

Thanks.
At the current time, Radiology is not a "competitive" specialty. At least that's the refrain that keeps getting trumpeted, but there might be some subtle nuances in that statement that the people in the Radiology forum might be able to elucidate better for you. That being said, the average Step 1 of those who matched I believe is like 240+, which is still quite competitive and there is no assurance that Radiology won't get back to being very competitive in the near future, by the time you match. Realize most people who do a Radiology residency are now doing fellowships as well - as I believe the market is demanding it now at least in places that people want to actually work.

Is Radiology the only specialty that would make you happy? If so, why?

Reactions: 1 user
Medical school > Dental school

sorry fancymylots

Members don't see this ad :)
i was originally set on pursuing dentistry in college. then my friend at the time who was in med school introduced me to pm&r. let's just say the rest was history!

Medical school > Dental school

sorry fancymylots

ive said it before, ill say it again, if i didnt have the business waiting for me that i did, i would have chosen a different path, and hoped for the best. that said, for the $$$ that i was making at age 26, i would pick dental school a thousand times over.

Reactions: 1 users
ive said it before, ill say it again, if i didnt have the business waiting for me that i did, i would have chosen a different path, and hoped for the best. that said, for the $$$ that i was making at age 26, i would pick dental school a thousand times over.
just messing you girl, dont justify **** to me, you dont deserve girl.

Friend of mine is a craniofacial fellow who is an MD/DDS (he went to dental school first). He's great at what he does and enjoys it, but he has said multiple times that his friends from dental school who work in general practice dentistry are making BANK right now compared to the path he ended up choosing. I guess it's all a matter of what you're more passionate about, but you do have to weigh the costs and benefits of both.

Hi everyone,

Thanks.
We can't really make much recommendations unless we know more about what attracted you to either professions.

Friend of mine is a craniofacial fellow who is an MD/DDS (he went to dental school first). He's great at what he does and enjoys it, but he has said multiple times that his friends from dental school who work in general practice dentistry are making BANK right now compared to the path he ended up choosing. I guess it's all a matter of what you're more passionate about, but you do have to weigh the costs and benefits of both.
When your friend is done with his OMFS residency, his GP friends will talk about how he is making BANK, like 3 times more bank probably

When your friend is done with his OMFS residency, his GP friends will talk about how he is making BANK, like 3 times more bank probably

Unless you're a smart GP and businesssman(woman) and own a few practices and hire the aforementioned big bad omfs people to work for you. Just sayin

Fancy,

Are you inheriting a dental practice? If so, in what state? Also, are you planning to specialize?

thanx

It's really all about what you want to do with your life - remember that this is a choice between medicine and dentistry, not really between medical school and dental school. If you're not sure which you want to do as a career, I would recommend talking to physicians and dentists about what they like and don't like about their jobs as well as doing some shadowing. I'm not nearly as familiar with dentistry, but my impression is that most areas of dentistry involve a lot of hands-on work and procedures - very, very different than radiology.

...or you can be both. My friend knows someone who became a facial reconstruction surgeon by receiving both degrees

...or you can be both. My friend knows someone who became a facial reconstruction surgeon by receiving both degrees

It's not as easy as "receiving both degrees." OMFS is a very rigorous and very competitive program involving 4 years of dental school, then 3-4 years of medical school WHILE working part-time as a dental resident, then finishing that residency.

It's not as easy as "receiving both degrees." OMFS is a very rigorous and very competitive program involving 4 years of dental school, then 3-4 years of medical school WHILE working part-time as a dental resident, then finishing that residency.

I wasn't saying it was easy I just suggested it as a possibility if he liked that path