Medical school “prestige” with residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpideyMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never really cared about prestige until I started to do more research. I’ve been strongly considering going into ENT, Derm, and plastic surgery. I’m just wondering how much going to a mid tier medical school will hurt me in terms of matching into the specialty I want. Residency program prestige matters very little to me.

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is exactly what you think it is. It's easier to match in anything from a more prestigious school.

People from all tiers of schools match in every specialty every year. People from top schools tend to match at top programs, mid tier schools at mid tier programs, etc. It is what you make of it. Research is going to be the #1 most important thing for you.

Reactions: 7 users
The answer is exactly what you think it is. It's easier to match in anything from a more prestigious school.

People from all tiers of schools match in every specialty every year. People from top schools tend to match at top programs, mid tier schools at mid tier programs, etc. It is what you make of it. Research is going to be the #1 most important thing for you.
This^^^^^^. At the risk of sounding like the crusty old adcoms here (I'm just a lowly premed!), nearly 60% of applicants don't have to worry about such things each year, so, first things first. You just so happened to randomly pick three of the most highly competitive specialties, so the odds are extremely high that this just won't be relevant to you. Do your best, aim high, and let the chips fall where they may.

If you have a choice between Harvard and Drexel and you have your heart set on derm, you'll probably have more opportunities to realize your dream at Harvard. But, honestly, this isn't relevant to a premed because the odds are high you'll change your mind multiple times between now and the match., and your performance in school, including research, will have much more impact on your residency possibilities than the prestige of where you go to school.

Of course, the better the school, the more impressive excellent performance will be, and the more exposure you'll have to the types of people who can help you on whatever path you choose. So why not just apply broadly, see what your options are, and then research it again when you know what your options are? JMHO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never really cared about prestige until I started to do more research. I’ve been strongly considering going into ENT, Derm, and plastic surgery. I’m just wondering how much going to a mid tier medical school will hurt me in terms of matching into the specialty I want. Residency program prestige matters very little to me.
It won't hurt.

But as pre-med, get into medical school first, and then worry about these things.

Reactions: 7 users

Also for what it’s worth, you said you used to not care about med school prestige and now realize there could be benefits to going to a more prestigious institution. In 4 years you’ll say the same thing about residency prestige rankings.

There is always another level to the game, and for better or worse (usually worse) most people don’t stop playing once they’ve started.

Reactions: 5 users
Also for what it’s worth, you said you used to not care about med school prestige and now realize there could be benefits to going to a more prestigious institution. In 4 years you’ll say the same thing about residency prestige rankings.

There is always another level to the game, and for better or worse (usually worse) most people don’t stop playing once they’ve started.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought physicians basically get the same pay and lifestyle no matter what residency they go into. Thus, the prestige of residency programs isn't important?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought physicians basically get the same pay and lifestyle no matter what residency they go into. Thus, the prestige of residency programs isn't important?
You are correct. In the end run, it doesn't matter, because as an attending, your salary will be the same whether you went to Harvard or ACOM.

Reactions: 1 user
You are correct. In the end run, it doesn't matter, because as an attending, your salary will be the same whether you went to Harvard or ACOM.
So it’s the fact some residency programs potentially produce better doctors?

This is just me, but I always leave "prestige" where it belongs - in the trash. To me, completing medical school/residency requirements are of the highest priority than the illustrious power that the name of a program gives off. This is analogous to clothes, for instance: a $5 shirt covers your body the same way a $5,000,000 shirt does. The only difference is in designer name/brand, which is what you're paying for. In the end, you're still wearing a shirt.

Of course if you happen to match into a prestigious program through your own merits, then go for it if you want. Just don't devalue yourself over it if it doesn't happen. Many "non-prestigious" residencies are just as great as ones that are. After all, they wouldn't be an option for soon to be docs if they weren't. ;)

Disclaimer for not being an ADCOM or PD.

I think for residencies, like most positions, personal hard work is the most important.

Can you conduct quality research? Can you convey yourself well? Can you interact well with preceptors and other class members?

I think if this can be shown through that hard work, then it's less important the name on the diploma because your own name will carry weight itself.

I'm always a fan of the phrase: The harder I work, the luckier I get!

Prestige of residency may help you with getting the first job in a reputed group or hospital system. With more and more new physicians going for jobs vs private practice it's like any other field now. Only difference is salaries tend to be same regardless of the prestige of the program.

Reactions: 1 user
It helps, how much really depends on who is evaluating you.

The number 1 thing T20s give you in my opinion is the ease of access to opportunities and connections. It is not that these aren't available elsewhere, but if you go to a "really good" med school, it's easier to get email responses, likely have good and abundant in-house research, the faculty may be well known and can write LORs or make a phone call for you, etc. Again, the nice part is this is possible for pretty much any med student, but you may have to work harder than people at T20s to get it.

I don't think anyone would take coming from a T20 school over a first author pub or LOR from a nationally renowned physician. But it does help, however big or small to come from a "better"/higher ranking school.

Reactions: 1 users
My bias is those who get a lot of Honors during the core 3rd yr clerkships and have excellent reference letters turn out to be fabulous residents. The top state school graduates are every bit as great as those from Top 10-20 med schools.

In fact, we have had some residents from top notch medical schools who acted so entitled and arrogant that no one from attendings, fellow residents, nurses and Allied Health liked working with them. Please knock that chip off your shoulder!! I have had difficult conversations with residents trying to help them reframe their mindset about being “special” purely because of where they went to medical school (most of them were very receptive and didn’t realize how they were being perceived by others).

I actually could care less where my fellow colleagues went to medical school. I’m more likely to know where they did their residency or fellowship.

Please care more about the actual learning and being a good physician than what institution your medical school diploma has on it!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users