Medical School Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chorboke

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any site other than US News and World Report that ranks Medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Good question, as I was wondering what the rankings would be if they didn't take into consideration NIH money?

There are the Gourman rankings. I don't have a URL for it on me right now, but you should be able to do a search for it and find a listing - as well as a comparison between Gourman and US News.

Members don't see this ad :)
<a href="http://www.sanet.co.kr/html3/mdgourman.html" target="_blank">http://www.sanet.co.kr/html3/mdgourman.html</a>

no medthodology given whatsoever, enjoy!

Okay, I have serious problems with this Gourman fella. I went to my school's library and checked out the Gourman reports all the way back to the late 60's and through time I have noticed that hardly any of the rankings have changed. I think this guy has kicked the bucket too because the last one was published in like 1985. I was really happy to see Pritzker as #6 in the country, but then again Baylor is not in the top 30 medical schools and that is absolutely absurd. I think this guy is jerking people around to sell his book.

-GS

I found a 97 or 99 report (can't remember which)..I had to call UCI about it.

A lot of people have problems with the Gourman Report--the claim is that it is based almost entirely on (the late) Gourman's personal preferences. If anyone knows the scientific method behind this list, it would be great to see it!

Meanwhile, honestly, I think that the rankings that count the most are the reputations by academics and residency directors--these are the folks that drive medicine. While US News does have its problems, at least you can rearrange their list by academic and residency director rankings...

Now, if only we could find a student satisfaction rating...

mma

i'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Gourman is dead...so, if you're looking for recent rankings, you probably won't find any unless someone else is creating a list under the Gourman title (highly unlikely).
i wish they had a princeton review type list like they do for undergrad (i.e. happiest students, best location). While a lot of it may seem silly, it's still nice to know.
Also, I'm sort of confused about primary care index vs. the research based list. I'm more of a research oriented person, and am not really looking to enter primary care, so if I want to check out rankings, should I pay more attn. to US News reasearch?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by DrSuga:
•i'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Gourman is dead...so, if you're looking for recent rankings, you probably won't find any unless someone else is creating a list under the Gourman title (highly unlikely).
i wish they had a princeton review type list like they do for undergrad (i.e. happiest students, best location). While a lot of it may seem silly, it's still nice to know.
Also, I'm sort of confused about primary care index vs. the research based list. I'm more of a research oriented person, and am not really looking to enter primary care, so if I want to check out rankings, should I pay more attn. to US News reasearch?•••••Yup, you should be looking at the research based list. The primary care ranking gives fairly high priority to the number of students who go into primary care residencies, which means very little to most of us. That's the usual ranking that people talk about - with Harvard and Hopkins at the top, and so on.

The Gourman ranking is usually fairly controversial. And, I don't think it's been updated since he passed away several years ago. I find it somewhat useful because it's the only real ranking of Canadian medical schools out there - the Canadian equivalent of the US News ranking bases their rankings on schools as a whole, including undergraduate, their music department, etc... :D So, my home school has one of the top med schools in Canada, and a really crappy undergrad program, so they're always right at the bottom, as the undergrad rankings drown out the med school rankings.

At least that's what I tell myself. :D

The TPR guide to med schools has a few student coments on each school, but really, it's pretty worthless, IMHO.

I was interested in how the US News rankings among top schools (research) have changed over recent years. I did some searching on Google, and the results are below. For the most part, the rankings have remained quite stable over the last five rankings. An exception I noticed though was Yale. It seems to have dropped significantly. Any thoughts? Is this trend likely to continue? Does this reflect a weakening of Yale's reputation.
BTW, no, I don't think rankings should be of paramount importance in choosing a school, but I do think the information is relevant. People (including residency directors undoubtedly) read these reports and accordingly make judgements, whether justified or not. That's my 2 cents, anyway.

1. HARVARD UNIVERSITY (Mass.)
2. JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY (Md.)
3. YALE UNIVERSITY (Conn.)
4. UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA AT SAN FRANCISCO
5. WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (Mo.)
6. DUKE UNIVERSITY (N.C.)
7. UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA
8. COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY (N.Y.)
9. STANFORD UNIVERSITY (Calif.)
9. UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON

1. Harvard
2. Johns Hopkins