Medical School Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dogdayafternoon

Oh my God, this sucks. How the hell do you deal with it? This blows completely. I've lost all hope in life. It's so shameful to watch your friends get accepted and you rejected especially when it was you who helped your friends do everything to get them in. I know it's not this normal to be this bitter but man, i just don't give a damn anymore about anyone.

Members don't see this ad.

dogdayafternoon said:
Oh my God, this sucks. How the hell do you deal with it? This blows completely. I've lost all hope in life. It's so shameful to watch your friends get accepted and you rejected especially when it was you who helped your friends do everything to get them in. I know it's not this normal to be this bitter but man, i just don't give a damn anymore about anyone.

Tell them that you are cooler than them and then challenge them to enter the talent show against you. Wow the audience with your best acapella rendition of whatever symphony composition you are most fond of, and you will be sure to take home the blue ribbon.

Go to europe to study. You'll be back in no time and on one will care as long as you are a good doc. I played that admission game for 2 years. Finally told them to go F--- themselves! I start PGY-1 in IM in July. There are always other routes to your dreams. Good luck! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
MEG@COOL said:
Tell them that you are cooler than them and then challenge them to enter the talent show against you. Wow the audience with your best acapella rendition of whatever symphony composition you are most fond of, and you will be sure to take home the blue ribbon.
Meg@cool, why don't you enter the contest. It will be fun. After your peformance we can go out on a date.

I agree with apache. Take advantage of this opportunity. Yeah, it sucks to be rejected- but don't let it change you. You have a year to go do anything (if you put your mind to it). I would suggest traveling to a poorer country and get some experience there. Honduras was intense, nice weather though; China is super cheap, hella crowded. Europe is real cool if you do it right, and have the funds to do so. Traveling may not be your cup of tea, but do something you are interested in. Go out and experience stuff.

Sorry to hear about your tough luck. [...Rome was not built in one day]

dogdayafternoon said:
Meg@cool, why don't you enter the contest. It will be fun. After your peformance we can go out on a date.

this is funny.

There's a fellow in my current class who was rejected 2 years in a row- He just never gave up and kept applying. And all the kids who took time off loved the fact that they had time off before hitting the books- Take the time to say - "Hey what can I change on my app to get me in?" And by all means- have fun.

I would love to go to a foreign country. Although I have already visited Mexico, Canada, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Germany, United Kingdom, France, and Italy, I would seriously consider going to a foreign country. But! - the thing that prevents me from doing this is that I am not assured a spot in a medical school. I have to stay here and apply soon (about 3 months) then I have to wait here for the secondaries and interview opportunity. When they come the question will be, what the heck did you do to improve your app? What can I say then... I went to Italy and lived on the beach for 6 months?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to travel through Europe but I want to do this after I get accepted and have that summer before medical school starts so there is nothing on my mind and I can relax. No worries about reapplying. Just relaxing before I begin the career I've always wanted.

You're right, you really don't have that much time to improve your application for 2007, so you have three options: (1) take a year off, do something wildly impressive and apply for 2008, (2) reapply this year to the same schools doing small things to improve your app, or (3) reapply this year to different schools who won't ask how you've improved your application. I really think that this whole process is random - you could very well get multiple acceptances next year with a different combination of schools and different people looking at your app. Don't give up hope - it really sucks to get rejected, but getting bitter and pissed off will not only make YOU feel crappy, it will also make it harder to get in next year. I wish you the best of luck! :luck:

Hey - quick question that I have to ask.

For an IL resident, should this be enough:

Verbal=8
Physical=10
Biological=11
Writing=Q
Total=29Q

The people at Rush said I should retake the MCAT to bring my verbal up to a 9. That's crazy. Retake the MCAT to increase by 1 point? Oh man, that is a brutal request. UIC said "it wouldn't hurt to retake the mcat to increase your verbal" but that the "rest of my app was fine all around".

Should I retake the August mcat? I'd have to quit a lot of my activities...

I would say if these schools are telling you to retake the MCAT then I wouldn't be posting on here looking for advice- Retake it but make sure you are ready! You need to get over that 30 hill!

dogdayafternoon said:
Hey - quick question that I have to ask.

For an IL resident, should this be enough:

Verbal=8
Physical=10
Biological=11
Writing=Q
Total=29Q

The people at Rush said I should retake the MCAT to bring my verbal up to a 9. That's crazy. Retake the MCAT to increase by 1 point? Oh man, that is a brutal request. UIC said "it wouldn't hurt to retake the mcat to increase your verbal" but that the "rest of my app was fine all around".

Should I retake the August mcat? I'd have to quit a lot of my activities...

Lionking,

yeah, but I applied real late. For this new cycle, I'm applying right off the bat. And my GPA is astronomical. Do these two things overcome 1 point on the MCAT?

dogdayafternoon said:

I'm round two. That means I'm on rejection oh 40 or so... it does get easier...

In the mean time try this time tested coping mechanism.

guinness3az.gif

Depakote said:
I'm round two. That means I'm on rejection oh 40 or so... it does get easier...

In the mean time try this time tested coping mechanism.

guinness3az.gif
HAHAHAHA.... I'm afraid if I turn to alcohol this early in my life, I will turn to it more often.

I suggest you start drinking heavily, you should listen to me, I'm Pre-med.

Hey man, don't worry about other people getting accepted....you need to focus on your application. Granted that certain situations involving friends leave your mouth ajar mumbling a polite "what the...?" but in this game there are no tried and true method or rulebook to follow through. **** happens in this process, it's best to develop a thick skin and learn to roll with the punches. FYI, this is my third year applying (very abysmal track record) but if I didn't follow my own advice, I'd have drank anti-freeze and would have expired a long time ago. Hang in there.

This is my advice: Since the med schools told you that you should improve your MCAT, go ahead and do it. Maybe you could even take the April one. And APPLY EARLY to ROLLING ADMISSIONS schools. You could then get early interviews and be "rolling" in interviews and acceptances by January and THEN you get SEVEN MONTHS of travel! Even a 29 MCAT with stellar GPA should get you in if you apply early and broadly I would think.
The question is if you should study for the MCATs and not take it until August. Then you lose some of the early, but that shouldn't keep you from getting your AMCAS and secondaries done over the summer and should still get some earlier interviews. To me, it would be a crapshoot whether it is worth it to take the August MCAT and be a little later on apps versus the April and not be as ready. I'd have to take some practice MCATs and see where you are at this time.
I have confidence that you will be successful next year because if it is something that you really want, you will achieve it.
So take that practice MCAT and see where you're at.