medical school supplies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indebt4Life

Chilling like a Villain
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
My mom is receiving one free item from some medical brochure. Should I get the less expensive stethoscope ~ $78 or the more expensive blood pressure cuff thingofamagig ~ 136.95? I want to get the more expensive one. Will I use it in med school though?

What other supplies do I need?

Members don't see this ad.

Indebt4Life said:
Hey everyone,
My mom is receiving one free item from some medical brochure. Should I get the less expensive stethoscope ~ $78 or the more expensive blood pressure cuff thingofamagig ~ 136.95? I want to get the more expensive one. Will I use it in med school though?

What other supplies do I need?

what company is the steth? i don't know any med students with cuffs (though you can get one for ~$20). in my experience you'll usu use a clinic/hospital cuff when you see patients but you'll always need a stethoscope

Stethoscope - Most useful, and possibly the only thing you'll continue to use after med school.

Opthalmo/Otolaryngoscope - The eye-ear thingy. Costs roughly $700 at retail. If you can get this one for free, go for it. In most cases I would be surprised if your school didn't "require" you to buy one.

-----------------------------------------

Blood pressure cuff - Pretty useless -- they're on the walls at every bedside in the hospital -- but our school asked us to buy one. Really wish I hadn't -- but then, they asked. Sigh. Were I to do it again, I would not buy it, but borrow from a classmate in the rare event that I need one (OSCE, see below).

-----------------------------------------

A few cheap random bits and pieces we also were told to buy:

Tuning fork
Eye card
Reflex hammer

We do need these to do the OSCE (objective structured clinical exams) exams, but these put together will cost you $10 total.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is the Littmann Master Classic II Stethoscope. Should I go ahead and order it?

Indebt4Life said:
It is the Littmann Master Classic II Stethoscope. Should I go ahead and order it?

i agree with everything illianaS said. Littmann's a good company and, I'd def get the steth. you'll find that in med school some peeps are really picky about their steths and a lot of folks love the Littman Cardiology (a lot of folks don't and have the Master and other Companies, so don't worry). there's also a lot of steth stealing in the hospital so you don't want to shell out too mcuh for one anyways.

no, there are not offering eye/ear scope. The are offering the throat scope (otoscope). cheap bastards.

Oto = ear. ;)

You don't need the full-fledged scope that comes in a zip case. If it comes with the optho (eye) part as well, it is sufficient. As long as the thing lets you look 1) in people's ears, and 2) in people's eyes, you use that to shine it up people's noses and throats as well. It's okay to get a mini one if it's a good brand (Welch Allyn is what I have) -- saves lots of money.

I have the Litmann Classic II steth and it works fine for me.