Medical School Transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ziva23

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been doing some research on which US schools accept transfer student from UAG. So far, none of them do. Does anyone know if there is a school that would accept transfers from UAG in the 2nd year?

Ziva

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I've been doing some research on which US schools accept transfer student from UAG. So far, none of them do. Does anyone know if there is a school that would accept transfers from UAG in the 2nd year?

Ziva
Very unlikely

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I have another question. Is anyone familiar with the HPSP program offered by the Army. I was thinking of applying to get accepted for this program but only students enrolled at medical schools in the US and Puerto Rico qualify. So I'm stuck between deciding to go to UAG this Fall or waiting another year and go to a US medical school in Fall 2019 so I can qualify for this program. What do you guys think?

Ok, I have another question. Is anyone familiar with the HPSP program offered by the Army. I was thinking of applying to get accepted for this program but only students enrolled at medical schools in the US and Puerto Rico qualify. So I'm stuck between deciding to go to UAG this Fall or waiting another year and go to a US medical school in Fall 2019 so I can qualify for this program. What do you guys think?
Are you a us citizen that wants to work in the US? Then don’t go to a foreign school

Stats?

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, I'm a U.S. citizen, undergraduate from UCSD. I don't mind going to UAG, the program requires you to stay there 2 years, next 2 years of rotations is in the U.S. anyway. I'm just not sure if I should wait a year and go to a U.S. school in order to apply for the HPSP scholarship or start at UAG this Fall.

Yes, I'm a U.S. citizen, undergraduate from UCSD. I don't mind going to UAG, the program requires you to stay there 2 years, next 2 years of rotations is in the U.S. anyway. I'm just not sure if I should wait a year and go to a U.S. school in order to apply for the HPSP scholarship or start at UAG this Fall.

Stats?

And no, don’t go to UAG if you want to be an american doctor

Reactions: 4 users
Oh ok. What stats?

Oh ok. What stats?

Your stats. What's your college gpa, science gpa, mcat score. Pretty much the hard stuff that determines your chance of getting into medical school.

gpa is great, haven't taken the MCAT. Chances of getting in are definite. Question is to wait or not?

Wait and go to a US school.

gpa is great, haven't taken the MCAT. Chances of getting in are definite. Question is to wait or not?
Wait and take the mcat
What are your actual numbers
Definitely do not go before trying application in US

My recommendation is to research this much more thoroughly. I'm guessing you think that "any medical school makes me a doctor" so why not go to one that doesn't require the MCAT, where you can start more quickly. This is simply untrue. You should explore the IMG forums here, and see the challenges faced. You also should only apply to the HPSP if you're certain that pathway is a good fit for you, there's also a military forum you should review.

The advice on this thread is spot on -- attending a US school should always be your primary goal, even if it results in a several year delay in getting your career started, especially if you're interested in GS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you even consider going to UAG before trying to get into a U.S. school? I'm sorry, but the fact that you're asking this question tells me you need to do about a year's worth of research on how to become a doctor in the United States before you even look into applying, let alone wondering if you can transfer.

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you so much for the advice. Some were very helpful. Some are just ridiculous.

To aProgDirector: I don't want to go to a school that doesn't require the MCAT. That alone indicates that its probably not a good school to attend.

To sb247: really helpful advice. Thank you.

To Mass Effect: You are obviously so self-involved that you can't imagine why in the world I am considering this. Must have something to do with my personal life circumstances...Actually, the fact that I am asking this means I have researched a whole lot. I would not be asking this question if I had no idea how it worked. I know EVERY SINGLE thing there is to know about medical school in the US and out. The reason why I am considering this is my business. I know what the best option is but needed a second opinion.

I would not be asking this question if I had no idea how it worked.

Logical fallacy - I am interested to see how you'd fair on an exam such as the MCAT

I know EVERY SINGLE thing there is to know about medical school in the US and out.

If that were the case, then why did you ask the question in the OP?

Reactions: 11 users
Very few schools even allow for transfers between US medical schools let alone a Caribbean medical school that accepts students with questionable stats. If your grades weren't good enough to get you in the front door why would any US school take the chance on a Caribbean transfer?

Hell, even the Caribbean grads that have shown their mettle by crushing STEP1 and 2 barely get any interviews at low end FM, IM, prelim gen surg programs. Going to UAG thinking to transfer will shut so many doors so fast your head will be spinning.

Very few schools even allow for transfers between US medical schools let alone a Caribbean medical school that accepts students with questionable stats. If your grades weren't good enough to get you in the front door why would any US school take the chance on a Caribbean transfer?

Hell, even the Caribbean grads that have shown their mettle by crushing STEP1 and 2 barely get any interviews at low end FM, IM, prelim gen surg programs. Going to UAG thinking to transfer will shut so many doors so fast your head will be spinning.

Yeah, I've explored the options there on my own. Doesn't seem like a good idea. thanks

Logical fallacy - I am interested to see how you'd fair on an exam such as the MCAT

If that were the case, then why did you ask the question in the OP?

So am I, looking forward to taking it :D

I asked the question because I can.

Thank you so much for the advice. Some were very helpful. Some are just ridiculous.

To aProgDirector: I don't want to go to a school that doesn't require the MCAT. That alone indicates that its probably not a good school to attend.

To Mass Effect: You are obviously so self-involved that you can't imagine why in the world I am considering this. Must have something to do with my personal life circumstances...Actually, the fact that I am asking this means I have researched a whole lot. I would not be asking this question if I had no idea how it worked. I know EVERY SINGLE thing there is to know about medical school in the US and out. The reason why I am considering this is my business. I know what the best option is but needed a second opinion.

All you’ve shown here is an appalling degree of misinformation. Unless you want to provide detailed stats, might as well not bother asking us questions since you “know it all” anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
All you’ve shown here is an appalling degree of misinformation. Unless you want to provide detailed stats, might as well not bother asking us questions since you “know it all” anyway.

Thank you :)

It seems you don't understand the question that was originally being asked. Please go ahead read, and then re-read to better understand it. Those who have understood have answered. If you don't understand, either ask or don't try to answer/comment/add on to a question you do not understand. Thank you. Goodnight.

Last edited:
No one who actually know stuff and has an ounce of maturity will ever claim they “know every single thing” about anything. Heck, I know PIs who worked on something for their entire life and they still say there’s more that we don’t know. So I take personal offense when you say you know everything and since you want to be a physician, I recommend you throw that attitude away before you hurt future patients.
And if you really did know as much as you claimed, you would’ve realized that med school rarely take transfers, let alone from carribean schools. You’re also asking questions on the internet, grow up and grow out of your snowflake sensitivity and cocky attitude.

Reactions: 5 users
@ziva23 When I said to start your own thread with a question instead of bumping old threads, this is NOT what I had in mind.

Reactions: 4 users

:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

Reactions: 1 users

Call outs and insulting other users on SDN are terms of service violations.

Furthermore your claiming to be an M.D./PhD student in your status is considered a misrepresentation and a further violation.

Please reread our terms of service before posting again.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you. Have a good day. I do know medical school rarely takes transfers. Like I said before, I was getting a second opinion. It's an impossible thing to do know everything about something. I just said that in response to people who were making it sound like I don't know what I'm doing because I asked a question (that I'll take back). Funny. I have not stated to be an MD student, that's probably a mistake on the profile. That will be corrected immediately. I'm speechless as to how some people have responded to this. Please just chill. Thank you.

Last edited:
There are no scores because I have yet to take the MCAT. Are you clearly reading the comments? :) Thank you for all the information :) It's actually helpful and I've happened to run into most during my search. I do not apologize for anything I said. Have a wonderful day.

Hi,

Ziva
LCME schools do not consider transfers from non-LCME schools.
The few that do consider transfers take applications between the 2nd and third years (with a step 1 score). This is due to variability in curricula.

LCME schools do not consider transfers from non-LCME schools.
The few that do consider transfers take applications between the 2nd and third years (with a step 1 score). This is due to variability in curricula.

Thank you